Looking for mechanical spring reverb

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Paralytik

15 May 2022

I've been thinking of investing in a hardware spring verb for a long time, but it's only recently that I've started to actually check the market for options.

I've found this Vermona one which does not seem too shabby, even though it's only mono and all ins/outs are unbalanced. Gear4Music shows the prices with tax/import costs included, which is nice.
There are a bunch of these Surfybear pedals available on Thomann, but since I live in Norway, the prices shown are not representative of the actual cost to import. Can't find these on Gear4Music.
The Knas Ekdahl Moisturizer of course came to mind, but I'm not sure it's a viable option considering budget (import costs play a big role here too). I dropped Karl an email asking about details on the price and costs anyways.

On another board, someone brought up some DIY options, but since I have zero experience with soldering and electronics, I'd rather not venture into that stuff.

My main use for this effect would be to complement other types of dub/reggae effects I already own. That's the style I'm going for in my own productions.

So, does anyone have any input on this? Any tips or experiences you want to share?

MarkTarlton

15 May 2022

There are a few options, but the one I still go to and love is the Furman RV-1 if you are looking for a rack unit. It's not made anymore so you would have to find a used one.

Some of the old school dub guys used a fisher space expander spring reverb, but those things are really noisy and pricey for what you get, but if you want that authentic sound you might look at those. There is an RE that models this, it's good, it is lacking some of the analog flavor, but still a very fun RE and worth trying.

The Hammond tube reverb from the organs are another fun one to play with, they come up from time to time on the used market already to go.

As far as guitar pedal there are a lot to choose from, but the one I would definitely check out is this one!
https://anasounds.com/produit/la-brute-bundle/

joeyluck

15 May 2022

I was going to mention the Knas Ekdahl Moisturizer because that thing looks fun and you get a filter, LFO, CV, etc. That's been on my list. Hopefully import and shipping costs aren't too much.

Other than that, I think I would lean towards getting a reverb tank because I'd still want to play with the spring :)

Paralytik

15 May 2022

Thanks for the tips folks. Gonna check out some physical stores this coming week and ask around too. Since Norway is not part of the EU, I'm always skeptical about importing stuff. It can easily get super expensive, even for relatively cheap things.

DJMaytag

05 Jun 2022

I have a Orban dual spring reverb here in my shop that I’ve not fired up yet to see if it works. These seem to go for around $600-800 in working order, so I’m hoping it’s largely fine so I can list it for sale.

• Information