I got the Audio-Technica ATH-E70 meanwhile!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
RobC

27 Mar 2022

Holy shit, is it a step-up from the ATH-E40!

When I first plugged it in (that's sounds creepy : P), the first thing I noticed was that with the ATH-E70 the highs aren't as exaggerated as with the E40. Dare I say it almost sounded a bit... flat - but that's how it's supposed to be. Not that a frequency response matters that much, since we adapt to it pretty fast. The bass and mid range was in place, the wideness unsurprisingly was about the same, and at first it seemed like they couldn't make a more detailed sound.

Yeah, that was the case at first, but I'll get back to that in a bit. The drums. The dynamics. Okay, that kicks ass. I've never heard a speaker-like sound from in-ears until this experience. Like, wow, it sounded so real, heck, I would go as far as saying, not even speakers can reproduce sound this well EVEN IF we don't "feel it". That's where speakers and in-ears really differ you feel the former, and you hear (better) the latter. All in all, it hits really hard ~ it's wonderful!

I can agree with other reviewers that for balanced armature, which should have an " almost weak flat sound", this is rather well balanced. When I listened to music through the ATH-E70 without any comparison, it no longer seemed weak in the high region. Hell, I once wrongly said that "Thriller" would have too sharp sounds in it, which I obviously take back now that I had a professional sound-reproduction for once.

Back to the details - when it comes to hearing important frequencies, now then there's quite a difference! You simply hear more. You hear things you've never heard before. For example, when I set up a linear phase crossover frequency band in the sub bass region, I could finally "clearly" hear what changes are happening, even with small changes (and I'm not talking about changing frequency ranges and whatnot, but changing settings that affect how the filtering is calculated).
Another example is equalization, or mixing when it comes to bass frequencies. I could easily judge when something needed a cut or a boost. I was able to properly level a kick in a mix. I did multiple retries, and I always got 100% to the same value from zero. In every case, there was a HUGE difference. They were moments where I said "So that's why the bass was so boomy in my music!"

I don't know if you would agree or not, but risking rotten tomatoes thrown at me, I would dare to say, that it would be possible to mix and master professionally on these.
What's 100% is, that these definitely can't be beaten for editing and designing sounds, compared to speakers.

Before I forget! Live vocal monitoring. That's simply awesome! You can "set it up" so precisely how close you should be to the microphone for the best sound, it's unbelievable. It's kind of "real sounding", simply delicious. Very enjoyable to work with.

I'll continue this a bit later.

If there are any questions about the Audio-Technica ATH-E70, feel free to ask! Comparison-related questions with the E40 is welcome, too!

EDIT

Not so tiny details coming!

When it comes to dynamic range, frequency range, distortion - dude, in the in-ear category, these are top-end-level category - and dare I say, compared to others, they really are a bang for the buck.

Sound isolation? I feel like I'm near deaf with these. ; )

Comfort? Excellent for me, absolutely no pain. They stay in place. Only the cable is perhaps a bit short for my liking, but that can be extended. It fits in my ear perfectly, and it's so well in there, it guaranteed won't fall out. Hell, I still have to learn how to take them out. : )

Durability? I take care of them, like it was a baby. : ) An expensive baby! x D But it seems pretty strong, quality build. The cable won't crack in a hurry, especially since they go around the ears. If it should get damaged after all? It's replaceable.

I should write some negative stuff, too.
Yeah, I'm just sitting here trying to think of something. x D I'm sold I guess. - Well, I did get one, after all! : P

• Information