Controller Options for Reason

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
karajabola

13 Aug 2021

Hey Folks,

After many years, I’m getting back into music production (hobby, not a pro). The only difference now is I’m a grownup and actually have some cash to spend :-). I’m looking at a controller to use with reason and reaper, likely more of the former. I have a older synth, so I have keys, just no aftertouch…so it does the job), and I’m covered for audio interface as well. I’m looking for knobs/faders/pads basically, not sure about transport yet.

Back then, the popular options were Behringer’s BCF and BCR 2000 (see how dated I am?). Now the market is flooded with options, Behringer has the x-touch now, and I learned about Nektar’s products here on this forum.

So I’m here to ask, what do you use, and why? Thanks.

thefixr

13 Aug 2021

If you like knobs, faders and pads the Akai MPD232 is a great device.

I’ve used the MPD232 for years for live finger drumming.

You can use it for Reason’s transport controls and it also has a built in step sequencer which integrates with sequencing the pads which makes it a cool live step sequencer for use with Kong.

The MPD 232 is endlessly configurable and has some of the best pads I’ve ever used.

The units are built well, but contains a lot less metal (almost none) than previous generations.The only other slight drawback to the 232 as compared previous generations is that it’s a real b i t c h to take apart. I poured coffee all over mine and it messed up a bunch of the pad sensors. I had to spend like 2 hours taking it apart, ever-so-carefully, to clean it and then put it back together. It’s possible, but not as easy as older generations.

To see me use it: https://YouTube.com/iamthefixr
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

demt

13 Aug 2021

Nektar aura sure does drums with its pads and sequencer ,seamless integration 2
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

karajabola

14 Aug 2021

Thanks for your suggestions, and the video. I'm looking into them.

There's got to be more than 2 people here :-), anyone else have some suggestions?

Thanks!

deeplink
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2021

I've just got the Novation Launchcontrol XL.

You can download a codec for Reason of the net.

I've changed the Remote file to suit my way of working.

So far I'm loving it.

I don't enjoy having to flip through "pages" of control layouts. So it's nice to have enough knobs, sliders and buttons in one place.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Billy+

14 Aug 2021

IMG_2373.JPG
IMG_2373.JPG (182.9 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
As always P6
https://nektartech.com/reason/
https://nektartech.com/panorama-p4-p6/

Bes
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2021

for a few years now i have used the AKAI midimix for knobs and faders and the Arturia Beatpad (not pro) and they've both been fine but now looking at thefixr's video i'm thinking about getting that MDP232.
- Certified Reason expert

thefixr

14 Aug 2021

Bes wrote:
14 Aug 2021
for a few years now i have used the AKAI midimix for knobs and faders and the Arturia Beatpad (not pro) and they've both been fine but now looking at thefixr's video i'm thinking about getting that MDP232.
I had a video on using the MPD 232’s step sequencer with Reason that was conceptually pretty awesome but the quality of the video was terrible. One day I will do another on when my setup for video recording is better.

The sum of it is that you can open Kong and pick a drum kit hit Record/Play (on the MPD) and just start programming the step sequencer real-time while Reason records everything. If you set the faders and buttons to stuff you’d like to tweak in Kong while recording you can get maximum real-time fun out of the setup.
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

gullum

14 Aug 2021

if you are going to go for fader and knobs get endless encoders and motorised faders if not the controller will be collecting dust before a year has passed because a mouse is always going to be faster then knobs and faders that first need to moved into right place before they even do anything in the software

thefixr

14 Aug 2021

thefixr wrote:
14 Aug 2021
Bes wrote:
14 Aug 2021
I had a video on using the MPD 232’s step sequencer with Reason that was conceptually pretty awesome but the quality of the video was terrible. One day I will do another on when my setup for video recording is better.

The sum of it is that you can open Kong and pick a drum kit hit Record/Play (on the MPD) and just start programming the step sequencer real-time while Reason records everything. If you set the faders and buttons to stuff you’d like to tweak in Kong while recording you can get maximum real-time fun out of the setup.
Here is the raw video of me demoing the MPD 232's step sequencer with Reason. Unfortunately I don't have the screen recording. The setup was Kong in a Combinator with the first 4 buttons on the MPD set to the buttons on the Combi and the first 4 faders set to the knobs on the Combi. The mappings for the buttons and knobs will be obvious when you watch the video. I didn't record the demo into Reason, but obviously I could have and it would have captured everything I did.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t16vmkc3ztfui ... n.mov?dl=0
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

• Information