Is there such a thing as an EM shield/screen?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
chimp_spanner

28 May 2022

Hey all! I'm searching (to no avail) for some kind of EM shielding/blocking screen I can put next to my PC tower to minimise some of the noise coming through into my guitar signal. Is this even a thing? Or would it just be able to sneak out the sides or whatever? I've tried repositioning the tower but it's just very noisy (in all senses!) and the only way to record guitar is to sit 90 degrees away from my desk, which is no good for streaming!

PhillipOrdonez

28 May 2022

EM? Electromagnetic? 🤔

Have you tried very long cables and having the tower in another room? I have a similar issue in working on fixing, but mine is the loud computer fans.

chimp_spanner

28 May 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
28 May 2022
EM? Electromagnetic? 🤔

Have you tried very long cables and having the tower in another room? I have a similar issue in working on fixing, but mine is the loud computer fans.
Nah unfortunately it's just not possible. I have so many peripherals connected and not all are able to be extended that far. I'll just keep messing around with angles and moving the tower around haha.

Billy+

28 May 2022

Have you tried using more expensive cables as well as the em blocks plus the figure of 8 trick?

DaveyG

28 May 2022

It's almost certainly the guitar pickups that are harvesting the noise rather than the cabling. Distance is your only real solution.

wendylou

29 May 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
28 May 2022
Hey all! I'm searching (to no avail) for some kind of EM shielding/blocking screen I can put next to my PC tower to minimise some of the noise coming through into my guitar signal. Is this even a thing? Or would it just be able to sneak out the sides or whatever? I've tried repositioning the tower but it's just very noisy (in all senses!) and the only way to record guitar is to sit 90 degrees away from my desk, which is no good for streaming!
I use Ilitch Electronics Noise Canceling System which employs a passive low impedance loop aerial coil built into a backplate or pickguard that senses the hum/noise and cancels it. They make them for Strat, Tele, Les Paul and others. Works like a charm!

In the early '80s, I briefly works at a place that made EM shielding enclosures for PCs that included a cooper screen for the CRT, mostly for the government. Give https://www.ilitchelectronics.com a try if they make one for your guitar.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

mimidancer

29 May 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
28 May 2022
that hum is lofi gold. Right now someone is cranking up the hum and hiss on their UMPF.

• Information