Europa as hardware would be fun

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
mimidancer

31 May 2022

IF Reason ever did a hardware version of Europa I would totally buy it. That synth is so much fun. I could imagine it as a desktop synth with a freaking awesome patchbay to send that juicy modulation all over the rest of my Eurorack. I know they are not a hardware company but they could do it with a company that does hardware. Sorry for the random.

selig
RE Developer

31 May 2022

mimidancer wrote:
31 May 2022
IF Reason ever did a hardware version of Europa I would totally buy it. That synth is so much fun. I could imagine it as a desktop synth with a freaking awesome patchbay to send that juicy modulation all over the rest of my Eurorack. I know they are not a hardware company but they could do it with a company that does hardware. Sorry for the random.
I feel like the HydraSynth comes close to that feeling for me, with things like a similar modulation matrix (but with even MORE slots), three oscillators, two filters, envelope curves, and even 8 "Combinator style" knobs (Macros). :)
Selig Audio, LLC

DaveyG

31 May 2022

mimidancer wrote:
31 May 2022
You need to tell them how much you would pay for it and then get several thousand other people to agree.
It will never happen but you could try telling them how much you would pay for it and then get several thousand other people to agree.

freshkidblaze

31 May 2022

I second the hydrasynth

mimidancer

31 May 2022

selig wrote:
31 May 2022
mimidancer wrote:
31 May 2022
I feel like the HydraSynth comes close to that feeling for me, with things like a similar modulation matrix (but with even MORE slots), three oscillators, two filters, envelope curves, and even 8 "Combinator style" knobs (Macros). :)
I can see that. Back to my thought. Do you think they named it Europa because it is so eurorack-like? I do.

mimidancer

31 May 2022

DaveyG wrote:
31 May 2022
mimidancer wrote:
31 May 2022
You need to tell them how much you would pay for it and then get several thousand other people to agree.
It will never happen but you could try telling them how much you would pay for it and then get several thousand other people to agree.
I know. I think 800-1000 for the Europa hardware would be fair. but it has to have all the patch points. i'd probably pay up to 1300. But I love europa.

selig
RE Developer

01 Jun 2022

mimidancer wrote:
31 May 2022
selig wrote:
31 May 2022

I can see that. Back to my thought. Do you think they named it Europa because it is so eurorack-like? I do.
I’ve not thought of Europa like EuroRack. For one thing Europa is a poly synth. Plus, all the built in FX represent a different approach than the modular approach. If anything I’d have to say Thor is more “EuroRack-like” than Europa because you can swap out the “modules”. OR I’d say REASON is more Eurorack than any of the individual instruments… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

mimidancer

01 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
01 Jun 2022
mimidancer wrote:
31 May 2022

I’ve not thought of Europa like EuroRack. For one thing Europa is a poly synth. Plus, all the built in FX represent a different approach than the modular approach. If anything I’d have to say Thor is more “EuroRack-like” than Europa because you can swap out the “modules”. OR I’d say REASON is more Eurorack than any of the individual instruments… ;)
I use Europa the same way I use my eurorack stuff. Also, it would hurt my OCD to swap out modules in my rack everything has a place. Yes, thor has a great mod matrix too. Grain is also really nice. DO you ever modulate your modulations? I like to take a ramp and modulate it with a slow random lfo. it is like spinning a wheel every so often. The Modular aspects of reason are what make it awesome for me. My defaults are to init patches. So I can be tempted to make what I want instead of just scrolling patches. that being said i love to dig onto patches to see how they work. No matter how much one knows there is more to know. Back to why I think it is like eurorack is the hard modulation points. That it where the cable would go and the drop-down is the source modules I can choose from. But we don't have to agree on this as long as we both know Europa is one of the best synths ever designed. Be well.

selig
RE Developer

01 Jun 2022

mimidancer wrote:
01 Jun 2022
selig wrote:
01 Jun 2022

I use Europa the same way I use my eurorack stuff. Also, it would hurt my OCD to swap out modules in my rack everything has a place. Yes, thor has a great mod matrix too. Grain is also really nice. DO you ever modulate your modulations? I like to take a ramp and modulate it with a slow random lfo. it is like spinning a wheel every so often. The Modular aspects of reason are what make it awesome for me. My defaults are to init patches. So I can be tempted to make what I want instead of just scrolling patches. that being said i love to dig onto patches to see how they work. No matter how much one knows there is more to know. Back to why I think it is like eurorack is the hard modulation points. That it where the cable would go and the drop-down is the source modules I can choose from. But we don't have to agree on this as long as we both know Europa is one of the best synths ever designed. Be well.
Of course I modulate my modulations, in as many ways as possible (doesn't everybody?!?). My current favorite modulator is currently in EuroRack format, the LFV (Low Frequency Vacillator) mode on Quadrax, an exceptional modulator for modulating other modulators. The LFV is the best slow random I've found to date, though Thors is pretty sweet too just with no control other than rate.
In fact, I've got a modulator to the power of modulation sketched out at present, a swarm of LFOs code named Queen Bee (you control the queen and the swarm follows).

But I digress, IMO Thor is still the king of modular in Reason due to how many different ways it can be used compared to Europa which is still my favorite poly synth in Reason. I've found Thor great for many non-synth (#say it out loud!) things, just today I posted a use of Thor to generate an "always on" CV/Gate whenever the transport is running:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7528198
Selig Audio, LLC

moofi

02 Jun 2022

Europa got the Verbos module design and a similar timbre, while introducing modular typical stuff like wavefolding through the modifiers, saying there is at least some hint at Eurorack already.
selig wrote:
01 Jun 2022
mimidancer wrote:
31 May 2022

moofi

02 Jun 2022

Speaking of modulation in Europa, is it me or doesn´t the modulation of the delay time parameter via the matrix work? I connected an envelope an afterwards and LFO both with no effect at all.

DJMaytag

05 Jun 2022

Europa hardware would be cool, but I’d pay $500 for a hardware version of Malström.

moofi

08 Jun 2022

Just deliviring some visuals regarding the Verbos design.

moofi wrote:
02 Jun 2022
Speaking of modulation in Europa, is it me or doesn´t the modulation of the delay time parameter via the matrix work? I connected an envelope an afterwards and LFO both with no effect at all.

• Information