Looking to buy next MacBook help!!!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
gritz
Posts: 215
Joined: 08 May 2018
Location: London

Post 17 Nov 2022

Hi all,

Circumstances have occurred which will allow me to purchase a new macbook and looking at the newer models however, not sure which would
Be best for music production especially with using Reason 12.

I don’t want to just get the most expensive version all singing and dancing if the high end additions are not really adding to my music production quality of life,
I understand for instance that GPU size is really for graphics and would I need 16gb of GPU, sure if I was a video editor but not for music production.

So my question is this, simply I want to update my macbook (2015) to a new one, which would be most suitable for me?

I use REASON 12 as my DAW and I use arturia V9 and native instruments Konkakt as well as cherry audio soft synths and 8DIO orchestra packages for strings.
With that in mind, what is the best MACBOOK for memory and speed, E.G. 2021 Apple MacBook Pro 16", M1 Max Processor, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD ?

Heater
Posts: 754
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 17 Nov 2022

I've got a MacBook Air M1 8G and it's been more than fine for music production.

User avatar
stillifegaijin
Posts: 179
Joined: 27 Oct 2020

Post 17 Nov 2022

I just got the base model 14" MacBook Pro. M1 Pro chip. It's amazing and more than enough. I'm not sure that any upgrade aside from maybe more storage would be particularly useful.

I did not go with the M2 Air because I was concerned about throttling from heat due to lack of fan, especially at live shows.

Yonatan
Posts: 1529
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 18 Nov 2022

I am in similar situation and wonder how the fans in Macbook Pro is working. One of the biggest annayances in my earlier macbook is the loud fan noise.

User avatar
gritz
Posts: 215
Joined: 08 May 2018
Location: London

Post 18 Nov 2022

I think my main concern is getting a MacBook where I’m paying for elements I won’t need eg more for video editing etc - but need more memory and more storage availability

User avatar
stillifegaijin
Posts: 179
Joined: 27 Oct 2020

Post 19 Nov 2022

Yonatan wrote:
18 Nov 2022
I am in similar situation and wonder how the fans in Macbook Pro is working. One of the biggest annayances in my earlier macbook is the loud fan noise.
I've still never even heard the fan turn on...But it's nice to know that it's there is I need it.

EdGrip
Posts: 2281
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 19 Nov 2022

More CPU power is the key thing for running many virtual instruments and effects at the same time. Remember you're thinking not only about today's plugins, but the plugins in 5 years' time.

An upgrade from the basic RAM spec is a safe bet generally, but especially if you use sample-based instruments (Kontakt libraries).

GPU, as you say, is not really relevant for music production. (The basic on-chip GPUs are even quite capable for video editing these days.)

That's it. Obviously the more USB etc ports the better, but Apple don't like ports soooo

Personally, with laptops, I think it's worth spending more for a bigger screen because portability isn't a primary concern for me. I think 13"-14" screens are a bit small, regardless of how many pixels. On the other hand, you can spend the difference on a proper monitor, and use the laptop as a little 2nd screen.

Get a mouse

User avatar
gritz
Posts: 215
Joined: 08 May 2018
Location: London

Post 19 Nov 2022

Thanks for your input guys as expected gpu size not that important compared to memory and storage and screen size -

Yonatan
Posts: 1529
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 19 Nov 2022

How much would be minimum as intermal SSD? I would guess 1TB.

Jac459
Posts: 481
Joined: 29 Mar 2022
Location: Singapore

Post 19 Nov 2022

I got an air m1 8gb and no issue of power at all, still more powerfull than my top of the line razer of 2020 with a i7 and 32gb ram.
Even on heavy session it doesnt get even a bit warm at all. I wouldn't worry about throttling.
Clearly the screen is important, the air is too small i guess ill probably go to a 16 but 14 may be ok too.
For ram I don't think more than 16gb is useful at all, i never got to the end of the 8gb of the air, rven with many rrp open . But certainly having 1tb of hard drive is a plus for the future.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Yonatan
Posts: 1529
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 19 Nov 2022

Jac459 wrote:
19 Nov 2022
I got an air m1 8gb and no issue of power at all, still more powerfull than my top of the line razer of 2020 with a i7 and 32gb ram.
Even on heavy session it doesnt get even a bit warm at all. I wouldn't worry about throttling.
Clearly the screen is important, the air is too small i guess ill probably go to a 16 but 14 may be ok too.
For ram I don't think more than 16gb is useful at all, i never got to the end of the 8gb of the air, rven with many rrp open . But certainly having 1tb of hard drive is a plus for the future.
Interesting to hear that you find your Air to be that level of capacity. For me, ram is where I can´t decide yet. My 2012 Macbook Pro has 16gb and I feel it needs more for my needs, but as you demonstrate, a fast enough proccessor and fast SSD, it is probably more streamline experience.
I guess if one want to live-stream while using music apps, it would be good to have extra ram, and with many sampled based virtual instruments. But one need to test to really know with these new computers. I guess it is easy to get a more powerful computer than one need. But as Apple dont allow later upgrading the momory etc, it is important to do the homework before buying a new computer.

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 2369
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 19 Nov 2022

Yonatan wrote:
19 Nov 2022
How much would be minimum as intermal SSD? I would guess 1TB.
This depends on how many big (sample based) REs you've got as those will be taking space on the system drive.

Yonatan
Posts: 1529
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 20 Nov 2022

jam-s wrote:
19 Nov 2022
Yonatan wrote:
19 Nov 2022
How much would be minimum as intermal SSD? I would guess 1TB.
This depends on how many big (sample based) REs you've got as those will be taking space on the system drive.
Having only 500gb now so already deliting RE•s as Reason Bass (takes 5 gb when its refill counterpart is way less),.

My dream is to have 4 Tb ssd but it is way too expensive now. 1 tb would be minimum, 2 would be havimg little headroom if buying a computer that will last a while. Some things can be outsourced to an external ssd.

And if sampled based plugins, internal storage ans ram seem to be essential, but if using physical modeling instruments, cpu seem to be of more importance.

User avatar
tallguy
Posts: 317
Joined: 11 Jan 2018

Post 21 Nov 2022

The fan on my MacBook Pro will only come on when I'm rendering 3D animations. It doesn't kick in for Reason. But even when it kicks in, it's very quiet

Jac459
Posts: 481
Joined: 29 Mar 2022
Location: Singapore

Post 01 Dec 2022

Yonatan wrote:
19 Nov 2022

Interesting to hear that you find your Air to be that level of capacity. For me, ram is where I can´t decide yet. My 2012 Macbook Pro has 16gb and I feel it needs more for my needs, but as you demonstrate, a fast enough proccessor and fast SSD, it is probably more streamline experience.
I guess if one want to live-stream while using music apps, it would be good to have extra ram, and with many sampled based virtual instruments. But one need to test to really know with these new computers. I guess it is easy to get a more powerful computer than one need. But as Apple dont allow later upgrading the momory etc, it is important to do the homework before buying a new computer.
What is even better is that with 8gb, i dont even use the ssd to swap. The memory pressure shows that only the real ram is used.
Of course mileage may vary...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 6 guests