What is Nektarine essentially?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Maxim

17 Aug 2022

Hi. I got my Nektar Panorama P4 and I'm currently exploring the possibilities. I'm completely new to the world of Nektarine and I haven't been able to completely grasp the idea. Could someone explain in a nutshell, what is Nektarine essentially and how does it compare with Remote mappings?

I'm pretty much asking this because I'm considering which route will I go: start doing Remote mappings or use Nektarine.

Thanks!

gkillmaster

17 Aug 2022

Maxim wrote:
17 Aug 2022
Hi. I got my Nektar Panorama P4 and I'm currently exploring the possibilities. I'm completely new to the world of Nektarine and I haven't been able to completely grasp the idea. Could someone explain in a nutshell, what is Nektarine essentially and how does it compare with Remote mappings?

I'm pretty much asking this because I'm considering which route will I go: start doing Remote mappings or use Nektarine.

Thanks!
I'm a user but not an expert. It is a program that allows you to create pages of controller mappings per plugin. It can scan the plugin and retrieve mappable parameters from which you can name and create pages that are accessible on the Panorama. I've used programs like this in the past, like NKS and Novation Automap and to me this is superior to those. I just started using it about 6 months ago and it has been very robust and useful and easy to learn. I ended up never using NKS for third party plugins and Automap ended up being more trouble for me than it was worth, but I use Nektarine regularly.

P.S. I think remote mappings are a deeper more integrated mapping language and a lot of the Reason devices have maps pre-programmed.

freddykr

17 Aug 2022

You should read up on this topic, there are tons of mappings already done for Nektar.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7491466

QVprod

17 Aug 2022

Nektarine is for mapping VSTs. Remote is for Reason standalone. Yes you can also do remote maps for VSTs directly, but Nektarine makes that process easier without dealing with remote files. And you can use the same mappings in other DAWs as well. The trade off is that you’re using a plugin wrapper.

gkillmaster

17 Aug 2022

QVprod wrote:
17 Aug 2022
Nektarine is for mapping VSTs. Remote is for Reason standalone. Yes you can also do remote maps for VSTs directly, but Nektarine makes that process easier without dealing with remote files. And you can use the same mappings in other DDAWs as well. The trade off is that you’re using a plugin wrapper.
You said that so much better and more concisely than me!

Billy+

17 Aug 2022

Using it will also enable you to use vst3 devices within Reason and it allows you to create racks similar to using RRP ;)

QVprod

17 Aug 2022

gkillmaster wrote:
17 Aug 2022
QVprod wrote:
17 Aug 2022
Nektarine is for mapping VSTs. Remote is for Reason standalone. Yes you can also do remote maps for VSTs directly, but Nektarine makes that process easier without dealing with remote files. And you can use the same mappings in other DDAWs as well. The trade off is that you’re using a plugin wrapper.
You said that so much better and more concisely than me!
Had a play with it recently so it’s a bit fresh in my mind. :lol:
Billy+ wrote:
17 Aug 2022
Using it will also enable you to use vst3 devices within Reason and it allows you to create racks similar to using RRP ;)
You can also load RRP with it….

Maxim

17 Aug 2022

Thanks for the fast answers! Based on this I should probably go with Nektarine as I am mostly using third-party plugins. Also I was not sure if in Nektarine was possible to make your own mappings, but this is great news that I can tweak them to my own liking. A few beginner questions:

What is RRP and RPP?

What is a plugin wrapper?

Edit. Found the answer to RRP by chance :D Been using Reason for years but for some reason my reason didn't decode that abbreviation :D

• Information