STREAMDECK USERS? Sharing is caring.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
selig
RE Developer

Post 17 Nov 2022

joeyluck wrote:
17 Nov 2022
jam-s wrote:
17 Nov 2022

I have to check, but it might be possible using multi-actions.

EDIT: I've just tested this and yes multi actions can do this.
That's awesome! Thanks for checking! :thumbup:

I think that's how I would set it up...

My view buttons would always be in the same spot on every page, and each one would would switch the view in Reason and pull up the shortcuts more specific to that view. And I suppose with 32 buttons of the XL, I'd probably have a few other repeats of course.

Not sure if I would need the more common ones on buttons...or how long it would take me to use the Streamdeck for things like save, copy, paste, etc. Hard to break that muscle memory. But then it just means more available buttons! Lol

I'm definitely going to consider this. I might still wait to see where the 'plus' line goes.
I feel like we are in the same boat here. I'm looking at the 32 XL and even with all those buttons I'm thinking I'm still gonna need paging either by screen (Mixer/Sequencer/Rack) or by function/workflow (tracking/creating/starting, building/overdubbing, mixing/mastering).

And while I'm curious about the Plus line I'm not sure I'm sold on fewer buttons and needing knobs in a controller like this. May pull the trigger on the XL sooner rather than later because I know I can use it today. I can wait on knobs or maybe get a separate knob controller (or single wheel used as a hover controller?). So many options these days, a veritable embarrassment of riches! ;)

I'll post back if I end up getting one, will have questions I'm sure and hopefully tips as well.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

Post 24 Nov 2022

selig wrote:
17 Nov 2022
I'll post back if I end up getting one, will have questions I'm sure and hopefully tips as well.
Annnnd, I ended up getting the Stream Deck XL and couldn’t be happier! Will likely cover this in my next livestream coming up in exactly one week. Hopefully I’ll have finished the basic setup for Reason (and LUNA).

But what I realized would be REALLY cool if someone which the proper skills would get ahold of the Stream Deck SDK and write a proper Reason plugin for this. As it is, it’s a nice way to send key commands to Reason, but there is no feedback. So you can’t have the record button light up when you’re in record, or the click button light up to indicate the click is on etc.

But it sure helps in certain areas, like zooming track sizes up/down for which I could never remember the proper key commands (they are not easy to remember IMO), and for combining commands which I’m just now learning about.

I’m also making all my own buttons which I’m happy to share once I get everything fine tuned. More later…
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

Post 30 Nov 2022

MuttReason wrote:
14 Nov 2022
So a question: has anyone found any icon libraries that are designed for a music DAW? There are libraries for a bunch of different creative apps including video editing, but I couldn’t find any for music production apps. I ended up hunting through thousands of different generic icon options to assemble a (sorta) consistent set for my Reason template, and even then it isn’t ideal (and I guarantee that an icon that kinda makes sense to me would leave other people baffled… :D)
I'm building various icons for Reason, so far including the transport and a few others like the click icon - what are you looking for?

Many of my buttons so far have been text because of the lack of appropriate icons, such as Select All or Save etc.
Selig Audio, LLC

MuttReason

Post 01 Dec 2022

selig wrote:
30 Nov 2022
MuttReason wrote:
14 Nov 2022
So a question: has anyone found any icon libraries that are designed for a music DAW? There are libraries for a bunch of different creative apps including video editing, but I couldn’t find any for music production apps. I ended up hunting through thousands of different generic icon options to assemble a (sorta) consistent set for my Reason template, and even then it isn’t ideal (and I guarantee that an icon that kinda makes sense to me would leave other people baffled… :D)
I'm building various icons for Reason, so far including the transport and a few others like the click icon - what are you looking for?

Many of my buttons so far have been text because of the lack of appropriate icons, such as Select All or Save etc.
Thanks! Transport, loop on/off and click for sure. Beyond those, mostly buttons related to different views and zoom settings in the Sequencer. I can never remember the keystroke combinations involved :D

Also new Dub and Alt take lanes for MIDI tracks (as Reason still inexplicably only autogenerates take lanes for audio, not MIDI).

Another good one would be the recording input level meter (Cmd + F3 from memory) as this is a bit fiddly to pull up when I have my bass guitar in my hands or if I'm in front of a mic away from the computer.

I'm sure others will have suggestions as well.

selig
RE Developer

Post 01 Dec 2022

MuttReason wrote:
01 Dec 2022
selig wrote:
30 Nov 2022

Thanks! Transport, loop on/off and click for sure. Beyond those, mostly buttons related to different views and zoom settings in the Sequencer. I can never remember the keystroke combinations involved :D

Also new Dub and Alt take lanes for MIDI tracks (as Reason still inexplicably only autogenerates take lanes for audio, not MIDI).

Another good one would be the recording input level meter (Cmd + F3 from memory) as this is a bit fiddly to pull up when I have my bass guitar in my hands or if I'm in front of a mic away from the computer.

I'm sure others will have suggestions as well.
Some of these can be done with keystrokes or MIDI, with advantages to both. Transport for example can be keystrokes, which only work when the app is focused and have no visual feedback. MIDI via Mackie Control has feedback (the buttons can light when active and dim when not) and work even when the app is not in focus (and need two icons for on and off).
So I’ve generated all possible icons as well as some general purpose colors for functions where text makes more sense (new alt/dub come to mind, as well as zooming). Will be happy to share the icons or the Keynote file used to build them if it’s useful to anyone.
Also, I’m doing a livestream today (20:00 UTC, 3pm EST US) where I’ll be going over using StreamDeck with Reason (at least what I know so far, two weeks in), and you can see the icons and the process there if interested.
https://www.youtube.com/@SeligAudio
Selig Audio, LLC

MuttReason

Post 01 Dec 2022

Giles, you are an absolute legend. Thank you. Will join you on livestream if I can get work crunch out of the way first!

selig
RE Developer

Post 01 Dec 2022

MuttReason wrote:
01 Dec 2022
Giles, you are an absolute legend. Thank you. Will join you on livestream if I can get work crunch out of the way first!
No worries if not, I'll post and update the icons as I go, look for them in the livestream thread at some point after the stream ends:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7530122
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

Post 02 Dec 2022

Icons, get yer icons, free icons! Stream Deck users rejoice, the first set of Reason (etc) icons is here. ;)
This is my personal collection that I'm using (see my live stream for the icons in use), so it is still a work in progress. Feel free to share if you find any of them useful!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pd2xoo14advi ... g.zip?dl=0
Selig Audio, LLC

MuttReason

Post 02 Dec 2022

selig wrote:
02 Dec 2022
Icons, get yer icons, free icons! Stream Deck users rejoice, the first set of Reason (etc) icons is here. ;)
This is my personal collection that I'm using (see my live stream for the icons in use), so it is still a work in progress. Feel free to share if you find any of them useful!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pd2xoo14advi ... g.zip?dl=0
Great job! Thanks! :thumbup:

• Information