Roland GAIA SH-01 Remote Map

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
HeavyViper

30 Apr 2022

Hi all!

I recently invested in a Roland GAIA as my first hardware synth, and was chuffed to find it can also act as a MIDI controller when hooked up to my PC via USB. Out of interest, I decided to look into making a Remote mapping for it. It's based off of the mapping for the Cakewalk (Roland) A-PRO series of controllers since it was already in the list. I figured out which controls on the GAIA actually send CC signals, what they were, and the rest was just busywork. Fun project, but not something I'd be in a rush to do again. Word to the wise - don't screw around with the formatting in '.remotemap' files. :V

The GAIA seems pretty popular, so I thought I'd share the map here for any Reasoners who might have one too.
Roland GAIA Remote Map.zip
Remote map for Roland GAIA SH-01 by HeavyViper.
(17.58 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Just drop the "Remote" folder from the zip into Reason's working directory (...\Program Files\Propellerhead\Reason 12). In Reason's MIDI config, it should show up in the Add Manually list under 'Roland'. The default mappings aren't great, I might fix them up to reflect what's on the GAIA depending on how much I end up using this.

Some notes:
  • Usable knobs: LFO RATE, OSC PITCH/DETUNE, FILTER CUTOFF/RESONANCE/KEY FOLLOW, AMP LEVEL, EFFECTS CONTROL 1/LEVEL
  • Usable sliders: LFO FADE TIME/PITCH DEPTH/FILTER DEPTH/AMP DEPTH, OSC PWM/PW/ENV DEPTH, FILTER ENV DEPTH
  • Pedal input (HOLD, EXPRESSION, configurable on GAIA) works OK.
  • some of the above controls might not work depending on patch settings, try initializing patch (CANCEL+WRITE) to fix
  • hold CANCEL and turn off KEY HOLD light to enable velocity, turn back on for constant max velocity
  • hold CANCEL and turn off EXT IN CENTER CANCEL ON light to stop GAIA OSC from receiving MIDI data (handy to use it just as a controller!)
  • KEY HOLD, OCTAVE, TRANSPOSE functions all work! ARPEGGIO function outputs data correctly, but relies on GAIA TAP TEMPO.
  • D-BEAM control can be mapped to Pitch Bend or Expression. Can also be mapped on GAIA to control any combination of the above controls and it should transmit correctly over MIDI.
Enjoy (or not)!
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

• Information