Akai MPC Key 61 - FIRST LOOK!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
avasopht

Post 18 Jul 2022

EnochLight wrote:
18 Jul 2022
Congrats! Also keep in mind that retrospective MIDI record is running at all times, even with the transport stopped. To print any noodling you’ve been doing, just hold down shift + record. You’ve got tons to keep busy, so I’d personally not buy any of the new synths that just came out until they go on sale. Fabric XL and OPx-4 are awesome, the rest are “meh”. Hype was my goto before I got Fabric XL.
What sort of discount would you expect? I'm seeing $250 atm.

And tbh, I'm not so eager to make any major purchases now because I've already splashed out on quite a lot this last year (and mostly for a NI/Maschine workflow, which I'm keeping).

At the same time, I should be able to use this as-is (especially for just knocking out ideas as they come to me). I've got a hell of a lot of sample content to throw at it as well.
---

EnochLight

Post 18 Jul 2022

avasopht wrote:
18 Jul 2022
What sort of discount would you expect? I'm seeing $250 atm.

And tbh, I'm not so eager to make any major purchases now because I've already splashed out on quite a lot this last year (and mostly for a NI/Maschine workflow, which I'm keeping).

At the same time, I should be able to use this as-is (especially for just knocking out ideas as they come to me). I've got a hell of a lot of sample content to throw at it as well.
Ahhh my bad - didn't realize the plugin bundle was 50% off right now. Honestly, for $250 that's a pretty decent deal, if anything just to get Fabric XL and OPX-4 (to clarify, OPX-4 is a pretty decent FM synth for a standalone groovebox and Fabric XL is sort of like a new and improved Hype). But if you're already getting plenty of use out of Hype and intend to use your own sample content, then I'd probably hold off. I'm sure they'll go on sale at 50% off during Black Friday or other typical sales throughout the year. The auto-sampler can make your life a lot easier on the MPC (or MPC Software) if you want to capture a bunch of plugins from your DAW or NI/Maschine, plus there are a few utility apps out there that will convert Maschine libraries to MPC Expansions. So for no cost, you can already add to your sample library stuff, and Keygroups on the MPC don't suffer from any polyphony issues. Just be sure to use a decent SD Card to store your content (and always remember to software eject it via your OS before switching from Computer Mode to standalone mode). I know that last part seems simple, but believe me - forgetting to eject is one of the biggest problems new MPC users have with their MPC (destroying your file structure and data).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

avasopht

Post 18 Jul 2022

Oh sorry my bad, I must have been looking at the Fabric collection for $250 😳
---

EnochLight

Post 18 Jul 2022

avasopht wrote:
18 Jul 2022
Oh sorry my bad, I must have been looking at the Fabric collection for $250 😳
Hahahah - yeah, that's a bit pricey. If the entire bundle was on sale for 50% off (Fabric collection PLUS the OPx-4, etc), then that might be tempting. But from the sounds of it, you already have plenty to be at your disposal, so unless you are really missing an FM synth, I'd hold off and just stick to your MPC One's built-in stuff + sample your own.

BTW, what genre of music do you usually do?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

avasopht

Post 18 Jul 2022

EnochLight wrote:
18 Jul 2022
Hahahah - yeah, that's a bit pricey. If the entire bundle was on sale for 50% off (Fabric collection PLUS the OPx-4, etc), then that might be tempting. But from the sounds of it, you already have plenty to be at your disposal, so unless you are really missing an FM synth, I'd hold off and just stick to your MPC One's built-in stuff + sample your own.

BTW, what genre of music do you usually do?
I like think of it as hip-hop & rnb adjacent 👌
---

EnochLight

Post 18 Jul 2022

avasopht wrote:
18 Jul 2022
I like think of it as hip-hop & rnb adjacent 👌
:thumbup: :D

EnochLight

Post 21 Jul 2022

On topic, here's an awesome tutorial/getting started around the new Sounds Browser in 2.11:

https://www.mpc-tutor.com/mpc-tutorial- ... owser-101/

avasopht

Post 21 Jul 2022

EnochLight wrote:
21 Jul 2022
On topic, here's an awesome tutorial/getting started around the new Sounds Browser in 2.11:

https://www.mpc-tutor.com/mpc-tutorial- ... owser-101/
The browser has been useful, though it's unfortunate that it lacks a preview.

Btw I was trying out the Fabric demo last night, and it's exactly what I wanted!

It's the right timbre, it has the right sound when I make my usual tweaks, and covers the range of sounds I like to work with.

I could live without an FM synth or the string library. I can do that with Komplete if I must.

If anything I'm debating returning the MPC One to get a Live for faster file loading/saving and easier loading of Splice content (but it doesn't seem worth it just yet).

I'm surprised with Fabric. The lack of demos gave me the impression it had a severely limited sound set.

Instead what I found was a device that competes with workstations. I was not expecting that.
---

EnochLight

Post 21 Jul 2022

avasopht wrote:
21 Jul 2022
The browser has been useful, though it's unfortunate that it lacks a preview.
Yeah, the audio previews only work in the older file browser. Wish the new Sounds Browser layer had them as well.
avasopht wrote:
21 Jul 2022
Btw I was trying out the Fabric demo last night, and it's exactly what I wanted!

It's the right timbre, it has the right sound when I make my usual tweaks, and covers the range of sounds I like to work with.

I could live without an FM synth or the string library. I can do that with Komplete if I must.

If anything I'm debating returning the MPC One to get a Live for faster file loading/saving and easier loading of Splice content (but it doesn't seem worth it just yet).

I'm surprised with Fabric. The lack of demos gave me the impression it had a severely limited sound set.

Instead what I found was a device that competes with workstations. I was not expecting that.
Yeah, Fabric XL is pretty damn sweet. Like I said, I feel it's like a new and improved Hype Synth - it has so much content it's almost overwhelming. Easily a workstation-class plugin. The Live II would be a bit faster assuming you installed an SSD into it and loaded all of your content onto there, but it won't be that noticeable IMHO. RAM still remains the largest bottleneck (especially with the larger sample-based plugins like Fabric XL, and even on some of the lighter Fabric presets), and that's where the MPC Key 61's 4 GB of RAM helps out a lot.

Also, there's a critical bug with the MPC and Splice right now, and if you move your Splice library onto an SSD (or any removable storage), many of your Splice files may not load and the sub-categories file structures get screwed up. Akai are aware but there is no fix in sight as of right now. For the time being, it only works flawless if you keep your Splice folder location in the stock Factory Storage, which isn't possible with me since my Splice library is like 50-60 GB and growing. :puf_unhappy:

• Information