Help Me record my edrums

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
visheshl

21 Oct 2021

Nasty nasht ho jaaye
So I just got an electronic drumkit and now I want to post drum cover youtube videos of me playing the drums on top of songs.
My kit has an aux in, so I can play music on my phone and plug it into the aux input. So that's ok.
But I tried recording a video with another phone, but the sound quality is really bad as it records sound from the inbuilt microphone of the mobile phone.
Any ideas how I could record the video in the phone camera and at the same time take the audio out from the drum module and record it in the video instead of the built in mic ?
I have a computer etc, but I want to keep it simple and not go the route of recording audio into the computer and the video in the phone and then editing it etc.
I would like to simply record signal from the drumkit along with the video in my phone.
Any ideas how I could achieve this ?

Nasty nasht ho jaaye
Last edited by visheshl on 27 Oct 2021, edited 1 time in total.

jam-s

21 Oct 2021

Depending on your Phone getting one of those here might be a good idea to record the audio coming out of the drumkit: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/i ... pro-duo-io as a added bonus you'd also enter the 25 for one group buy at the 200€tier and get a ton of great free software: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/25gb/

Benedict
Competition Winner

22 Oct 2021

Honestly, while you can mess about with toy tools, it will always be better if you get it right first time.

Yes, I expect drums in a room with an iPhone will be a recipe for nasty. If you use something like DroidCam and OBS, you can sync screen and therefore audio to one recording. That video you can extract audio from with something like Ocen Audio (Audacity if you like being spied on - maybe) and bring that back into Reason where you tart it up, export with exact timing, and merge it back together using anything from the tools in YouTube to HitFilm Express (which is free and powerful).

If you go this path you need to set Reason to the main system Audio Out which will be DX and latent. Either learn to adjust or only listen to the drum brain. If there is a noticeable (to normal people) lag in the audio/video, when you bring it up into HitFilm (or wherever) you can zoom in and move the audio frame by frame until it feels good.

This will deliver things that people are happy to watch.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

visheshl

22 Oct 2021

jam-s wrote:
21 Oct 2021
Depending on your Phone getting one of those here might be a good idea to record the audio coming out of the drumkit: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/i ... pro-duo-io as a added bonus you'd also enter the 25 for one group buy at the 200€tier and get a ton of great free software: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/25gb/
Thanks buddy 👍

visheshl

22 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Honestly, while you can mess about with toy tools, it will always be better if you get it right first time.

Yes, I expect drums in a room with an iPhone will be a recipe for nasty. If you use something like DroidCam and OBS, you can sync screen and therefore audio to one recording. That video you can extract audio from with something like Ocen Audio (Audacity if you like being spied on - maybe) and bring that back into Reason where you tart it up, export with exact timing, and merge it back together using anything from the tools in YouTube to HitFilm Express (which is free and powerful).

If you go this path you need to set Reason to the main system Audio Out which will be DX and latent. Either learn to adjust or only listen to the drum brain. If there is a noticeable (to normal people) lag in the audio/video, when you bring it up into HitFilm (or wherever) you can zoom in and move the audio frame by frame until it feels good.

This will deliver things that people are happy to watch.

:-)
Thank you

visheshl

27 Oct 2021

Nasty nasht ho jaaye.
visheshl wrote:
21 Oct 2021
So I just got an electronic drumkit and now I want to post drum cover youtube videos of me playing the drums on top of songs.
My kit has an aux in, so I can play music on my phone and plug it into the aux input. So that's ok.
But I tried recording a video with another phone, but the sound quality is really bad as it records sound from the inbuilt microphone of the mobile phone.
Any ideas how I could record the video in the phone camera and at the same time take the audio out from the drum module and record it in the video instead of the built in mic ?
I have a computer etc, but I want to keep it simple and not go the route of recording audio into the computer and the video in the phone and then editing it etc.
I would like to simply record signal from the drumkit along with the video in my phone.
Any ideas how I could achieve this ?
Nasty nasht ho jaaye

• Information