Alternative DAWs?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
BumCuddle

Post 22 Nov 2021

I don't know, recently..well since the release of R12+ or whatever it is called I've been having ponderings of possibly checking out other DAWs. I've always been a reason user and never really needed to 'play away'. I still love Reason to bits and will always use it but I just want to explore other creative avenues.

I've been watching some Ableton tutorials and though the aesthetics of the software is a bit of a turn off it can do some really interesting stuff. Bitwig looks pretty similar, FL Studio doesn't appeal to me, Cubase looks like a chore as does Pro Tools (which seems subscription only) and Reaper just seems meh.

Anyone have a recommendation for one that compliments Reason with possibly using the rack as a plugin?

avasopht

Post 22 Nov 2021

It's best to just try them out and see what you gel with.
---

guitfnky

Post 22 Nov 2021

Ableton’s UI was a turnoff for me too, for a long time. I didn’t realize until I bought it that there are alternative color schemes you can download which help a lot. after using it a while, I kinda love it now. coming to really enjoy the DAW definitely didn’t hurt.
I write bad music for good people

latest release—The Lake Door:
bit.ly/TheLakeDoor-Soundcloud
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/track/the-lake-door

BumCuddle

Post 22 Nov 2021

guitfnky wrote:
22 Nov 2021
Ableton’s UI was a turnoff for me too, for a long time. I didn’t realize until I bought it that there are alternative color schemes you can download which help a lot. after using it a while, I kinda love it now. coming to really enjoy the DAW definitely didn’t hurt.
I think the biggest draw for me is the session view, I love that you can jam on the fly to get ideas out while it is all being recorded in the arrangement view. It looks real easy to go in and chop and edit a track together rather than slowly building it all up from scratch.
I really don't know why reason hasn't pursued something along those lines, I know there are blocks but that still doesn't really compare.

Billy+

Post 22 Nov 2021

BumCuddle wrote:
22 Nov 2021
I don't know, recently..well since the release of R12+ or whatever it is called I've been having ponderings of possibly checking out other DAWs. I've always been a reason user and never really needed to 'play away'. I still love Reason to bits and will always use it but I just want to explore other creative avenues.

I've been watching some Ableton tutorials and though the aesthetics of the software is a bit of a turn off it can do some really interesting stuff. Bitwig looks pretty similar, FL Studio doesn't appeal to me, Cubase looks like a chore as does Pro Tools (which seems subscription only) and Reaper just seems meh.

Anyone have a recommendation for one that compliments Reason with possibly using the rack as a plugin?
Well with RRP it should be a lot easier to use the rack extensions you have with just about every single DAW available, live would probably be the first to try as it works on windows and Mac, if you're on Mac I think that even logic now has a demo so I would suggest starting with those before trying anything else.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
Using Reason since version 1 is R11 going to be my final version :shock:

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

StephenHutchinson

Post 22 Nov 2021

I've tried, bought full licenses, and still have FL Studio 20, Ableton Live Suite 11, and Bitwig 4, and I've come to use Bitwig more than the rest. Having said that though, the other DAWs do have their various amazing features for sound design, but my home DAW is Bitwig. I love the GRID in Bitwig, as well as being able to use Reason 11/12 RRP with no problems at all. It's just so much easier to deal with than Ableton in many respects (where plugins seem to crash the DAW a lot of the time). For more information about Bitwig, and examples of how it works, I highly suggest one of Venus Theory's videos to get an idea of what Bitwig is like here:

Bitwig Studio | 15 SWEET Tips Beginners Should Know
:reason: Reason+ - (Reason user since v.1.0)
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

miyaru

Post 22 Nov 2021

I had Ableton Live a few years before I bought Reason 11 Suite. Before that I used Cubase for a long time.

I love the session view, but linear recording goes better in Reason for me.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason Suite 11, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

EnochLight

Post 26 Nov 2021

BumCuddle wrote:
22 Nov 2021

I took the plunge and just picked up Ableton Live 11 Suite on a Black Friday sale. It works for me as my primary method of (pre)production is my Akai MPC Live II and Akai Force, both of which support Ableton Live project export, as well as limited import. And working on my Akai Force already got me used to Abelton Live's workflow, so it just made sense.

I have to admit, it took me a while to warm up to Ableton Live's GUI/UX, but it's grown on me. It's refreshing to be able to step away from the confines of skeuomorphism. And it runs so much smoother than Reason 12 (on my machine).
Win 10 | Abelton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Sumsung 870 QVO 2 TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

Post 26 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
26 Nov 2021
BumCuddle wrote:
22 Nov 2021

I took the plunge and just picked up Ableton Live 11 Suite on a Black Friday sale. It works for me as my primary method of (pre)production is my Akai MPC Live II and Akai Force, both of which support Ableton Live project export, as well as limited import. And working on my Akai Force already got me used to Abelton Live's workflow, so it just made sense.

I have to admit, it took me a while to warm up to Ableton Live's GUI/UX, but it's grown on me. It's refreshing to be able to step away from the confines of skeuomorphism. And it runs so much smoother than Reason 12 (on my machine).
I wish everyone would stop talking about akai force every time I hear it mentioned I want to buy one......

DaveyG

Post 26 Nov 2021

Cubase and Studio One both have quite generous BF sales at present. Be sure to look at the Crossgrade options from Reason before you click!.

Billy+

Post 26 Nov 2021

DaveyG wrote:
26 Nov 2021
Cubase and Studio One both have quite generous BF sales at present. Be sure to look at the Crossgrade options from Reason before you click!.
The only thing I don't like about some of these crossgrade deals are that they want your registration code, it puts me off...

EnochLight

Post 26 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Nov 2021
EnochLight wrote:
26 Nov 2021
And working on my Akai Force already got me used to Abelton Live's workflow, so it just made sense.
I wish everyone would stop talking about akai force every time I hear it mentioned I want to buy one......
Hahaah yeah well, it's simply the best standalone machine on the market right now, so it's hard not to! :clap: :lol:
Win 10 | Abelton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Sumsung 870 QVO 2 TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

DaveyG

Post 26 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Nov 2021
DaveyG wrote:
26 Nov 2021
The only thing I don't like about some of these crossgrade deals are that they want your registration code, it puts me off...
I used Reason to crossgrade to Studio One a couple of years ago. They just needed a screenshot of the email that confirmed the purchase - no account numbers or reg codes involved. Tbh I could easily have mocked that screenshot up and, here's the rub, they wouldn't care if I had because their motivation is to move me into their ecosystem with a view to making more money off me on future upgrades and extra content. In the past I've bought crossgrades from third party companies like JRR shop and they haven't even bothered to check my credentials.

Billy+

Post 26 Nov 2021

DaveyG wrote:
26 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
26 Nov 2021

I used Reason to crossgrade to Studio One a couple of years ago. They just needed a screenshot of the email that confirmed the purchase - no account numbers or reg codes involved. Tbh I could easily have mocked that screenshot up and, here's the rub, they wouldn't care if I had because their motivation is to move me into their ecosystem with a view to making more money off me on future upgrades and extra content. In the past I've bought crossgrades from third party companies like JRR shop and they haven't even bothered to check my credentials.
That would be very difficult for me as I delete every email and empty the trash.

DaveyG

Post 26 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Nov 2021
DaveyG wrote:
26 Nov 2021

That would be very difficult for me as I delete every email and empty the trash.
Mate, if you wanted to crossgrade they would let you crossgrade. Why would they not?

Billy+

Post 26 Nov 2021

DaveyG wrote:
26 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
26 Nov 2021

Mate, if you wanted to crossgrade they would let you crossgrade. Why would they not?
I'm sure that they would and I've been close many times over the last year but I keep holding out hope that Reason will sort things, besides I'm more interested in the new apple silicon hardware and would probably get Logic however I just don't seem able to bite the bit for the moment that's why I ended up looking at a Force just to make things even more difficult :lol:

EnochLight

Post 26 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Nov 2021
that's why I ended up looking at a Force just to make things even more difficult :lol:
Do it! ;)

It's basically a standalone DAW. Working away from a computer is so refreshing - zero distractions!

Billy+

Post 26 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
26 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
26 Nov 2021
that's why I ended up looking at a Force just to make things even more difficult :lol:
Do it! ;)

It's basically a standalone DAW. Working away from a computer is so refreshing - zero distractions!
You know the only thing holding me back is where I might end up and every time I've tried it I just couldn't get on with it - Live

I just know that the cut version isn't going to be enough and I really don't want to buy the standard version for £400 after the thousands I've already spent on Reason especially given the state of RRP and the fact that eventually I would need to spend at least another £200 for an upgrade R12/R13 whatever version finally fixes all the problems.

I guess indecision is better than jumping into buying stuff that causes disappointment but this year really has made me reevaluate the value of a lot of these products and the claims made about them, this is literally the only year that I haven't purchased a single product.

kitekrazy

Post 27 Nov 2021

Bandlab is free. The only thing your a giving up is little disk space. They update it quite a bit. Download it and try it for a while.

• Information