Recommendations for mixing/mastering headphones?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
dvdrtldg

10 Aug 2022

I'm about to retire my trusty old Grado SR80s and want to upgrade to something a little better. Looking to spend maybe up to $350, could go higher for a crazy bargain (e.g. can get Sennheiser HD600s at the moment for $450, which is tempting)

Open backed, flattest possible frequency response. Suggestions?

thedude

10 Aug 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Aug 2022
I'm about to retire my trusty old Grado SR80s and want to upgrade to something a little better. Looking to spend maybe up to $350, could go higher for a crazy bargain (e.g. can get Sennheiser HD600s at the moment for $450, which is tempting)

Open backed, flattest possible frequency response. Suggestions?

I got a gently used set of Sennheiser HD600 for $250 and love them. According to Sonarworks, who have done some testing, they are some of the best translating cans out there:

https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/researc ... headphones

Meaning, they deviate a bit at the extreme low and high, but are otherwise pretty flat. I have sonar works, and the DSP correction makes them AWESOME. Definitely give them a listen and see if you like them.

RobC

11 Aug 2022

Every engineer will tell you regarding frequency response: don't sweat it. When you listen to some music (start with your favorite professional songs), you adapt, thus flattening the frequency response curve. You just.. notice it, after a few minutes.

I had a huge thread on headphones, wondering which would be the perfect one.

On/over ear: each time you put it on, it will sound different, even the slightest turn changes it. The bass sucks. You have to turn it up, and press on your ears to hear it properly.

Closed vs open back: it will boom more than open back ~ and while a matter of preference, it will be more "dead" sounding, while open back might have a bit better dynamics and soundstage.

But when I wanted the best of headphones, I wanted a sound that's always in place, as wide as possible, and as detailed as possible. In this regard, professional in-ear monitors are king and are superior to headphones and speakers. It is said that dynamics and soundstage are worse, but I recently saw $ 3k in-ears, that I think are designed to be open back, and have like 18 drivers per ear. Not sure if necessary, but I'm curious about open-back designs.

I use Audio-Technica ATH-E70 in-ear monitors, as once recommended by a mastering engineer (Normen) on here. They use triple drivers for each ear respectively. They are closed back and dead silent. Initially, yes, hearing your blood flow would piss you off : ) but as soon as you start listening to just some tinkering around with a synthesizer, you notice that you no longer hear your own vein's noises, neither tinnitus. Surprisingly, the dynamics, especially drums, simply kick ass! And obviously, it's perfectly detailed, perfectly wide and always in place.

So yeah, professional in-ears are a whole different world. I will always be like: either speakers, or (for me, preferably) in-ears. Headphones - never again. At least not for professional use.

dvdrtldg

11 Aug 2022

RobC wrote:
11 Aug 2022
Every engineer will tell you regarding frequency response: don't sweat it. When you listen to some music (start with your favorite professional songs), you adapt, thus flattening the frequency response curve. You just.. notice it, after a few minutes.

I had a huge thread on headphones, wondering which would be the perfect one.

On/over ear: each time you put it on, it will sound different, even the slightest turn changes it. The bass sucks. You have to turn it up, and press on your ears to hear it properly.

Closed vs open back: it will boom more than open back ~ and while a matter of preference, it will be more "dead" sounding, while open back might have a bit better dynamics and soundstage.

But when I wanted the best of headphones, I wanted a sound that's always in place, as wide as possible, and as detailed as possible. In this regard, professional in-ear monitors are king and are superior to headphones and speakers. It is said that dynamics and soundstage are worse, but I recently saw $ 3k in-ears, that I think are designed to be open back, and have like 18 drivers per ear. Not sure if necessary, but I'm curious about open-back designs.

I use Audio-Technica ATH-E70 in-ear monitors, as once recommended by a mastering engineer (Normen) on here. They use triple drivers for each ear respectively. They are closed back and dead silent. Initially, yes, hearing your blood flow would piss you off : ) but as soon as you start listening to just some tinkering around with a synthesizer, you notice that you no longer hear your own vein's noises, neither tinnitus. Surprisingly, the dynamics, especially drums, simply kick ass! And obviously, it's perfectly detailed, perfectly wide and always in place.

So yeah, professional in-ears are a whole different world. I will always be like: either speakers, or (for me, preferably) in-ears. Headphones - never again. At least not for professional use.
Interesting... I see those ATH-E70s are more or less the same price as the headphones I'm currently considering - will check it out, thanks

DaveyG

11 Aug 2022

I'm afraid I disagree with Rob 100%. Headphones are far superior to in-ears for absolutely everything except live performance.
For your budget go for the Sennheisers.

RobC

12 Aug 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
11 Aug 2022
Interesting... I see those ATH-E70s are more or less the same price as the headphones I'm currently considering - will check it out, thanks
Definitely give them a listen if you can. I also had the E40 before for a few years, and it already was a step-up for me compared to headphones.

Check this headphone discussion:

viewtopic.php?t=7506521

I once reviewed the E40 here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7509876

And then the E70 here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7527464&hilit=E70
DaveyG wrote:
11 Aug 2022
I'm afraid I disagree with Rob 100%. Headphones are far superior to in-ears for absolutely everything except live performance.
For your budget go for the Sennheisers.
What exactly do you disagree with?

I'd rather recommend to test them all, then pick the preferred one. If getting the Sennheisers, I'd still pick up at least the E40's, too, for a different perspective, because tons of listeners use in-ears. Although yes, consumer in-ears are pretty bad. Professional in-ears are majorly different.

RobC

12 Aug 2022

Also, look around here, for more technical (or electrical engineering) testing:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/asrd ... oneallList

RobC

16 Aug 2022

Update?

What did you get?

They reviewed the headphones you looked for here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... one.23233/

But I'd also like to hear from DaveyG.

• Information