Presons Studio One 5 Prime - how to remove noise from recorded vocals?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Rising Night Wave

23 Apr 2022

hi.

i would need some help with Presonus' Studio One v5 Prime and that is:

- how to remove noise from recorded vocals via PSO5P?

is this peace of software capable of this afterall?
everything was simple and fun till after i recorded my self.
now what? i can not find the way to remove nosie.

can any one help?
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Rising Night Wave

23 Apr 2022

ok, no problem. i just bought magix's sound forge audio studio 365 for 2,99€ per month for period of one year.
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400

gullum

23 Apr 2022

you should really try to find a way to eliminate the noise before you even record.

Rising Night Wave

23 Apr 2022

ok. now this is enough. :oops:

you will probably laugh at me... but okey. nevermind.

i found that magix's sound forge audio studio 365 is a total shitty kakka application for windows.
i felt on their nice words on their official web page. i do not want to make counter-advertising but this application is nothing special. really.

i really need an peace of software for recording my self - my vocals for my music production in Reason+ v12 DAW. and i also need that this application has a decent noise removal feature. which this one does not have. it has some basic pimitive feature.

now... here is the thing why you will laugh at me:

after that i went to internet and browsed to an other peace of software which i know from the past.
it is an NCH Software's WaveLab application. i downloaded it and installed it as trial.
then i found that magical part: i has an option to capture a part of WAV file and you define that part as noise. as an unwanted sound in that WAV file.
then you just use the magic - an AI it has: "Spectral Substraction based on Noise Sample".

this is exactly what Adobe's Audition has. but Adobe's Audition has an unreasonable price: cca. 24€ / month! why is it unreasonable? - because you get exactly that one app meanwhle the whole Photography Plan is cca. 12€ / month (arround 8 apps). And on the other side if you choose WHOLE packace you get around 22 apps (a lot of them are industry standard) for cca 60€ / month. ... now 60€ / month is too much for my monthly income and budget. 24€ / month is also too much and unreasonable. so... i just can not afford Audition. ... but i do own a photography plan becaue i need phtoshop for doing my cover images for my music.

so i decided to buy that NCH Software's waveLab for around 13€ / quarter of year.

a yay yay. stooopid me. ... but okey. i will not worry myself for those 2.99€ / month for 12 months. it is not a lot.

any way: now i am more than satisfied. when i have this WavePad Masters Edition. i have all benefits.

problem is that man is learning on his mistakes. so did i. so now i am in a mixed mood. happy and angry. hehe.

okey. enough with all this writing and yadayadaing. i am happy now! :D :clap: :thumbup:

here is the link for NCH Software's WaveLab application if anyone of you will be interested.
but if i am not wrong Adobe's audition has more powerfull this noise removal AI thing. but any way... i am more than satisfied with WaveLab since i did some test recodings via my M-Audio Uber Mic and WaveLab does this job very good.

crimsonwarlock

24 Apr 2022

You could do it for free with the free VST bundle for Reaper. It includes ReaFir which can do the exact same thing.

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Rising Night Wave

24 Apr 2022

eh. never mind it now. but thank you for extra info.
sorry for a bit extended text.

jam-s

24 Apr 2022

Audacity can also do recordings and noise removal. It is not the prettiest egg in the basket, but totally free and quite powerful (esp. for batch processing material).

Rising Night Wave

24 Apr 2022

i have installed audacity but was not satisfied with the look of it. sorry, i somehow do not feel comfortable if apps i am using are not by my taste according to gui.
yes. i know: you would ask: are you using apps for doing something or to looking them. well, i do both.

as i said. if i would have money i would without question subscribe to adobe's audition app but... atm i can not afford it.

but i do not doubt in audacitys capabilities. sorry i do not like it's gui.

gullum

24 Apr 2022

Instead of trying to find a software to remove noise, why do you not try to find out why you are getting noice and spend your money on some sound card or better mic. Because a software that removes noise will also remove frequencies from your recording that you might want to keep. Fix the problem before recording.

Rising Night Wave

24 Apr 2022

well i do understand you. but my circumstances are such that i can not affect on them.
simple: my laptop is doing noise. vents. it does not produce a lot of noise but it does some. even if i clean with compressor my laptop.
and my m-audio uber mic captures that noise well. so i need some decent app. which i found. that wavelab.

problem is i can not record myself anywhere else. only if i would have a really long usb cable (since m-audio's uber mic is an usb mic) and record myself in adjacent room. but again if i would do so... then i would have no affect or control over computer. i do not know. that solution is somehow not interesting to me.

again. as said. the only source for noise is my laptop. if i record myself i do it at night. when there is a complte silence. and i have my windows closed in my room. my door is also closed. and that is it. and before i go to record my self i do a cleaning of internals of my laptop with a compressor.

--- --- --- --- --- ---

edit/ps: aha, i forgot to write. i also close all apps so laptop's cpu is used as little as possible. so that vents produce noise as little as possible. computer is relatively new - one year old. and when i do a cleaning with compressor i hold vents so vents not go nuts, hehe. i would damage them and then they would really produce a lot of noise.

QVprod

24 Apr 2022

Noise removal is not a standard feature. It’s a very specialized one. That’s why you couldn’t find it Studio One. Agreed with gullum that the best case is to not have noise in your recordings at all.

The benefit of not using a USB mic is that you’re not right next to your computer. Even a few feet away makes a difference. You don’t need to be right at your computer to record vocals by yourself. When you can, I’d recommend going the audio interface + mic connected via xlr cable route. You’ll get more quality and less noise that way. Good that found something for the time being though.

Rising Night Wave

24 Apr 2022

well yes. i do put my laptop near the wall/tv and distance my mic as far as possible.
you must know there is not really that much of noise when i am recording myself.
but there is a little presence of it. just the right amount that can be noticed.
well, i tried that wavelab's noise removal tool and for my taste it does the job well.

atm i am thinking of longer cable and some stand for my mic. this uber mic is freestanding mic. to put it even longer from my laptop.

question: would some obsticle between my laptop and my mic do any trick? i do not kow. let's say some cardboard plate/board.

QVprod

24 Apr 2022

Rising Night Wave wrote:
24 Apr 2022
question: would some obsticle between my laptop and my mic do any trick? i do not kow. let's say some cardboard plate/board.
No. At best it might muffle the sound of the noise a little, but you only really eliminate it by distance from the noise source.

Rising Night Wave

24 Apr 2022

okey then.

• Information