Dreadbox Typhon mono Synth + DSp fx, worth it?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Re8et

Post 30 Apr 2021

I like the fact that it has 256 preset slots.
I like the fact that Sinevibes has made custom effects for it.

I don't like the fact it has no PC GUI in that you don't know how to make your own effects and presets from scratch.
It just doesn't sound like a Dark Tribe, or Minotaur.
I don't like it being mono...

It's like the Monotone Bass Synth for Reason essentially....
It's pricetag it's... expensive if compared to a Korg Monologue it's 100 euros more....

What do you guys think??

Sterioevo

Post 30 Apr 2021

I think it is great value. The modulation capabilities run deep. I bought mine to use with my digitone midi tracks. The effects are very good for the price and go beyond the usual stock standards, with the capability for an external audio input a nice extra.
I have created a max 4 live interface so all the midi controllers are exposed and visible on one page. This improves the experience as the screen is quite small.
Continues to be supported with updates and improvements.
I need to spend more time working with the modulation capabilities and features such as the in-built sequencer, defnately happy with the purchase thus far.
Obviously no keyboard so it is a bit different in this respect as compared to the Monologue.

BRIGGS

Post 30 Apr 2021

R11 Suite

My music made in Reason : https://audius.co/jeff40529158

joeyluck

Post 30 Apr 2021

Perhaps not so similar, but if you like Sinevibes making things for hardware, it might be worth checking out the Korg NTS-1.

Zac

Post 01 May 2021

I had a Typhon but sold it to get a polysynth. It sounds great. The left side synth controls felt pretty playable. I found the right side fx and mod capabilities a bit fiddly but insanely deep.

I would welcome one back into my set up at any time but I would need to be more patient to get some of the beautiful sounds found online. The presets got updated recently but to my ears still aren't amazing. Although I believe user patches are available online.

As for the nts-1 I love mine. Has to be the best value synth available. I have filled up my user osc and fx slots with freebies and paid for chord and drone oscs which are both amazing. No preset saving is the only minor niggle for me.

joeyluck

Post 03 May 2021

Zac wrote:
01 May 2021
As for the nts-1 I love mine. Has to be the best value synth available. I have filled up my user osc and fx slots with freebies and paid for chord and drone oscs which are both amazing. No preset saving is the only minor niggle for me.
I'm hoping they come out with an NTS in the form factor of a Volca 🤞

Zac

Post 04 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
03 May 2021
Zac wrote:
01 May 2021
I'm hoping they come out with an NTS in the form factor of a Volca 🤞
Yes, having a sequencer on board would be nice. The usb midi integration is very good though. Oscillatorsink did a YouTube video called something like "nts-1 gets all the midi" which was very impressive. I'll see if I can find a link... Here we go

The drone osc by Tim Shoebridge https://www.soundmangling.com/2020/05/1 ... scillator/
basically covered my desires for a Lyra-8. Well, that and the lira8 vst.

kinkujin

Post 05 May 2021

I have the Typhon and also had the Erebus v3. Believe it or not I sold the Erebus.
I think it's a little wonder of a synth.

• Information