How to safely transport a Micro Desktop PC? (mostly about shock ... I guess)

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
avasopht
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2022

I've got a Dell Micro for use in the studio rather than a laptop (since I'll be using they keyboard/mouse/screen anyway).

Are there and safe travel tips/guidelines?

I can't imagine it being any different to a laptop. But laptops are built with the expectation of being carried around so might factor in shock.

The default is just to bring it in the same laptop friendly rucksack but I'm wondering whether that's something else to consider like a shock absorbing case.

I've carried these in my rucksack before, but never on a regular basis.

Propellerhands

08 Jun 2022

As long as you do not put in checked baggage in a plane (aka cargo place) you'll be fine. Just put it in a case/bag, add some cushion, like spare clothes etc. At least that's what I would do. I have traveled with 10 year old laptop few times, it still works.

P.S. gently shake your computer to make sure there are no lose parts in it.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
08 Jun 2022
As long as you do not put in checked baggage in a plane (aka cargo place) you'll be fine. Just put it in a case/bag, add some cushion, like spare clothes etc. At least that's what I would do. I have traveled with 10 year old laptop few times, it still works.

P.S. gently shake your computer to make sure there are no lose parts in it.
Cool ... and that made me think about the sorts of dust and debris you might have in your bag as well.

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2022

A little 6-month update.

It's been a roaring success.

The first time I took part in a recording session I forgot to pack my display port adapter so I had to log into Windows completely blind. Luckily I'd set Maschine to run at launch.

Everyone thought I was running on a Maschine+. It was seamless (apart from saving, which ... well, let's just say there are lots of "New Document 6"'s. This is a massive shortcoming of Maschine. You should be able to run it like it's standalone.

I've since bought myself some little screens. I've got a 7" 480p capacitive touchscreen with a leather case that acts as a stand ... 10" 480p resistive touch screen but has a bulky (and sturdy) stand and a 14" 1080p capacitive touchscreen with no stand (or case).

If you do try this, get yourself a 1080p capacitive screen as I've found some UIs choke with low resolutions. A resistive touch screen sucks (but we already knew that). 14" is a bit too large (especially without a case, as I've had to make an ad-hoc case out of a clipboard😬), but at the time it was the cheapest 1080p option.

• Information