The 3rd Wave

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
mimidancer

29 May 2022

I know I can do all of this in reason, but it is so blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ-s9YW7JgA

bxbrkrz

29 May 2022

PPG Wave 2.3 blue :puf_smile: :thumbs_up:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Jac459

29 May 2022

mimidancer wrote:
29 May 2022

Remind me of my yamaha CS1X...

I was jealous of the red... NordLead
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

mimidancer

29 May 2022

Jac459 wrote:
29 May 2022
mimidancer wrote:
29 May 2022

Remind me of my yamaha CS1X...

I was jealous of the red... NordLead
Red is difficult to resist. But with Blue one may skidoo, you can too. At age 6, I was quite the skidooer.

Micha1973

31 May 2022

If i have some bucks - it´s my synth
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

mimidancer

31 May 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoRmV_uKDjg

Micha1973 wrote:
31 May 2022
If i have some bucks - it´s my synth

that is how I feel too. I hope someone gives a good once over at NAMM.

moofi

02 Jun 2022

And I at least guess it sounds like hardware.
mimidancer wrote:
29 May 2022

mimidancer

02 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
02 Jun 2022
mimidancer wrote:
29 May 2022

I do not subscribe to the hardware vs Software stuff. Different instruments/UIs inspire divergence in my approach to writing. I know I can already do what it does in reason. Also, it is blue.

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2022

mimidancer wrote:
02 Jun 2022
I do not subscribe to the hardware vs Software stuff. Different instruments/UIs inspire divergence in my approach to writing. I know I can already do what it does in reason. Also, it is blue.
100%.

I notice this all the time with Roland Cloud / Korg Collection.

As a VST it just does not feel the same as using the hardware. You get tactile feedback when you click buttons. You feel the grooves of the aluminium casing.

It sounds expensive.

I find that even with cheap (or ancient) hardware I'm able to express myself just as well.

Screens can greatly impact your music-making process by the way. First by creating a stimulus for your brain to filter. Second by taking attention, focus, and the responsibility of maintaining the form of your track. So you negotiate your arrangement with a screen.

That's why I do a lot of composition with hardware controllers now (like Maschine).

crimsonwarlock

03 Jun 2022

mimidancer wrote:
02 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
02 Jun 2022
I do not subscribe to the hardware vs Software stuff.
Agreed. Some people don't accept that software has sounded as good as analog for a long time now, although with its own character. Some of the most liked hardware synths of the last few decades, like an Access Virus and a Nord Lead, are in fact software synths.

Of course, you need some justification for the fact that you plunked down a serious amount of cash on an analog monster from the eighties, while an emulation is available for a few tenners. So, the hardware must sound 'better', obviously :lol:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

03 Jun 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
03 Jun 2022
mimidancer wrote:
02 Jun 2022

Agreed. Some people don't accept that software has sounded as good as analog for a long time now, although with its own character. Some of the most liked hardware synths of the last few decades, like an Access Virus and a Nord Lead, are in fact software synths.

Of course, you need some justification for the fact that you plunked down a serious amount of cash on an analog monster from the eighties, while an emulation is available for a few tenners. So, the hardware must sound 'better', obviously :lol:
Some people DO accept that software sounds as good as hardware (my first exposure to software synthesis was a computer music class in 1979). Or to put it another way, many folks find BOTH approaches useful in music production.
And not every hardware lover is claiming they sound better. I get a very different feeling working with hardware than software, I love both, both can sound good or bad depending on the design and personal preferences.
Long live both! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

DaveyG

03 Jun 2022

Yeah, there is a world of difference between a soft synth connected to a midi control surface and a hardware synth with dedicated knobs. I'm not talking about the sound. I'm talking about the way a hardware synth just tempts you to fiddle with the controls more.

crimsonwarlock

03 Jun 2022

selig wrote:
03 Jun 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
03 Jun 2022

Some people DO accept that software sounds as good as hardware (my first exposure to software synthesis was a computer music class in 1979). Or to put it another way, many folks find BOTH approaches useful in music production.
And not every hardware lover is claiming they sound better. I get a very different feeling working with hardware than software, I love both, both can sound good or bad depending on the design and personal preferences.
Long live both! ;)
That's why I said "Some people don't...". It seems obvious from my statement that I'm not one of them either :puf_bigsmile:

I also do like the tactile feel of hardware, reason why my studio is littered with hardware MIDI controllers :thumbup:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

mimidancer

03 Jun 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
03 Jun 2022
selig wrote:
03 Jun 2022

Long live both! ;)
That's why I said "Some people don't...". It seems obvious from my statement that I'm not one of them either :puf_bigsmile:

I also do like the tactile feel of hardware, reason why my studio is littered with hardware MIDI controllers :thumbup:

I agree I do not think hardware is better. I think both are awesome. I enjoy my diverse hybrid workflow not out of a place of presumed superiority, but because each instrument and interface bring out new ideas in me. One can make music exclusively on hardware or software and get great results. BUT we need to focus here. This thread is about just how blue the 3rd wave is... Sofa king blue.

crimsonwarlock

03 Jun 2022

DaveyG wrote:
03 Jun 2022
Yeah, there is a world of difference between a soft synth connected to a midi control surface and a hardware synth with dedicated knobs. I'm not talking about the sound. I'm talking about the way a hardware synth just tempts you to fiddle with the controls more.
I do agree to some extent. However, MIDI controllers have a lot of tactile options these days. It takes a bit (sometimes a lot) of work to set up, but you can have close to similar tactile control with software.

I come from hardware synths, so I do have the experience you point at. Because of that, I've spend a lot of time (and money) to find a MIDI controller setup that would give me an approximation of that. I can say for myself that I am pretty close to that.
-------

moofi

03 Jun 2022

No it doesn´t, the current state like I can observe it playing with a hardware modular compared to software is software has improved over the years, yet doesn´t deliver the impact hardware has (yet?). Besides I feel like Selig mentioned, software sound evolves along an individual path, saying they will most likely vary even after further development, similar to analog and digital photography. I know I sound like a loop in that regard and I was actually surprised how well software became over the years, after not having listend much to VA during quite a long time, then there´s still is a difference. You can feel the pushing energy in hardware. An additional area where software is yet lacking is distortion. Compare this filter screeching to bascially any software (though you can already hear the difference in the basic VCO sequence):

crimsonwarlock wrote:
03 Jun 2022
mimidancer wrote:
02 Jun 2022

crimsonwarlock

03 Jun 2022

mimidancer wrote:
03 Jun 2022
This thread is about just how blue the 3rd wave is... Sofa king blue.
Instant PPG-wave vibes for me, even before listening to the video :puf_bigsmile:

I had the privilege to see Wolfgang Duren live in the eighties. He was associated with PPG, and me and my friends were pretty jealous seeing him with not one but two PPG Waves on stage :clap:
-------

crimsonwarlock

03 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
03 Jun 2022
No it doesn´t, the current state like I can observe it playing with a hardware modular compared to software is software has improved over the years, yet doesn´t deliver the impact hardware has (yet?).
I wouldn't compare a modular rig to the experience of playing, let's say, a Juno 6. The software-based hardware synths I pointed to are also not modular rigs. Apples and Oranges. Of course, there is (still) a lot of hardware that is hard or even impossible to emulate in software, but tmo that was not what is discussed here.
-------

moofi

03 Jun 2022

Not referring to a modular in specific, it´s simply the hardware I got most hand on experience with. And e.g. the example in the video is simply a basic sequence through a filter, nothing special in terms of what is being done. Even if it was, functionality-wise you can basically recreate anything in software. The sound is the holy grail in that sense here and while hardware also varies in it´s field, the sounds from hardware devices I heard share a common characteristic. From briefly having checked on a 3rd Wave demo on youtube, it´s got that typical basic character aswell, even though it´s a polysynth compared to the monophonic sequence from the filter video. Listen to the attack and the low end for example:

Yet enough from here in that regard for now. :-)

crimsonwarlock wrote:
03 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
03 Jun 2022
No it doesn´t, the current state like I can observe it playing with a hardware modular compared to software is software has improved over the years, yet doesn´t deliver the impact hardware has (yet?).
I wouldn't compare a modular rig to the experience of playing, let's say, a Juno 6. The software-based hardware synths I pointed to are also not modular rigs. Apples and Oranges. Of course, there is (still) a lot of hardware that is hard or even impossible to emulate in software, but tmo that was not what is discussed here.

• Information