A DIY Eurorack power question...

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Re8et
Competition Winner

12 Apr 2022

Hi. :puf_wink:
I t's a bit uncommon question to make in Reasontalk forum, but I'm trying nonetheless...

Ok... let's go...
I have a DIY power brick that has +12.02 Volts and -12.05 Volts.
A tiny 0.03 Volts mismatch that would cause virtual ground in all IC's, OpAmps, etc,
to drift 0.015 Volts towards negative...
Should I try to correct it???
I had some ground noise floor problems in my modules before.
Thats' why I'm spring time debugging everything to evict the root cause for the terrible noise floor...
The +12 / -12 comes from two linear 7812 . 7912 converter. I thought
to change one of the two to find two perfect matches, but I have not any spare one...
thoughts???

jam-s

12 Apr 2022

Compensating for such a small difference is hardly worth it imho. Even if you can get it compensated thermal variances in other components of the circuit will most likely lead to it drifting away sooner or later anyhow.

If you've got pretty bad noise in your circuit, instead make sure the power supply is properly de-coupled using large capacitors after a ferrite bead. If you've got an oscilloscope you can try to find the noise and then trace it back to its origin. Switching power supplies (DC/DC converters) are a pretty common cause for audible noise if they run at their limits (too low or too high load). Also you might have created a tanking circuit unintentionally. So finding the source of the noise would be the best way to debug it imho.

Catblack

13 Apr 2022

I had an old trogotronic dual power brick setup that was pumping out like 12.5 and 13v. It made me hate that sort of setup. Worse was the email I got back from the trogo guy which I won't go into. But I am more a fan of using meanwell ps, the rt65b for r a small case, or the dedicated 12 & - 12 ps for larger cases.

I don't think you'll run into problems with a small voltage difference like that though.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

• Information