Opinions on Bitwig

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
kooshan

18 Jun 2021

Ok I’m a long time reason user and considering to try and use bitwig .just have couple of questions:

1- what do you think about bitwig stock devices? I mostly tend to use just the stock devices (As I’ve always did in Reason) so are they good (the same as reason) in bitwig?

2- Is bitwig a mature daw as it was designed around 2014. So how is it feature wise? Compared to reason and other famous daws which were developed many years ago .

3- I don’t see much toturials, sound packs and stuff about bitwig anywhere compared to Reason , ableton , logic . Is there a reason behind that? Do many people actually use it to make music?

4- I’ve been using reason for about 20 years and have zero problems using that . It’s just I’m a little bored looking at the same thing for over 2 decades and because of that I decided to try a different daw . Is bitwig a good choice for me ? As a reason user

5- is bitwig going to have a bright future? I don’t really want to invest in a daw that the company behind it might abandoned it in like 2 years.Ofcourse no one could say for sure but I would like to hear your opinions.am I thinking in a right direction here?

Thank you very much indeed .

polysix

18 Jun 2021

I think Bitwig is very well done and I'm always amazed at what they can think of. Unfortunately, I have little idea about mixing and mastering, I find it very quiet, but great sounds are created with your own instruments. Unfortunately, I increasingly find the diversity and modularity to be a disadvantage for me. Since at bitwig I often have to think about which modular door should do something ... And sometimes I can't remember where I see the modern abstract representation of instruments as a disadvantage ... With reason, I can answer very intuitively, but bitwig scores with its open controller API great browser ... I think it's good and sometimes exhausting. I would try the demo to see if the concept is something for you.

slic

18 Jun 2021

I have had Bigwig since V2, I also have Live 11 suite and really if you like the clip based and racks paradigm its between those 2. If not, look at Studio One which is also very good if you don't want a clip launcher!

I don't think the stock sounds or instruments/fx are anything great on there own, but when you add in the grid and the unified modulation system you can make everything sound very good (and quite unique).

Live has better sounds (packs), instruments and fx (like stuff by AAS and Cryonics) in suite but its more expensive. You also have about 5000 free or cheap MAX instruments and fx you can add in and arguable the best hardware integration available (PUSH 2)

What Bitwig has is great workflow, advanced racks, the unified modulation system, a great browser, in clip editing , the grid (easy to use custom patching) etc- Live has groove pool, audio to midi, arguably better clip handling, a looper and can play and even edit video in the timeline....and you get MAX4Live with the suite edition (very advanced but harder to learn!)

....so you really need to decide what you need and demo both! (PS- nether has audio pitch editing/quantising!)

Mohammadyarahmad

24 Apr 2024

Hello,
I'm using Bitwig and Reason.
- My friend and I, who uses Ableton, are trying to make a progressive house track there. Sometimes, I, who invited him to try Bitwig, think about using Ableton :)). Many more have this feeling.
-Most of the tutorials are on YouTube. They have an unofficial Discord channel, which 90 of the people are amateur.
-Working with effects is a little hard, but it's doable. The browser makes it easy to find the effect you need.
-The built-in instruments are not professional. The most pro instrument is The Grid.
-Furthermore, instrumental devices, like pianos, Guitars, and Cellos,... use much RAM, compared to other DAWs like Ableton or Reason(Friktion, Radical Piano).
- They are trying to build a future since they are adding interesting effects but as slow as a turtle.
-Their sound packs are downloadable through the DAW.

Although I have struggled to use Bitwig, I have made my tracks in Reason Studios (also the new track that finished today) because it's much easier.

spacepluk

Yesterday

I think Reason’s stock stuff is a lot better. And I don’t like their licensing scheme. The modular grid is cool but at the end of the day I find Reason is way more inspiring for me.

Stamatz

Yesterday

I use Bitwig and also have Reason 12 Suite. If Reason Studios had a clip launcher and support for launchpads I would have never left.
Now I use Bitwig as my main DAW and use RRP to access all of Reasons devices.
Hoping they will intorduce these features in R13 so I can move back to Reason DAW but I got tired of waiting and no info on what they are working on made the decision to move for me.
Coming from a hardware/analog background Reason is easier for me to use and understand but having fun learning Bitwig too.
Bitwig 5.2 dropped, looking forward to checking that out.
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

tomusurp

45 minutes ago

I'm in a similar boat except I just like to learn new tools and DAW's for fun. For whatever reason I trialed Bitwig and didn't like it, which I know sounds very vague so take it with a grain of salt, but I don't even recall why. With that said I'm an owner of FL and Logic, the only two other DAW's I would happily use if I didn't have Reason, but I have not tried Reaper, Studio One, or Ableton yet. The only thing is pitch correction and mixing is super clunky in FL studio, but it's got a fun easy interface and wonderful piano roll. I've made a few bangers in there, it's just that the mixing takes a bit more time where in Reason mixing and mastering is super streamlined because of the Spectrum EQ and SSL console. Because of that I'm always mixing on the go in Reason and very productive with it. Logic is very solid overall but again without stuff like SSL console and spectrum EQ the mixing simply takes longer, which is not a big deal but when you've been spoiled by Reason's mixing access speed it's hard to want to open another DAW. Overall Reason is still the best
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

• Information