Reason 12 vs Ableton Live 11.1 update...Wow

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
guitfnky

03 Oct 2021

mimidancer wrote:
03 Oct 2021
I am so sorry. I feel like I have angered you. That was not my intention. I truly don't understand the whole workflow thing. I find live clunky. It is utterly boring visually. The one thing it is good at is stringing together clips live, like a DJ. Reason's workflow is like going into the studio it is emulating. I guess I don't see the value in folding my tracks together. and using an arrow key to change lanes modulation lanes. As I just turn the knobs on my controller when I press record. Nothing difficult about that. I obviously love reason. And I am just okay with Live. It is good at that one thing. But I am not considering people that can't actually play. Not a knock. Many great producers are terrible musicians. Just saying that if I flub a key I don't press quantize or look in the piano roll. I just play it again. Again not a knock. Many great producers cannot play. But this may be my disconnect. Again I am not trying to anger you. I like the reason sequencer as is. I don't want the clunk I find in live. When I do want live I load it.
ha, not at all. 😅 I’m not always great at conveying the tone I feel correctly, in posts—definitely not angered.

Reason has a great workflow in a very shallow sense (I don’t mean that as a dig). I can do the basic stuff I need to quickly, and many of the things I don’t do often are intuitive enough to figure out when I need them.

Live seems a little clunkier on the surface, but I quickly learned I could just ignore most of the quirkier features/settings I won’t use often (though I like knowing they’re there if I need them). things like auto punch, markers, linked track editing and track notes make my workflow in Live so much nicer. putting even just those features into Reason would make it a much more pleasurable experience. I can’t imagine how awesome Reason would be just with a few fairly minor improvements. it’s really just about getting the software out of the way of the user so it’s easy to get stuff done quickly.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

craven

03 Oct 2021

STIM wrote:
29 Sep 2021
Ableton Live still looks like an uninspiring spreadsheet though.
That's exactly why I couldn't stand it so far, even when changing the grey bg to something else.
:ugeek:

DaveyG

03 Oct 2021

Live is ugly, but delivers where it counts.

Oquasec

03 Oct 2021

Daws that are built with thirdparty in mind usually have way more time to focus on workflow than daws that don't.
Cubase is an example of a daw that's almost exactly like reason but with the custom stuff missing in exchange for tons of features.
FL Studio is in the same category as live when it comes to workflow as well, since these two are pattern focused and rely on thirdparty formats.
----
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

guitfnky

03 Oct 2021

I didn’t like the look of Live either, but after using it a while, I started to realize I was able to focus more on the music. not that I sit there and admire the look of devices when I have Reason open, but it’s like a small piece of attention can no longer be spent thinking about what you’re looking at, and can return that small piece to the task at hand.

also, you can re-theme pretty easily, and some of the darker ones look pretty nice.

Greg Savage

04 Oct 2021

Yea, that is quite a list there in comparison. For those asking my people are commenting about point updates, well let's be honest. A lot of software companies don't pack much into them. An update like this for some might be spread across 3 or 4 points or worse, charged in an upgrade.
Music Composer/Sound Designer
Music Licensing - Credits

Chi-Individual

05 Oct 2021

For $750USD for the Suite version I would expect their updates to be this detailed. Anything less would be criminal at that price. I've only been impressed with the updates FL pushes out considering I bought it back 2003-04ish and I've received updates since that purchase for free. I don't know of any paid DAWs that do that besides them.

guitfnky

05 Oct 2021

Chi-Individual wrote:
05 Oct 2021
For $750USD for the Suite version I would expect their updates to be this detailed. Anything less would be criminal at that price. I've only been impressed with the updates FL pushes out considering I bought it back 2003-04ish and I've received updates since that purchase for free. I don't know of any paid DAWs that do that besides them.
most of these updates are for the core version, not Suite only.

Chi-Individual

05 Oct 2021

guitfnky wrote:
05 Oct 2021
Chi-Individual wrote:
05 Oct 2021
I get that. It was the same for R11 and R11 Suite. My point is, with the barrier of entry being that high for their top tier I expect more as far as updates and add-ons than I would from a DAW that cost less. That's why I said FL impresses me the most. I'm still gaining improvements from the same $99USD from 2003.

Re8et
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2022

Anyone using Reason as a plugin within Ableton M1 native???

Re8et
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2022

Chi-Individual wrote:
05 Oct 2021
guitfnky wrote:
05 Oct 2021

I get that. It was the same for R11 and R11 Suite. My point is, with the barrier of entry being that high for their top tier I expect more as far as updates and add-ons than I would from a DAW that cost less. That's why I said FL impresses me the most. I'm still gaining improvements from the same $99USD from 2003.
FL M1 native also...

EdGrip

04 Aug 2022

I'm in a period of not playing with music and sound very much, but when I do Ableton is my DAW these days. Reason sometimes gets used as a plug-in.

I'm pretty sure both Ableton and Reason have to work around a lot of legacy code. I think Bitwig was the result of some frustrated ex-Ableton engineers who had ideas for what it could be if they were to start again from scratch.

As for the look of Live's spreadsheet: I don't even see the code any more. All I see is, blonde, brunette, redhead...

• Information