Ableton Note: Picking Up Where Reason Compact Failed

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EnochLight

18 Oct 2022

Well, this is pretty cool. Really wish Reason Studios would have kept up with Reason Compact and further developed it (the cloud sync is an awesome feature):

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PhillipOrdonez

18 Oct 2022

Love it. No Android though 😞

Chi-Individual

18 Oct 2022

EnochLight wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Well, this is pretty cool. Really wish Reason Studios would have kept up with Reason Compact and further developed it (the cloud sync is an awesome feature):
I hope they throw their name back in the game. With Cubasis, FL Mobile, GB and now Ableton, I would love to have a redesigned Reason Compact. Maybe they will reconsider if enough interest is shown :?:

Popey
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Love it. No Android though 😞
Saw this and it looked so cool, then saw your comment about no android version ☹️

Cmon ableton, sort it out 😂

Jac459

18 Oct 2022

Yeah, I generally pretty much don't care on the platform I use, so I would have switched to iOS but I felt in love with foldables... And these apps would be awesome with a foldable by the way...

EDIT: Actually my bad, Cubasis and FL are on android. I will wait politely in my corner for RS or Bitwig to create an app for Android, don't want to sketch in a different ecosystem than where I finish the music.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

EnochLight

18 Oct 2022

Chi-Individual wrote:
18 Oct 2022
I hope they throw their name back in the game. With Cubasis, FL Mobile, GB and now Ableton, I would love to have a redesigned Reason Compact. Maybe they will reconsider if enough interest is shown :?:
Honestly, I don't even want a re-designed Reason Compact - I feel the current approach worked well. I just wanted... "more" - I wanted a more fully fleshed out MIDI grid editor; I wanted a way to build song ideas (preferably via Blocks); I wanted it to have more devices/effects appear, even as an in-app purchase would have been fine; I wanted cloud sync with fully compatible Project import with Reason DAW; I wanted stems; I just... wanted them to keep maturing the platform.

But they did the app, issued a few updates, and... re-assigned the Project Manager (I don't even know if she still works for them actually), and stopped updating it. The last update was over a year ago, in fact. And yeah, I know - I know - small company with limited resources, etc. If I have to pick between Reason DAW updates and Compact, I'll of course choose Reason DAW proper! :lol: But.. man.. would have been really nice if Reason Studios would have just put the money up, and kept a fulltime mobile dev or two on payroll specifically just for Compact R&D and further updates. And had them report direct to the actual Reason (DAW/RRP) project manager.

In another life, I suppose...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

honeyBadger

18 Oct 2022

The value proposition compared to reason compact is also so much better. One instrument unlock in reason compact costs more than the entire ableton note app. Really wish reason studios would took another look at it and invest just a little more time to refine it.

Chi-Individual

18 Oct 2022

EnochLight wrote:
18 Oct 2022
But they did the app, issued a few updates, and... re-assigned the Project Manager (I don't even know if she still works for them actually), and stopped updating it. The last update was over a year ago, in fact.
This is why I’d like a redesign. I’d love all the features you mentioned but also after seeing what was possible with NanoStudio 2, Cubasis, Beatmaker 3, even FL Mobile, I would pay for an app and buy the add-ons to be able to have the Reason DAW experience in iOS. Nothing special. It can be a Europa, a drum machine and a sampler, basic fx like those of NanoStudio, and a proper way to mix, even if it’s just a rough mix. But done the RS way taking advantage of the more power mobile platforms. And then add DAW integration like the others and you’re set.

MuttReason

18 Oct 2022

I’ve bought Ableton Note and have been playing around with it. It’s fun and I can see how it could be useful for a quick beat or bassline. It’s a simple sketch pad (not trying to take on Korg Gadget or Drambo) and if anything reminds me of the old Propellerheads Figure app (remember that?) which, like Ableton Note, was all about quick ideas while on the train/bus etc. I’ll give it a go to see if it is useful in real life (although I suspect it’ll end up gathering virtual dust on a virtual shelf like a lot of my other iOS music apps!).

Jackjackdaw

18 Oct 2022

I loved Reason compact! Was gutted it got dropped before it reached its potential. (After shelling out 30 notes for it!) The only iOS music app I don’t think was a waste of money is Koala sampler. I just use it to store loops and ideas I make in Reason so I can hear them on the go.

EnochLight

18 Oct 2022

Jackjackdaw wrote:
18 Oct 2022
The only iOS music app I don’t think was a waste of money is Koala sampler. I just use it to store loops and ideas I make in Reason so I can hear them on the go.
Koala is great - that's another one on my iPhone. You might also check out Flip Sampler, a collaboration between Suture Sound and Andrew Huang. It's intuitive, and it has a lot of deep editing and sound design features, along with a metric ton of other stuff (its side-chain feature is worth it alone IMHO). It does tend to cater to the "beat making" crowd (see: MPC), but FF to 30 seconds in to get into it:

Nice content sampling here showing the ability to automate sample start time in a sequence:

Aosta

18 Oct 2022

Korg Gadget is still by far the most comprehensive mobile creation tool in my opinion.
Tend the flame

EnochLight

18 Oct 2022

Agreed. Korg Gadget is pretty much how I wished Propellerhead would have commenced with Reason as a mobile solution. They even did a Dr. Octorex Gadget for them!

honeyBadger

18 Oct 2022

EnochLight wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Agreed. Korg Gadget is pretty much how I wished Propellerhead would have commenced with Reason as a mobile solution. They even did a Dr. Octorex Gadget for them!
It’s strange that they’ve managed to port Thor, portions of kong for figure, have code for audio recording in take, ported Europa, and created two new devices (rytmik and monotone) just for iOS, plus the Rex player for gadget, but not come up with something cohesive that blends all of it together. They’ve got all the pieces that would make a great gadget alternative, but all developed at separate points in time so probably difficult for them to unify.

Mini Thor and Mini Grain with sampling or a mini id8 and mini Rex, plus a basic version of blocks would be so great to have in reason compact.

At this point, ableton, cubase, logic and fl studio all have companion mobile apps that are actively developed.

I’m also surprised they didn’t incorporate it as part of reason+, getting access to the app and all in app purchases with an active subscription, similar to how Roland zenbeats is set up.

selig
RE Developer

18 Oct 2022

honeyBadger wrote:
18 Oct 2022
It’s strange that they’ve managed to port Thor, portions of kong for figure, have code for audio recording in take, ported Europa, and created two new devices (rytmik and monotone) just for iOS, plus the Rex player for gadget, but not come up with something cohesive that blends all of it together. They’ve got all the pieces that would make a great gadget alternative, but all developed at separate points in time so probably difficult for them to unify.
I agree it is especially strange to be know for "the rack" but not be able to leverage that into an app format.
Also agree Gadget is the closest to what Reason could be - and Reason could be so much more!
Selig Audio, LLC

Chi-Individual

18 Oct 2022

Maybe if RS knew a project like this would get financial support from the users they’d might reconsider.

If they developed RC to the level of any of the previously mentioned iOS apps, I’d happily pay $20 in support. Just give me Reason on the go.

honeyBadger

18 Oct 2022

Chi-Individual wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Maybe if RS knew a project like this would get financial support from the users they’d might reconsider.
I think what ableton has done will with note is highlight the features their daw is known for with scenes. I think this is where reason fell short with compact. As RS has said, reason is the rack, but there is nothing rack like about the app, you can’t stack devices or connect cables. Another approach would have been to create a mobile friendly combinator, allowing you to create semi complex patches on the go. This reminds me that they also created a mobile version of their player devices in reason compact inside of Europa (arp and chords). So they’re like 80% of the way there.

EnochLight

18 Oct 2022

Chi-Individual wrote:
18 Oct 2022

If they developed RC to the level of any of the previously mentioned iOS apps, I’d happily pay $20 in support. Just give me Reason on the go.
To be fair, they tried that - with Reason Compact and in-app purchases. It didn't work (at least clearly didn't generate enough revenue worth throwing back into supporting further development). I'd wager that mobile apps like these are loss-leaders for all of the major players (FL Studio, Cubase, Ableton - they absolutely won't make that much money off of these apps - they're just another cog in the wheel to a "complete" product IMHO).

bxbrkrz

18 Oct 2022

My feeling is Reason is an incubator of great ideas for other companies to be 'inspired' from, but they push further, while RS just let their ideas die of thirst. Very glad to see the Note app, although I am on Android. I have seen a bit of Figure (the mixer) now in two apps, the T.E. app for the Pixel phone, and now Note. Maybe it is not a unique look, but I remember when I saw it for the first time. Bitter sweet.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Termigator

18 Oct 2022

making music on phones is useless to me
it’s just like a fun game
it’s too fiddly on a little screen

Mattvank

19 Oct 2022

I use often Touch OSC and in summary i would say, for buttons and visual feedback the smartphone is excellend but Faders and Knobs and of course Keys it is a much less but working fun.

Pepin

19 Oct 2022

Personally, I'd be more interested in something like Logic Remote for Reason than a standalone mobile app.

Mark_B

22 Feb 2023

In emails exchanged with Reason Studios, they say they have no one on staff now with iOS experience. That's why there's no new Reason Compact development or maintenance. Sucks, because I use Reason Compact's grid input all the time, then upload to Dropbox or use Files FE for direct transfer to my MacBook Pro M1 for further song development in Reason 12.

Ableton Note doesn't have a grid I can use for note / drum hit input. I love Reason Compact's grid for tapping in ideas. Classical piano training as a kid and a few years onstage and in bricks and mortar studios left me comfortable with apps mimicking conventional studio equipment, piano keyboards and sequencers.
Mark B, MSEE
Dinosaur Artist

EnochLight

22 Feb 2023

Mark_B wrote:
22 Feb 2023
In emails exchanged with Reason Studios, they say they have no one on staff now with iOS experience.
Yes, I mentioned as much several posts up from yours. In October of last year. :thumbup:

• Information