Thinking to use logic pro

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

21 Aug 2022

If you haven't trialed Logic yet, they now offer a 90-day trial!
https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/trial/
And I think they reset it sometimes with updates.

I agree about the standards because for the most part I see Pro Tools and Logic in studios. I view DAWs like Live, Bitwig, FL Studio, etc. as being more of a lateral move from Reason—a focus on music making.

I don't agree with Logic not being for mixing/mastering. People are not only finishing albums in Logic, but also scoring and doing sound design for film in Logic. And the same for film, I see people using Logic and Pro Tools. I see Adobe and DaVinci Resolve here and there, but that seems to mostly be when film editors are also doubling as the sound editors/designers.

So for me when looking at other DAWs, I think it comes down to DAWs that achieve the same things in different ways and other DAWs that have additional focuses.

I wish Reason Studios would focus on video. This idea of scoring for media being outside the realm of what Reason is made for is doing itself a disservice. So much music today is written for media. Not all music is written to create singles/albums. And the video solutions inside Reason are clunky. For instance, VidPlayVST inside Reason isn't fully supported to scrub the video in realtime. So when moving the playhead in Reason's sequencer, the video only updates when you release the playhead, which makes it very difficult trying to locate and sync key moments. And that said, the syncing can be buggy.

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 Aug 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
21 Aug 2022
selig wrote:
21 Aug 2022
I need an audio editing/mixing system!
Audacity :shock:
There's also Ardour.

Maybe Audition or Roland's R-Mix might do the trick.

DaveyG

21 Aug 2022

selig wrote:
21 Aug 2022
Jac459 wrote:
20 Aug 2022
Hey Selig, give a go to bitwig, it has a continuity of logic with reason and its awesome.
Thing is I don’t need a replacement for Reason, I need a better audio editing/mixing environment than Reason is able to provide. Which is why Logic doesn’t work for me either. Bottom line: I don’t need another “music creation” system (Reason is doing just fine there), I need an audio editing/mixing system!
That's ProTools bro, with all its idiosyncrasies.

Jac459

21 Aug 2022

selig wrote:
21 Aug 2022
Jac459 wrote:
20 Aug 2022
Hey Selig, give a go to bitwig, it has a continuity of logic with reason and its awesome.
Thing is I don’t need a replacement for Reason, I need a better audio editing/mixing environment than Reason is able to provide. Which is why Logic doesn’t work for me either. Bottom line: I don’t need another “music creation” system (Reason is doing just fine there), I need an audio editing/mixing system!
Gotcha...

Then your free option is definitely not protocols hehe.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

cymek74

22 Aug 2022

gritz wrote:
17 Apr 2022
Hi all have used reason since reason 4 and never used another daw apart from sonar back in the day - thinking of moving over to Logic Pro as more people I speak with use it and swear by it , so curious how u found the transition to a different daw - is it better - I was told it’s industry standard other than pro tools and more geared to non electronic dance music - also do you use both reason and logic together.

Is logic better for mixing remixing mastering ?
Studio One?
Reason 12, Bitwig 4, Win 10 :recycle: :reason: :re:

selig
RE Developer

22 Aug 2022

joeyluck wrote:
21 Aug 2022
I don't agree with Logic not being for mixing/mastering. People are not only finishing albums in Logic, but also scoring and doing sound design for film in Logic. And the same for film, I see people using Logic and Pro Tools. I see Adobe and DaVinci Resolve here and there, but that seems to mostly be when film editors are also doubling as the sound editors/designers.
Logic not being great at mixing/mastering vs people are finishing albums are two separate things. Reason is not geared towards mixing/mastering, but I’ve been exclusively using it for just that for many years now. Still, I clearly see the places where it falls far short in sometimes basic things (not being able to automate fader values in decibels, no auto punch, etc). Meaning, both things are possible, it’s not necessarily an either/or situation!

But I totally realize I’m coming from a engineer/musician angle and not many folks here have followed the same path (transitioned from 2” analog to digital/SSL to ProTools and finally ending up using Reason). I freely admit I come carrying baggage and expectations, and a specific skill set honed over the years. Part of that was working in pro studios, BUT I’ve also had a “on the cheap” home studio for longer than I worked in studios, further making me an outlier/hybrid/freak! ;)
Still, despite many workarounds mixing in Reason is less than ideal for me and I can see the writing on the wall that Reason isn’t ever going to be the killer mix software I’d love to use.
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

22 Aug 2022

gritz wrote:
17 Apr 2022
Hi all have used reason since reason 4 and never used another daw apart from sonar back in the day - thinking of moving over to Logic Pro as more people I speak with use it and swear by it , so curious how u found the transition to a different daw - is it better - I was told it’s industry standard other than pro tools and more geared to non electronic dance music - also do you use both reason and logic together.

Is logic better for mixing remixing mastering ?
My personal journey is, i started with Cubase/Cubasis in the late nineties, and in the initial 2000's, started using reason (2.5 i think) with cubase. I also have some experience in bigger studios, but more as a Musician, but we recorded with ADAT recorders which came along in the 90's and then got replaced by full daws. These were usually connected to a nice big desk, one of the studios where we recorded had a Neve and the other had a SSL. I was just a musician, but i really liked these stuff a lot and started to tag along a friend that was the audio engineering at one of this studios and did our live sound! So i would be around him seeing him doing his stuff, until he sent me o my place to do my sound. ;)

Anyway, in the 2000s I bought Reason 4, upgraded to 5 with Record and completely ditched Cubase because 99% of the midi i recorded was in Reason.
As Selig, i still have a lot of nit picks with reason as a full daw, both at the sequencer and mixer level. Last year i was a little disappointed these were not getting into Reason, and I made use of the competitive crossgrade from steinberg so got Cubase 11 pro, thinking i would transition to it gradually, using reason rack plug and other vst's for base sounds, record and mix.... only to find you need to put on a good amount of hours to re-learn that thing that evolved a lot since the last version i used it (cubase 4)... And i just don't have the patience for that anymore.

Result, i have Cubase sitting in my pc, and i don't have a single finished project with it, and all the stuff i did the last year was reason based.

I've been trying to understand the reasons why i didn't finish the transition. I think the main one is that reason's workflow is very direct, and second nature to me. Other reason is that, I invested a lot to have my controllers working with reason, from tweaking remotes, to set them up nicely to tweak reason's files, even created a huge autohotkey program to help me manage automation to make the whole thing work more seamlessly (witch by the way is broken now due to Reason 12 and the way it renders graphics - not a big deal, i just have to create new images).

Also most of the sounds i use are reason based. I'm aware they are available in Reason RRP (for the most part, as i have some combi's that have VST's and reason devices), but the workflow has some differences and is a bit less inspiring comparing Cubase to Reason. So if most of the sounds you use to make your core project's sound are from reason (the pianos, strings, basses, drums i use, are all from reason refills and reason devices) there is a great difference between loading reason and making stuff with the rack well integrated with the sequencer against loading Cubase, with the RRP. Stuff just doesn't gel the same way. If you want stuff to be more organic and pull cables from here to there, and make stuff respond to other stuff... It isn't the same. Stuff like having 2 devices actuated by different midi information, but having them modulating the other device through cv, or even audio, it just isn't the same interoperability between multiple stuff in the rack and the Sequencer and the mixer. And here's the thing, reason's "new" browser got really good (it was already despite what people say) as it can search for stuff in refills and all your pc, and snifs your vst's folders so if you rely on patches and browse a lot on your sounds, you have your searching process consolidated on one single browser. For that to happen in Cubase, its browser would have to read refills, or you'd have to create external patches for reason's stuff. I know you can minimize this with patches, favourites, proto/template tracks and so on, but man... it's just not the same.

Just isn't.

So for the time being, I'm still mostly reason exclusive despite from time to time, i use cubase to retry this change, or reaper for the odd location recording. It proves that despite it's lacks and flaws, we do can make a full production with reason. The stuff i complain does not inhibit me from making music, in any of the different production stages.

• Information