Say Hello To Windows 11

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 2433
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 02 Jul 2021

MrFigg wrote:
01 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
01 Jul 2021


how is this different than any other computer purchase? also, do people actually buy pre-built desktop PCs? 🤔
It’s a problem becasue I personally don’t want Windows 11.
And yea, people do. After years of building my own desktops I’ve moved over to prebuilt office models. Usually Lenovo. Trying to find motherboards without flashing coloured lights was just getting too hard. All I want in a. PCis a quiet fan, a good processor, decent RAM and a load of USB ports. Also enough outs to run more than one monitor.
OMG, yeah, ... that irritates the hell out of me.

Everything has unnecessary lights on them nowadays, which means they're a complete bane if kept in the bedroom.

Thankfully my Dell allows it to be disabled (although there is a small and faint power light I've only just noticed).
---

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3640
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 02 Jul 2021

MrFigg wrote:
01 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
01 Jul 2021


how is this different than any other computer purchase? also, do people actually buy pre-built desktop PCs? 🤔
It’s a problem becasue I personally don’t want Windows 11.
And yea, people do. After years of building my own desktops I’ve moved over to prebuilt office models. Usually Lenovo. Trying to find motherboards without flashing coloured lights was just getting too hard. All I want in a. PCis a quiet fan, a good processor, decent RAM and a load of USB ports. Also enough outs to run more than one monitor.
the second question was really more tongue-in-cheek. I think it generally doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to go pre-built unless someone is just too uncomfortable to put things together themselves. you can even pick your parts and have retailers put them together for you, these days. and picking your own parts, there’s no need to buy blingy RGB stuff if that’s not your thing.

as for the first, I still don’t get how that’s any different than any new pre-built PC or laptop ever. a new OS comes out, new builds will start to have it pre-installed. there will be a time where some will have 10, and others will have 11, but eventually they’ll all be 11. the same way you can’t buy a new PC with Windows 8, or 7, or XP, or 3.1 anymore.

but that does make for an interesting idea…why don’t manufacturers make PCs that don’t have an OS installed, and instead bundle your choice of compatible OS versions? that would be pretty cool, IMO.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 6755
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 02 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
02 Jul 2021
MrFigg wrote:
01 Jul 2021


It’s a problem becasue I personally don’t want Windows 11.
And yea, people do. After years of building my own desktops I’ve moved over to prebuilt office models. Usually Lenovo. Trying to find motherboards without flashing coloured lights was just getting too hard. All I want in a. PCis a quiet fan, a good processor, decent RAM and a load of USB ports. Also enough outs to run more than one monitor.
the second question was really more tongue-in-cheek. I think it generally doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to go pre-built unless someone is just too uncomfortable to put things together themselves. you can even pick your parts and have retailers put them together for you, these days. and picking your own parts, there’s no need to buy blingy RGB stuff if that’s not your thing.

as for the first, I still don’t get how that’s any different than any new pre-built PC or laptop ever. a new OS comes out, new builds will start to have it pre-installed. there will be a time where some will have 10, and others will have 11, but eventually they’ll all be 11. the same way you can’t buy a new PC with Windows 8, or 7, or XP, or 3.1 anymore.

but that does make for an interesting idea…why don’t manufacturers make PCs that don’t have an OS installed, and instead bundle your choice of compatible OS versions? that would be pretty cool, IMO.
1. I went prebuilt (Lenovo) because I got it cheap, it was simple (lots of USB ports, good processor and enough RAM). As I said, I have built so many computers in the past but nowadays trying to find a plain motherboard is not easy. The Lenovo I bought had all the stuff I would have put in a self built at half the price of buying the individual components. Also a years guarantee and no hassle.

2. I know. That’s what I said. They’ll come with 11 preinstalled. I don’t want 11. I want to stay on 10.
丰2ॐ

DaveyG
Posts: 1069
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 02 Jul 2021

These days it's usually cheaper to buy a standard PC with the processor you want then upgrade the RAM and disks to suit.
Just keep an eye on the PSU spec.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3640
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 02 Jul 2021

MrFigg wrote:
02 Jul 2021
2. I know. That’s what I said. They’ll come with 11 preinstalled. I don’t want 11. I want to stay on 10.
not the point. nobody’s forcing you to buy a new PC. 😅 I don’t understand griping about the announcement of a new OS because it’s following the exact same practices that have been in place for 30 years. you could always buy the hardware you want and as long as it’s compatible, reformat and put Windows 10 on it. same as ever. 🤷🏻‍♂️

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 6755
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 02 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
02 Jul 2021
MrFigg wrote:
02 Jul 2021
2. I know. That’s what I said. They’ll come with 11 preinstalled. I don’t want 11. I want to stay on 10.
not the point. nobody’s forcing you to buy a new PC. 😅 I don’t understand griping about the announcement of a new OS because it’s following the exact same practices that have been in place for 30 years. you could always buy the hardware you want and as long as it’s compatible, reformat and put Windows 10 on it. same as ever. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I know. I’m not ”griping”. If you dont care then that’s good. Here we are again with you getting personal about me saying how I feel about things. We’ve been there a few times. Last time you apologized. Looks like you didn’t mean it?
丰2ॐ

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 1659
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 02 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
02 Jul 2021
but that does make for an interesting idea…why don’t manufacturers make PCs that don’t have an OS installed, and instead bundle your choice of compatible OS versions? that would be pretty cool, IMO.
Because the vast majority of customers doesn't want to bother with OS install. It's cheaper and easier to roll it on every PC considering all the hardware quirks than to shift the headache to the support.
There are still sellers that offer the preinstalled OS as an option and allow to save on it.
Active Reason+ subscriber with the attested early R12 access
Reason 11 Suite gathering dust on the shelf

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3640
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 02 Jul 2021

MrFigg wrote:
02 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
02 Jul 2021


not the point. nobody’s forcing you to buy a new PC. 😅 I don’t understand griping about the announcement of a new OS because it’s following the exact same practices that have been in place for 30 years. you could always buy the hardware you want and as long as it’s compatible, reformat and put Windows 10 on it. same as ever. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I know. I’m not ”griping”. If you dont care then that’s good. Here we are again with you getting personal about me saying how I feel about things. We’ve been there a few times. Last time you apologized. Looks like you didn’t mean it?
what? you come into a discussion to say that x is a problem for you, but that’s not griping? okay, we’ll have to agree to disagree there. and getting personal? I have no clue how any of what I said could be interpreted as getting personal. 🤷🏻‍♂️

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 6755
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 02 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
02 Jul 2021
MrFigg wrote:
02 Jul 2021


I know. I’m not ”griping”. If you dont care then that’s good. Here we are again with you getting personal about me saying how I feel about things. We’ve been there a few times. Last time you apologized. Looks like you didn’t mean it?
what? you come into a discussion to say that x is a problem for you, but that’s not griping? okay, we’ll have to agree to disagree there. and getting personal? I have no clue how any of what I said could be interpreted as getting personal. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Too tired Guit. It’ll probably end up the same old back and forth again anyway if we get into this. We’ve done it too many times. Yeah. Agree to disagree. That’ll be great.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3640
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 02 Jul 2021

orthodox wrote:
02 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
02 Jul 2021
but that does make for an interesting idea…why don’t manufacturers make PCs that don’t have an OS installed, and instead bundle your choice of compatible OS versions? that would be pretty cool, IMO.
Because the vast majority of customers doesn't want to bother with OS install. It's cheaper and easier to roll it on every PC considering all the hardware quirks than to shift the headache to the support.
There are still sellers that offer the preinstalled OS as an option and allow to save on it.
that makes sense. the OS probably doesn’t add a ton of cost for the manufacturer, and like I suggested in another post, it shouldn’t be too hard to just reformat and add your own OS if you really want something different.

User avatar
Re8et
Posts: 982
Joined: 14 Nov 2016

Post 04 Jul 2021

I don't know what to think...
I just hope Win 10 stops crashing on every odd day on me...
This was just the latest...
roland.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 711
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 05 Jul 2021

I need the list view on the desktop. My only hope is that they just forgot to block this in the new version. I don't care about anything else.

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 2433
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 05 Jul 2021

Re8et wrote:
04 Jul 2021
I don't know what to think...
I just hope Win 10 stops crashing on every odd day on me...
This was just the latest...

roland.PNG
If Windows 10 is crashing on you every other day, ... check your hardware.

Run a memory and hard-drive test.

I can leave Windows 10 running for weeks without any issues.
---

User avatar
Re8et
Posts: 982
Joined: 14 Nov 2016

Post 05 Jul 2021

avasopht wrote:
05 Jul 2021
Re8et wrote:
04 Jul 2021
I don't know what to think...
I just hope Win 10 stops crashing on every odd day on me...
This was just the latest...

roland.PNG
If Windows 10 is crashing on you every other day, ... check your hardware.

Run a memory and hard-drive test.

I can leave Windows 10 running for weeks without any issues.
I just lost a Firecuda 2Tb. I feel like freefalling just about now.
That aside. It was not the Main HD...
It would not justify my recent main SDD total crash. WIn Freeze
and due reinstall from fresh...
That Driver problem from Roland incompatibility is there...
I had WAAAAAAAAAAAY fewer hardware failures and OS failures on Win 7...
But yeah, hardware is definitely a cause for exceptions.
Be it good, or bad... :oops:

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2518
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 06 Jul 2021

For those lucky enough to run Win 11, check if
Option taskbar > Use small taskbar buttons is still available.
Right click on Taskbar > unlock > resize it the way you want it.

Thanks.
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 1659
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 07 Jul 2021

bxbrkrz wrote:
06 Jul 2021
For those lucky enough to run Win 11, check if
Option taskbar > Use small taskbar buttons is still available.
Right click on Taskbar > unlock > resize it the way you want it.

Thanks.
I saw it in a review on Youtube, "Use small taskbar buttons" is no longer there. But there is an option to align the icons back to the left, as everyone is used to.
Active Reason+ subscriber with the attested early R12 access
Reason 11 Suite gathering dust on the shelf

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2518
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 07 Jul 2021

orthodox wrote:
07 Jul 2021
bxbrkrz wrote:
06 Jul 2021
For those lucky enough to run Win 11, check if
Option taskbar > Use small taskbar buttons is still available.
Right click on Taskbar > unlock > resize it the way you want it.

Thanks.
I saw it in a review on Youtube, "Use small taskbar buttons" is no longer there. But there is an option to align the icons back to the left, as everyone is used to.
It was so satisfying not looking at any icons down my desktop for the past decade. Welp.

Thanks for the feedback.
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 1659
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 07 Jul 2021

bxbrkrz wrote:
07 Jul 2021
orthodox wrote:
07 Jul 2021


I saw it in a review on Youtube, "Use small taskbar buttons" is no longer there. But there is an option to align the icons back to the left, as everyone is used to.
It was so satisfying not looking at any icons down my desktop for the past decade. Welp.

Thanks for the feedback.
I meant aligning the taskbar buttons to the left, not the icons. Many complained that the start button was not in the left corner, it's hard to retrain. Some Mac fan must have infiltrated the Microsoft design team.
Active Reason+ subscriber with the attested early R12 access
Reason 11 Suite gathering dust on the shelf

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2518
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 07 Jul 2021

orthodox wrote:
07 Jul 2021
bxbrkrz wrote:
07 Jul 2021

It was so satisfying not looking at any icons down my desktop for the past decade. Welp.

Thanks for the feedback.
I meant aligning the taskbar buttons to the left, not the icons. Many complained that the start button was not in the left corner, it's hard to retrain. Some Mac fan must have infiltrated the Microsoft design team.
I understood that. I have my taskbar locked vertically on the right side, maximizing the height of my screen's real estate. I always use the Windows key. My eyes never focus on any icons on the taskbar when placed on the right. That's my (psychological?) blind spot.
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3640
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 07 Jul 2021

they’re keeping the ability to have it docked at the right or left though, right? I just switched to doing that recently and it’s a nice way to scrape out some extra screen real estate.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2518
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 07 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
07 Jul 2021
they’re keeping the ability to have it docked at the right or left though, right? I just switched to doing that recently and it’s a nice way to scrape out some extra screen real estate.
https://wccftech.com/windows-11-taskbar ... elsewhere/
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3640
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 07 Jul 2021

bxbrkrz wrote:
07 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
07 Jul 2021
they’re keeping the ability to have it docked at the right or left though, right? I just switched to doing that recently and it’s a nice way to scrape out some extra screen real estate.
https://wccftech.com/windows-11-taskbar ... elsewhere/
son of a… 😅

thanks!

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2518
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 07 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
07 Jul 2021
son of a… 😅

thanks!
Auto hide for the taskbar is still an option on 11. I never liked it but may be forced to.
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3640
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 07 Jul 2021

bxbrkrz wrote:
07 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
07 Jul 2021


son of a… 😅

thanks!
Auto hide for the taskbar is still an option on 11. I never liked it but may be forced to.
yeah, that’s my fallback option, I guess.

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 1659
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 07 Jul 2021

The loss of height due to the taskbar doesn't bother me at all, I have two more displays.
Active Reason+ subscriber with the attested early R12 access
Reason 11 Suite gathering dust on the shelf

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests