Studio One 6 released

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
avasopht
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2022

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studi ... udio-one-6
Studio One 6: What's New wrote:
Our most personal upgrade yet

Subtle (and not-so-subtle) user interface improvements combine with powerful customization features to free your mind for music and stay focused.

Smart Templates

Faster Starts.

New Smart Templates provide essential toolsets for the tasks at hand, including basic recording, mixing stems, mastering an album, and setting up for a live show. Play an instrument or produce a podcast with a single click. Use the convenient drop zone to easily import audio, video, and MIDI files. Interactive tutorials are even included with select templates.

Customization Editor

Just the tools you need.

The new Customization Editor provides a convenient and easy way to show or hide nearly every tool and function. Changes are applied instantly, so you can show or hide any feature as needed to create a streamlined, focused workflow for the task at hand.

Industry-Leading Lyrics Integration

Add lyrics to your scores, songs, productions, and live performances.

Whether you’re creating lead sheets with the Score Editor or adding lyrics as guideposts to your audio productions, you’ll find a use for the Lyrics Track. Lyrics can even be transferred to the Show Page to use during rehearsals or on those long-haul performances.

Global Video Track

A new way to add sound to picture.

The all-new Global Video Track provides an intuitive video workflow thanks to the familiar drag and drop functionality that made Studio One famous. Need to cut together a quick edit or streamline your podcast workflow? No problem. Basic editing features for the Video Track are also available.

Track Presets

Save and recall snapshots of your favorite track setups.

Take your workflow efficiency to a new level! Store every aspect of a given track or channel for instant recall, even for multiple selected tracks/channels. Track Presets store parameters like track delay, time-stretch, follow chords as well as Channel parameters like volume, pan, inserts, send assignments, and more! Track Presets can even be applied to existing channels.

And much more, including:
1. Advanced Collaboration with Presonus Sphere
2. De-Esser
3. Vocoder
4. ProEQ....3
5. Advanced Mixer with Fader Flip
6. Alternative Panning Modes
7. Mixer Channel Overview
8. Browser Favorites and Folders
9. Updated Start Page and so much more! ...

DaveyG

30 Sep 2022

It's receiving a bit of a muted reaction from many users. Quite a few of the new features are actually extensions of stuff that already existed in some form. The general feeling is that it's more like a point release than a major release and the upgrade price has gone up by about 50%. They've obviously been learning from the RS way of "incentivising" users to use the subscription rather than buy it outright. The upgrade price is within a few squids of the crossgrade to Cubase 12 Pro so I think they may lose some users in that direction.

I'd like the lyric track but that alone is not worth the upgrade price so I'll be keeping hold of my money, at least for a while. Studio One V6 might be Presonus' "Windows ME" moment... :shock:

QVprod

30 Sep 2022

It’s a good upgrade, I’m not pressed to get it, but I probably will at some point. Honestly, Studio One has had so many features added over the years that I doubt there are many “big” features left.

The video update is useful in this social media world. And the Deesser seems good so I can retire the last Waves plugin I’m using

DaveyG

30 Sep 2022

QVprod wrote:
30 Sep 2022
It’s a good upgrade, I’m not pressed to get it, but I probably will at some point. Honestly, Studio One has had so many features added over the years that I doubt there are many “big” features left.

The video update is useful in this social media world. And the Deesser seems good so I can retire the last Waves plugin I’m using
Video is one of those things that they are presenting as new but that is really just an extension of what was already there. You've been able to load a video and score to it since V4. It wasn't a separate track but it worked Ok. The biggest problem with it has always been the limited number of video formats it supports and they have not improved that.

The two most requested features that they are missing are Dolby Atmos support and a version of Live's session view. Either one of those would have gone a long way to placate the mildly peeved mob. :D

The world will keep turning though...

integerpoet

30 Sep 2022

Lack of Dolby Atmos support seems like one of those things a vocal minority will endlessly proclaim the fourth horseman of the apocalypse.

QVprod

01 Oct 2022

DaveyG wrote:
30 Sep 2022
QVprod wrote:
30 Sep 2022

Video is one of those things that they are presenting as new but that is really just an extension of what was already there. You've been able to load a video and score to it since V4. It wasn't a separate track but it worked Ok. The biggest problem with it has always been the limited number of video formats it supports and they have not improved that.

The two most requested features that they are missing are Dolby Atmos support and a version of Live's session view. Either one of those would have gone a long way to placate the mildly peeved mob. :D

The world will keep turning though...
They are presenting it as an update. When you watch the presentation it explains it much more. I've been aware of and have used the previous video capabilities, but the separate track to edit makes a notable difference in workflow for simple video cuts where you just need to trim the beginning or end. It also loads multiple videos unlike before, so it can be useful for making visualizers or anything else where you're syncing video to audio rather than the oposite.

On the other hand, I don't think every DAW needs a session view. Live is probably best at that. I like the idea of DAWs being unique from each other. Dolby atmosphere is nice but I suspect most listeners will still be listening in regular stereo for the foreseeable future. The only feature that a miss from Studio One (from a Pro Tools background) is to be able to link plugin parameters on grouped channels.

In other exciting news though, I qualify for a free upgrade since I bought 5 recently! No deliberation needed :lol:

madmacman

03 Oct 2022

DaveyG wrote:
30 Sep 2022

Biggest problem with video is imho the lack of convenience tools. Especially automatic timing calculation between cue points to have the sync between video and bar-sized clips straight. I saw this in a Logic Pro demonstration and it was quite stunning.

danc

03 Oct 2022

It's the first major new version where the headline new features have not compelled me to upgrade. To be honest, S1 v5 is pretty rock solid and feature rich enough to not feel compelled to upgrade... yes, there are a few items on the wish-list, e.g. midi out on VSTi's can out of sync on the VST that is receiving it if the channel it is going to has plugins with latency on them - hopefully they'll sort that soon.

Plus for me... I have been waiting for automation to be contained within their own event clips (like you have in Reason).. so that you can easily move automation around and copy them. Yes you can put automation onto an audio/midi event and move that around, but i prefer my automation to be independent of those event clips.

And one day we might get some Bitwig style modulators for some LFO/envelope/step sequence fun.

But seriously... this is small clutching at straw stuff. Hardly the encyclopaedia of must haves for the next Reason release... if it ever arrives. e.g. VST3 yawn yawn yawn.
Check my Soundcloud:

rsnsnds

05 Oct 2022

Subscription models don't motivate developers to come up with new features

People will just pay to use the same features, otherwise they won't be able to use the program at all

No pay, no play

In the perpetual license model, developers were motivated to come up with enough new features to incentivize people to buy a new version

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2022

rsnsnds wrote:
05 Oct 2022
Subscription models don't motivate developers to come up with new features
Nah, that's not how software developers function.

We're intrinsically motivated. We don't need external incentives to innovate.

The biggest innovations in software are not financially motivated. And financial incentives were found in various studies to be quite antithetical to that type of cognitive task. Obviously, people need money to eat. So I'm not suggesting they don't need money at all. But we don't need external rewards to motivate us to innovate.

Probably the exact opposite.

rsnsnds

05 Oct 2022

If you're a developer, you probably know more about what motivates developers than me, as I'm not one

Maybe I should have used "companies" instead of "developers" when I wrote my post above

Here's the corrected post:

Subscription models don't motivate companies to come up with new features

People will just pay to use the same features, otherwise they won't be able to use the program at all

No pay, no play

In the perpetual license model, companies were motivated to come up with enough new features to incentivize people to buy a new version

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2022

rsnsnds wrote:
05 Oct 2022
If you're a developer, you probably know more about what motivates developers than me, as I'm not one

Maybe I should have used "companies" instead of "developers" when I wrote my post above

Here's the corrected post:

Subscription models don't motivate companies to come up with new features

No pay, no play

In the perpetual license model, companies were motivated to come up with enough new features to incentivize people to buy a new version
This completely ignores COMPETITION and RETENTION RATES.

I can tell you ahead of time that no, that's not a viable idea, and it's not what anyone is thinking in RS or Verdanne. Not at $20/mo.

There's a 0% chance R+ subscribers could be held hostage. People will switch DAWs in a heartbeat if they feel they're being held hostage by a subscription. Think of it this way, for someone to switch a DAW, they have to fork out money to buy into a completely new DAW and ecosystem. This is from people who have "free" access to their existing software and library going out of their way to use something else when they feel their DAW is stagnant.

What's worse is that a subscription makes it much easier to drop Reason, because if you ever do need to open an old project, you can just subscribe for a month or two.

Goriila Texas

18 Oct 2022

I ended up getting Presonus Sphere subscription because I just want the whole Studio One experience. I like the new mix fx Alpine desk and Brit console and everything else Presonus has to offer. They usually update every year or so anyway so paying $15 a month is about the same as upgrading every year.

avasopht wrote:
30 Sep 2022
https://www.presonus.com/products/Studi ... udio-one-6
Studio One 6: What's New wrote:
Our most personal upgrade yet

Subtle (and not-so-subtle) user interface improvements combine with powerful customization features to free your mind for music and stay focused.

Smart Templates

Faster Starts.

New Smart Templates provide essential toolsets for the tasks at hand, including basic recording, mixing stems, mastering an album, and setting up for a live show. Play an instrument or produce a podcast with a single click. Use the convenient drop zone to easily import audio, video, and MIDI files. Interactive tutorials are even included with select templates.

Customization Editor

Just the tools you need.

The new Customization Editor provides a convenient and easy way to show or hide nearly every tool and function. Changes are applied instantly, so you can show or hide any feature as needed to create a streamlined, focused workflow for the task at hand.

Industry-Leading Lyrics Integration

Add lyrics to your scores, songs, productions, and live performances.

Whether you’re creating lead sheets with the Score Editor or adding lyrics as guideposts to your audio productions, you’ll find a use for the Lyrics Track. Lyrics can even be transferred to the Show Page to use during rehearsals or on those long-haul performances.

Global Video Track

A new way to add sound to picture.

The all-new Global Video Track provides an intuitive video workflow thanks to the familiar drag and drop functionality that made Studio One famous. Need to cut together a quick edit or streamline your podcast workflow? No problem. Basic editing features for the Video Track are also available.

Track Presets

Save and recall snapshots of your favorite track setups.

Take your workflow efficiency to a new level! Store every aspect of a given track or channel for instant recall, even for multiple selected tracks/channels. Track Presets store parameters like track delay, time-stretch, follow chords as well as Channel parameters like volume, pan, inserts, send assignments, and more! Track Presets can even be applied to existing channels.

And much more, including:
1. Advanced Collaboration with Presonus Sphere
2. De-Esser
3. Vocoder
4. ProEQ....3
5. Advanced Mixer with Fader Flip
6. Alternative Panning Modes
7. Mixer Channel Overview
8. Browser Favorites and Folders
9. Updated Start Page and so much more! ...

• Information