New Mac ???

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
gritz

Post 28 Apr 2021

Ok have a 2015 MacBook Pro 13 retina screen blah blah snd think it’s time to update - hearing so much pros and cons about new macs - who has the latest MacBooks the ones with the biggest memory and processing power - are they better ? Any issues or regrets or anybody change from a Mac to a pc ??

integerpoet

Post 28 Apr 2021

The biggest issues I can think of are:
  • Does your audio interface need a driver? Has it been updated for M1 Macs?
  • Reason has not been updated for M1 yet but it runs mostly fine in emulation.
What are the cons you've heard?

Steedus

Post 29 Apr 2021

If you're talking about the M1 Macs, there's only 1 CPU option*, and you only have 2 RAM options - 8GB or 16GB.

If you're talking about the Intel Macs, I have a late 2018 MacBook Pro with the i7 6-core CPU and 16GB of RAM, so a couple of years old at this point. I definitely find these MacBook Pro enclosures to be thermal limiting for the Intel CPUs. I only have to run Reason for 10 mins with a few plugins and it's screaming hot. After a longer session I definitely notice some performance loss as the CPU has to throttle down to avoid overheating. Not unusable ofcourse, but definitely noticeable to me.

On the other hand from what I hear about the M1 Macs, they sound very impressive, and run much cooler apparently. I'm personally waiting for a 2nd gen to come out (M2 or maybe M1X) and for Reason to get native support.

In either case I wouldn't necessarily say hold off from buying yet (or from buying an Intel Mac), but Intel MacBook Pros definitely have thermal issues, but M1 Macs are still in their infancy and you may have to be a bit patient in getting native updates to some software.

* Ok, technically there's two, one with 7 GPU cores, and one with 8 ..

DaveyG

Post 29 Apr 2021

Steedus wrote:
29 Apr 2021

On the other hand from what I hear about the M1 Macs, they sound very impressive, and run much cooler apparently. I'm personally waiting for a 2nd gen to come out (M2 or maybe M1X) and for Reason to get native support.
This is good advice. If you can wait then I'd say wait for 2nd Gen M1, or at least for the current range to be expanded and for DAW and Plugin companies to catch up. I'm not sure I'd want to spend $$$ on a new Intel Mac right now.

ortxedys

Post 29 Apr 2021

As an M1 owner I'd say they're worth it. A lot of people that don't own the machine will tell you to get the most expensive one. I'd say do that if you're sure you are going to need the processing power.

I have the base model Air and it works beautifully with Logic and RRP as a plugin. I can actually make music and not have to bounce anything down. The laptop barely gets hot even without the fan.

If you're going to use anything else besides Logic and RRP then you might run into issues. I'm not sure what the guys did but I was genuinely surprised at how many RRP and cpu intensive RE's I was able to open.

If you're actually considering purchasing one, look up benchmark videos. The Air outperformed the m1 pro in a few of them. You're really paying for the touch bar and built in fan. Also, a lot of the benchmarks I watched were strictly DAW benchmarks. So do with this info as you may.

• Information