New Laptop: Wait until Windows 11 comes stock?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
skie

30 Jan 2022

I'm looking at the Razer Stealth 13" with the i7 1165G7 11th-Gen intel processor (the latest model) but it comes with Windows 10 and a free upgrade to 11 "when available". In my experience, every computer I've ever owned that I upgraded Windows on acted erratic and unstable at the end of it's life. The three where I never upgraded the OS (bought them in the beginning of the version's life cycle) have never had issues.

Does anybody else find that upgrading their Windows version possibly impacted the longevity of their laptop? I want to hold out until the laptop ships with Windows 11 but I really need one soon. Thank you!

pushedbutton

30 Jan 2022

There's never a good time to buy a laptop, there's always something better around the corner.
Last time I had that dilemma was when i could upgrade from 7 to 8 on a dell xps, it was dire, then the bloody thing didn't play too well with windows 10.
Not getting dragged in to the windows 11 hype, my current machine is fine on 10.
With that said I would look at the hardware and worry about what you're running on it way down the line.
Some but not all models of that machine are shipping with windows 11.
Depends what you want it for but I'd suggest that Razor brand is great for looking pretty. If you're just looking for something to handle Reason, which you haven't really indicated, I would probably consider another brand but I'm not your dad, it's your money.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

skie

31 Jan 2022

Thank you for the input. What laptop brand would you recommend? Looking for something with equivalent or better power than the 11th gen i7 1165g7 chip, 13" screen, Reason would be the most intensive task it needs to perform (no gaming or the like). Thank you

pushedbutton

31 Jan 2022

I would at least consider an MSI Creator 15, a little bigger screen wise but also potentially a bit more powerful where it matters, also still cheaper than the Razor you're looking at.
The Dell XPS 13 has also become a popular choice for portable music production, not the one I got, that was ages ago when they were crap, but they've got a lot better.
is a 13" screen a deal breaker?
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

skie

31 Jan 2022

pushedbutton wrote:
31 Jan 2022
I would at least consider an MSI Creator 15, a little bigger screen wise but also potentially a bit more powerful where it matters, also still cheaper than the Razor you're looking at.
The Dell XPS 13 has also become a popular choice for portable music production, not the one I got, that was ages ago when they were crap, but they've got a lot better.
is a 13" screen a deal breaker?
That's what I ended up going with! https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-la ... 305-laptop .

• Information