Nobody talks about studio monitors here. What are you guys listening on?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
MuttReason

Post 11 Jul 2022

Yamaha MSP3 monitors and a Yamaha HS10W subwoofer. Never really liked them TBH as the subwoofer isn’t a great pairing with the monitor speakers. The sub dominates at anything above about 5% of the full gain range as the MSP3s are pretty underpowered next to the sub. It’s really hard to get mains and sub to ‘glue’ together as a single sound source. Upside is the MSP3s are pretty neutral. However, I’ve stuck with them because the biggest problem I have is my main studio area is an acoustic mess… a long thin room with floor to ceiling windows on one side and poor isolation (stud partition walls) on three sides. Limited options for acoustic treatment, plus the rest of the family don’t appreciate the whole house rattling.

Net outcome is I write and arrange at low volume using the Yamaha monitor set up then do most of my mixing with headphones. I started using the Waves NX and Ocean Way plugins that adjust EQ curves for different headphones and simulate mixing in a high-end control room but I found they had such a dramatic effect on the overall sound that I didn’t believe what I was hearing back (if that makes sense). It was easy to get something that sounded great using the Waves plugins but sounded terrible when I played a track back anywhere else.

tomusurp

Post 18 Jul 2022

Ottostrom wrote:
30 Jun 2022
Tomeo55 wrote:
29 Jun 2022
I have them on speaker stands behind desk on each side. Have u ever heard them in action? They’re one if a kind IMO because the response is flat for the most part but the sound is very detailed and rich. They’re also amazing for playback , not just mixing and mastering. FYI my studio is not even acoustically treated, but there’s workarounds for that ( thanks to gear ,software and production techniques)
Everybody seems to really like how detailed the sound is.
One small issue I've seen people bring up is their internal sound, which seems to stay the same no matter what volume you have them on.
Is this something you've noticed?
I don't understand, what do you mean by internal sound?
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/c/Tomeo55
https://www.tomeo55.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

Ottostrom

Post 19 Jul 2022

Tomeo55 wrote:
18 Jul 2022
Ottostrom wrote:
30 Jun 2022

Everybody seems to really like how detailed the sound is.
One small issue I've seen people bring up is their internal sound, which seems to stay the same no matter what volume you have them on.
Is this something you've noticed?
A constant hissing that is audible from the speakers (not like from internal electronics but like a noise floor).

tomusurp

Post 02 Aug 2022

Honestly I only hear some tiny hissing if I put my ear very close to the speaker. I think that's normal. Otherwise I sit about 3-4 feet away from the speakers and don't hear it at all, even when I'm blasting it loud
Ottostrom wrote:
19 Jul 2022
Tomeo55 wrote:
18 Jul 2022

A constant hissing that is audible from the speakers (not like from internal electronics but like a noise floor).
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/c/Tomeo55
https://www.tomeo55.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

carvingcode

Post 07 Aug 2022

Focal Alpha 50. Perfect for my 8’10’ studio.

avasopht

Post 07 Aug 2022

I'm on a tiny pair of Mackie CR4's at home, but spend at least a few hours each week at Pirate Studios where they have the Yamaha HS8's.

I've also got a pair of AKG-240 Studio's, but rarely use them as I'm always worried about my ears (which contradicts the point of getting them).
---

demt

Post 10 Aug 2022

Thanks to boogie-woogie on the experiential piano RE, an eternal succession of easily bust speakers currently a guitar amp possibly a synth combo later
Reason 12,modular rack nektar gxp 88 keyboard,squarp hermon ,nektar aura ,editerkeys reason keyboard
hear scince reason 2.5

• Information