Pro Tools is now only available as a subscription service

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
avasopht
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2022

https://www.engadget.com/pro-tools-subs ... 10247.html
Avid is taking a page out of the Adobe playbook by shifting Pro Tools entirely to a subscription model. There's no longer an option to buy a perpetual license, which granted customers lifetime access to a certain version of Pro Tools

QVprod

28 Apr 2022

Before anyone parallels to RS doing the same… Avid has been screwing their customers for a very long time down to the very nature of self imposed limitations. Outside of the realm of certain post production workflows I’d say stay away… but looks like they made that decision for us :lol:

That said, they’ve technically already been subscription only for some time. Just now making it official for anyone who doesn’t already own a license.

Silver lining is if I ever need to open a PT session again it’s only $10 for the 1 month.

RobBarnett

30 Apr 2022

avasopht
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2022

RobBarnett wrote:
30 Apr 2022
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2022/0 ... on-prices/

Will Reason Studios follow?
I don't know how well that would go down.

And RS will only do it if it would actually work based on having conducted enough market research to know whether it's a good or bad idea.

I'm not in a position to really know how users would respond.

I don't expect it to go down very well. So on that basis, I doubt Reason Studios would do it.

But I could be wrong. Maybe it would bring in much more users, in which case, Reason Studios would follow (because their market research would have picked up on our receptiveness to it) ;)

Billy+

30 Apr 2022

RobBarnett wrote:
30 Apr 2022
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2022/0 ... on-prices/

Will Reason Studios follow?
Probably at some point in the future unfortunately, unless it's purchased by an investment company that sees the value in the alternative that's why it's worth spending money elsewhere and supporting companies and developers who offer licensing and free lifetime upgrades ;)

avasopht
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2022

Billy+ wrote:
30 Apr 2022
Probably at some point in the future unfortunately, unless it's purchased by an investment company that sees the value in the alternative that's why it's worth spending money elsewhere and supporting companies and developers who offer licensing and free lifetime upgrades ;)
Sounds like a non-sequitur.

If we must assume Reason Studios will force subscription only, we must also assume everyone else will as there's no more evidence RS will do it than anyone else.

Studio One has a subscription service. As do JetBrains' development tools.

Trying to make out that RS are the only ones is being very biased given Studio One also has a subscription service.

Of course, if subscription services are what most users will want, then that would be a good thing, right? But if it's not, then they will know that through market research. Ergo, if it's not a good thing, then they won't do it.

So, if we are to presume they will go subscription only, that's also a prediction that users will spend more money subscribing than paying for a permanent license.

• Information