Is akai mpk249 in black worth it? Or any other suggestions

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Propellerhands

21 Apr 2022

My budget unlimited but aiming for a keyboard up to 400 usd/eur. There's a bargain on Thomann website with all black akai mpk249 but still unsure.

Specifically looking at 49 semi-weighted keys. Used to have akai mpk49 but sold it 10 years ago because it was just too big for my baby self.

Any suggestions or advice? Would black keyboard be hard to play?
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

EnochLight

21 Apr 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
21 Apr 2022
My budget unlimited but aiming for a keyboard up to 400 usd/eur. There's a bargain on Thomann website with all black akai mpk249 but still unsure.

Specifically looking at 49 semi-weighted keys. Used to have akai mpk49 but sold it 10 years ago because it was just too big for my baby self.

Any suggestions or advice? Would black keyboard be hard to play?
I had the MPK3 Mini in all black. I sold it, because having all black keys irritated the hell out of my OCD - it picked up every greasy finger print even though my hands were washed and clean before touching it. Also shows dust like a mofo. So, if you're OK with a nasty ass looking keybed after every play, then go for it - the MPK249 is a decent series. Me, I'm looking at the Native Instruments KOMPLETE KONTROL S49, but that's because I feel the display is awesome and the blinky lights mesmerize my cat. :lol: No, actually the Fatar keybed seems awesome, along with NKS. But the MPK249 is a close runner up.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Propellerhands

21 Apr 2022

Thank you, but in terms of playability with all black keys, is it worth choosing it over traditional keyboard? I just need it to compose simple melodies, chords. There ain't any shops in my town to try all black keyboards unfortunately.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

• Information