Studio One Update 5.2

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
arqui

09 Mar 2021

I think I am right in saying that Studio One is going to be the best DAW in no time.
this is only the second point update, much more than other software with full updates ...
Update 5.1 was awesome too
All updates are made according to user suggestions ..... (something that looks weird here)

Please note:

- Make sure that your 3rd party plug-ins are updated to the most recent version.
- [macOS only] If you’re experiencing any graphics issues with 3rd-party plug-ins, you may disable graphics hardware acceleration (Preferences > General) for improved compatibility.

New features and improvements:

● Recording and Mixing
o Increased buffer for Retrospective Recording
o Splitter available as a plug-in
o Micro view for Splitter in mixer
o Pan for multiple selected channels
o Improved tempo detection and approval
o External Instruments Transform

● Arrangement and Editing
o Live arranging with Arranger Track
o New Sound Variations system and mapping editor
o Assign Sound Variations with right-click
o Control Sound Variations via remote commands and macros
o Save Sound Variations map with instrument preset
o Auto import and conversion option for existing key switch maps
o Dynamic mapping for third- party instruments (via new API for developers)
o Score View: drum notation support
o Score View: guitar tablature support
o Score View: support for multiple voices
o Improved velocity range selection in Note Editor
o “Smarter” Arrow Tool behavior in Piano View

● Live Performance
o Arranger Track on Show Page
o Chord Track on Show Page
o Automatic Patch changes on Arranger Sections
o Alternative playback modes for Arranger Sections
o Live arranging with Arranger Track
o Updated Performance View with new pages for Arranger Sections and Patches
o Show control from Studio One Remote

● PreSonus Sphere
o Access Workspaces from Browser
o Upload and download via drag & drop for selected file types

● General
o Compatibility with Apple Silicon based Macs (using Rosetta 2)
o Improved ATOM SQ integration
o FaderPort integration improvements
o Studio One Remote 1.6 update
o MIDI bank change UI improvements
o Safety and recovery options
o Full-screen mode for Windows

New commands

● Arranger
o Stop at End of Bar
o Stop at End of Section
o Set Sync Mode 1 Bar
o Set Sync Mode 2 Bars
o Set Sync Mode 4 Bars
o Set Sync Mode End
o Set Sync Mode Off
o Goto Section 1..16

● Audio
o New Clip Version
o Separate Shared Copies

● Event
o Separate Shared Copies
o Convert Keyswitches to Sound Variations

● Edit
o Show Tracks with Events

● File
o Open with Options

● Score
o Double at Interval
o Quantize to Notation
o Rebuild Score
o Send to Voice 1
o Send to Voice 2
o Send to Voice 3
o Send to Voice 4

● Show
o Set Section Playback Mode Continue
o Set Section Playback Mode Loop
o Set Section Playback Mode Loop and Continue
o Set Section Playback Mode Loop and Skip
o Set Section Playback Mode Stop at End
o Toggle Section Playback Mode Loop / Continue

● Sound Variation
o Apply Variation 1..20
o Find and Apply Variation

● Track
o Unpack Selected Layers to Tracks

● View
o Fullscreen

The following issues have been fixed:
● [macOS High Sierra] Crash on loading certain songs
● [macOS] CPU spikes when using "CharacterSaw" in MaiTai or changing the "Pre"
parameter value in Room Reverb on M1 driven Macs
● [FaderPort 8/16] Control Link: autofill mappings are overwritten by static mappings
● [Faderport 8/16] Track visibility with Studio One is not synced
● [Score Editor] Wrong playback for tremolos on 8th notes or shorter
● [Sample One XT] Potential crash while adjusting sample boundaries
● Moving events in nested folders don’t display correctly
● Swing notes not been applied correctly in the pattern editor
● "Layers follow events" resets when duplicating track
● Preview in song tempo only works with first loop
● Show Page not changing presets in certain situations
● “Bounce selection” from bar 1 w/ external instrument inaccurate
● Vienna Ensemble load time regression
● Removing plug-ins from AUX channels won’t reset latency
● Failure to import very long MP3 files
● Preview in song tempo only works with first loop
● Sends are duplicated when recalling track with side chain
● Changing time signature not working for Scratch Pads
● VU Meter shows clip before 0 dbfs
● Quantize issues with late and early 16ths
● Multi-outs saved in a Instrument+FX preset or Musicloop are not recalled correctly
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

QVprod

09 Mar 2021

Definitely one of the more feature packed DAWs. It's one of my go to's as well. I don;'t think features requested by users is weird here though. I've seen just about everything RS has added to reason over the years requested by someone before. They're just a little slow to getting around to it sometimes lol.

Good update though. I wasn't interested in 5, but the live triggering for performance has my attention. I'm more likely to update Studio One from 4 to 5 than to upgrade a Live lite license.

littlejam

09 Mar 2021

hello,

hopefully this question fits in here

when looking around for a 2nd daw

studio one vs reaper vs acid pro?

i used reason rewired to acid
i used reason rewired to reaper
then for the last 5 years has been all reason
i've never used / seen studio one

the daw has to support MPE (acid pro does not)

thanks and cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

jam-s

09 Mar 2021

Studio One now seems pretty suitable for orchestral scores while Reason is still pretty centred around electronic music/beats making.

ScuzzyEye

10 Mar 2021

littlejam wrote:
09 Mar 2021
hello,

hopefully this question fits in here

when looking around for a 2nd daw

studio one vs reaper vs acid pro?

i used reason rewired to acid
i used reason rewired to reaper
then for the last 5 years has been all reason
i've never used / seen studio one

the daw has to support MPE (acid pro does not)
I use Reason, Reaper, and Studio One.

I like Reason for its routing flexibility. I also like to edit audio in Reason. I don't know if it's just familiarity, but I can cut, copy, trim, and move audio faster in Reason than any other DAW. The lack of VST3 support, and 32-bit float export has me using it for less these days for actual production work.

Reaper comes close for routing, but like all things Reaper, it's not pretty. Reaper is a super functional DAW, but it doesn't have bells and or whistles. It just lets you do most anything, as long as you can figure out how to do it. It records MPE fine. Editing it is another matter. Reaper's MIDI editing is probably its worst part. It's functional, but that's it. I mostly use Reaper for mixing/mastering. It also handles multi-channel (e.g. surround) audio as easy as stereo (oddly enough Reaper also handles mono like it's stereo).

Studio One has one of the best MPE implementations I've seen. That's actually why I started using it. Everything about Studio One's MIDI sequencer is great. I should say sequencers. It has dedicated piano roll, drum sequencing, and key switching modes that make different types of work a breeze. The biggest drawback for Studio One is that you can't send audio to an instrument. Things like vocoders, auto drum replacement, or any other instrument + effect, just won't work.

littlejam

10 Mar 2021

hello,

thanks for the info
i am looking into studio1

what type of MPE controllers are users using?
i'm leaning towards the linnstrument
(currently out of stock)

the op post listing the release notes for the new studio1 upadate was a goodgood read
very seductive and sexy
reason used to be like this
now, it's just ____________________________

thanks and cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49

DaveyG

11 Mar 2021

There are many differences between Reason Studios and Presonus but a huge glaring one is respect for their customers. Presonus go out of their way to listen to and incorporate feature requests and their tech support is quick and helpful. Listening to what your customers want is a great way to make a product more successful.

Presonus don't always get it right but they are good at responding quickly when they don't. For example, when they launched Sphere, their subscription service, there was a requirement for an installation to connect to their servers at least every three days which caused a bit of a stir amongst some users. A few weeks later they changed this to be once every thirty days. Not perfect but much more palatable.

And this free V5.2 point release incorporates more new features than a paid "whole release" from Reason Studios and there will probably be at least a couple more releases before they go for a paid V6. I expect Reason V12 will have a headline feature of high res graphics, three or four lesser improvements and a handful of new instruments, players and/or effects. I expect to be underwhelmed!

danc

11 Mar 2021

DaveyG wrote:
11 Mar 2021
There are many differences between Reason Studios and Presonus but a huge glaring one is respect for their customers. Presonus go out of their way to listen to and incorporate feature requests and their tech support is quick and helpful. Listening to what your customers want is a great way to make a product more successful.

Presonus don't always get it right but they are good at responding quickly when they don't. For example, when they launched Sphere, their subscription service, there was a requirement for an installation to connect to their servers at least every three days which caused a bit of a stir amongst some users. A few weeks later they changed this to be once every thirty days. Not perfect but much more palatable.

And this free V5.2 point release incorporates more new features than a paid "whole release" from Reason Studios and there will probably be at least a couple more releases before they go for a paid V6. I expect Reason V12 will have a headline feature of high res graphics, three or four lesser improvements and a handful of new instruments, players and/or effects. I expect to be underwhelmed!
Just like a few of you here.. I straddle between both Reason and Studio One. The best bit of 5.2 update for me is the MIDI improvements... like MUTE and SPLIT notes.

There is one thing that I do miss from Reason, which isn't currently available in S1... if you create automation lanes .. the automation is not encapsulated inside an event. What I mean is this... if you look at MIDI notes or AUDIO - they live in events ... so you can select an event and move the MIDI notes (or AUDIO) around as a whole. The same can't be done with automation. Instead you have to select the automation dots you want to move and then move them. It makes editing automation a little fiddly. Whereas... in Reason automation on automation lanes sit inside event chunks. Yes - I know you can create automation inside MIDI and AUDIO events... but I prefer to have my automation separate from MIDI/AUDIO events.

I've just sent this idea to Presonus as a support ticket... and you know what... I can guarantee they will a) get back to me really quickly... and b) no doubt have it available in v5.3.
Check my Soundcloud:

arqui

11 Mar 2021

danc wrote:
11 Mar 2021
DaveyG wrote:
11 Mar 2021

Just like a few of you here.. I straddle between both Reason and Studio One. The best bit of 5.2 update for me is the MIDI improvements... like MUTE and SPLIT notes.

There is one thing that I do miss from Reason, which isn't currently available in S1... if you create automation lanes .. the automation is not encapsulated inside an event. What I mean is this... if you look at MIDI notes or AUDIO - they live in events ... so you can select an event and move the MIDI notes (or AUDIO) around as a whole. The same can't be done with automation. Instead you have to select the automation dots you want to move and then move them. It makes editing automation a little fiddly. Whereas... in Reason automation on automation lanes sit inside event chunks. Yes - I know you can create automation inside MIDI and AUDIO events... but I prefer to have my automation separate from MIDI/AUDIO events.

I've just sent this idea to Presonus as a support ticket... and you know what... I can guarantee they will a) get back to me really quickly... and b) no doubt have it available in v5.3.
I'm sure it will be, Presonus is a very large company, and its strength is to please customers ... as I said at the beginning, it will soon be the best DAW ...
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

littlejam

11 Mar 2021

hello,

what is the learning curve for studio1 professional please?

also, can someone describe how the software is authorized (online / ilok / etc)

i also see they offer a 25% off coupon for switching from another daw

thanks for your help,

j
littlejamaicastudios

Noise
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2021

littlejam wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Hello littlejam, very interesting, where I can find such delightful information ?
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

littlejam

11 Mar 2021

hello,

i found it here

https://shop.presonus.com/Studio-One-5-Crossgrade

you need to apply first and hopefully it works for reason owners

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios

paulred67

11 Mar 2021

littlejam wrote:
11 Mar 2021
hello,

thanks for your help,

j
When I bought Studio One Professional 10 years ago, I was a bit scared, when I compared it to Reason. Today I would say it's very easy, user friendly and efficient DAW. As for authorization, you don't need ilok. Probably you have to be online, if you subscribe to Presonus Sphere, but I own full license and it's authorized on my computer. In fact, you can authorize it on up to 5 computers, as far as you use only one at a time.
Studio One 6, Melodyne 5 Studio, Nord Stage, Roland RD-88, VR-730, Jupiter-Xm, JD-08, Arturia V Collection X, Pigments 5, Korg Collection 3, East West Cloud, Sampletank 4, Miroslav Philharmonic 2, Syntronik, Sampletron, Hammond B-3X, Blue 3, Pianoteq.

danc

11 Mar 2021

paulred67 wrote:
11 Mar 2021
littlejam wrote:
11 Mar 2021
hello,

thanks for your help,

j
When I bought Studio One Professional 10 years ago, I was a bit scared, when I compared it to Reason. Today I would say it's very easy, user friendly and efficient DAW. As for authorization, you don't need ilok. Probably you have to be online, if you subscribe to Presonus Sphere, but I own full license and it's authorized on my computer. In fact, you can authorize it on up to 5 computers, as far as you use only one at a time.
Following on regarding learning curve... I moved over to S1 from Reason last year and although there was an initial few days of re-training my brain to memorise new short-cut keys, everything else was extremely easy to learn as it is well laid out and all the functionality is in what I call "obvious" places - you rarely have to go looking for stuff.

The thing is this... it has exponentially more capability than Reason, so it will take you time to appreciate and discover all of the extra functions that are simply not possible in Reason... e.g. folder tracks, score notation, chord tracks, split audio channels (where you can run different plugins on different frequency bands on the same audio channel), freeze tracks (so you create an audio version of a track and the plugins are switched off to save CPU - which you can revert back to at a later stage). The list of EXTRA power goes on and on. Just take your time to learn it.

I now use Reason as a plugin to S1 and it's a powerful combo.
Check my Soundcloud:

Noise
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2021

littlejam wrote:
11 Mar 2021
hello,

i found it here

https://shop.presonus.com/Studio-One-5-Crossgrade

you need to apply first and hopefully it works for reason owners

cheers,

j
From the Info, when upgrading:
"If you own an existing DAW but would like to switch over to the most intuitive recording software on the planet, "

How can I say no to the most intuitive recording on the PLANET??
Reason 12 will land on mars, just to be the most intuitive. (on another planet)
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

littlejam

11 Mar 2021

hello,

thanks for the information
i'm gonna look at the youtube for studio1 videos with mpe

is there anything you miss from reason when using the rrp?
i read somewhere you can't load samples into redrum / nn19 / nnxt / kong...
(i can be totally wrong in this case)
it just got me thinking about the limitations of the rrp

thanks and cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios

tronam

11 Mar 2021

I'm definitely impressed by PreSonus and their aggressive push to innovate the DAW market. They co-developed ARA with Celemony and their new public domain API to enable host/plugin communication for sophisticated keyswitching is fantastic, something I'd love to see broadly adopted since (unlike VST3) it's format/platform agnostic. It's always nice to see hungry developers like this.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

tronam

11 Mar 2021

arqui wrote:
09 Mar 2021
I think I am right in saying that Studio One is going to be the best DAW in no time.
this is only the second point update, much more than other software with full updates ...
Reaper and FL Studio's point updates have been amazing too and Logic's have been so consistently good they basically made the whole idea of versions pointless, so it's just Logic Pro now without the X.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

danc

12 Mar 2021

littlejam wrote:
11 Mar 2021
hello,

thanks for the information
i'm gonna look at the youtube for studio1 videos with mpe

is there anything you miss from reason when using the rrp?
i read somewhere you can't load samples into redrum / nn19 / nnxt / kong...
(i can be totally wrong in this case)
it just got me thinking about the limitations of the rrp

thanks and cheers,

j
You can LOAD samples into RRP instruments... it's just that you can't open the SAMPLE EDIT window. You often want to slice the sample up once you've loaded it... hopefully they will fix this soon... (maybe they should take a few weeks out from building yet another new RE instrument and concentrate on their long forgotten DAW and RRP - just a suggestion!)...

- - -
sample-editor-in-reason-2.jpg
sample-editor-in-reason-2.jpg (52.16 KiB) Viewed 4560 times
Check my Soundcloud:

slightlyprog

09 Sep 2022

How is the CPU efficiency in Studio One vs Reason? (Reason 10, windows PC, i7 3rd gen)

I've been able to do what I needed up to now but want to move to something more efficient for mixing. I've heard Reaper is the most CPU efficient but I am leaning toward Studio One.

cymek74

09 Sep 2022

slightlyprog wrote:
09 Sep 2022
How is the CPU efficiency in Studio One vs Reason? (Reason 10, windows PC, i7 3rd gen)

I've been able to do what I needed up to now but want to move to something more efficient for mixing. I've heard Reaper is the most CPU efficient but I am leaning toward Studio One.
I use Studio One for final mixing exclusively, it's great for that job, I find it very intuitive, easy routing, being able to put a plugin on multiple tracks with a couple of clicks, easy communication between devices, and great audio editing tools. I gave up on trying to do everything in a single DAW, Bitwig for sequencing, RRP for all the synths, effects, and players, and Studio One for mixing and final editing. The cpu issues were addressed on one of the point updates a while back, it's really quite good, better in my experience than Bitwig or Ableton, I haven't run into any problems cpu wise with a similar setup to yours.
Reason 12, Bitwig 4, Win 10 :recycle: :reason: :re:

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2022

Studio One is cool. Easy to use, powerful, stable, etc.

Hardware controllers and stuff with motorized faders.

I rarely ever use it.

I even bought the single channel fader to use in a studio but ended up recording in Reason. Why? I tried Studio One at first, but I found it much easier to match the tempo of the instrumental in Reason ... and it paid off because when it came to arranging the track and making quick but subtle adjustments to the vocal recording, Reason is uber powerful.

A lot of people probably don't know how seamlessly you can use a combination of Reason's editing modes on the same clip (e.g. APE/rhythm). While you can adjust the timing of notes in APE, when you just want to adjust the timing I prefer to use the rhythm mode.

Studio One has most of the features I need, but I often find myself recording in Reason.

Of the traditional timeline-type DAWs, I'd definitely recommend Studio One over Reaper and Cubase (and maybe ProTools as well).

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2022

But if a point update is more than most DAW updates ... ... ... well ... ... unless the DAW is 10x more advanced than those other DAWs, ... that probably doesn't mean much if anything at all.

But is that really more than most DAWs improve every 2 years?

It's a long list, but it's features AND improvements. The first 5 were pretty tame (possibly with the exception of the External Instrument Transform, since I've no idea what that is).

Jac459

09 Sep 2022

Hello, I don't want to troll a thread of studio One fans, it is a great DAW.
But you really should give a short try to Bitwig. In my view, presonus is a great company, well managed. But bitwig is where the software engineers genius are and where the innovation is.
It has M1 support since way longer than S1, MPE also, it has a mature Clap support (they are the inventors of it).
The UI is for me ultra intuitive and easy to grasp coming from reason (tried multiple times ableton without success).
The support of VSTs is legendary, it has a sandbox allowing the VSTs to crash without impacting the DAW(don't know if any other DAWs does that).
It also has a focus on 'modulations', allowing to very easily modulate every part of your synth.
The support of controllers is also just awesome and easy.

I see a lot of people are switching to it. I am training myself a lot using YouTube videos and a lot of the "very good trainers" I follow are in bitwig. I am not talking about trainers explaining how to create a sawtooth lead or use an lfo. I am talking about artists sharing mind-blowing and useful tips.

Finally it goes very very well with reason RRP.
And coming from reason, it feels so good to know that you are in THE DAW that will have every features and innovation before the others.
I do understand that every DAW has a focus and strengths and weaknesses, and I am not here to preach but just give a go, it only cost a few hours..
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

crimsonwarlock

10 Sep 2022

Jac459 wrote:
09 Sep 2022
The support of VSTs is legendary, it has a sandbox allowing the VSTs to crash without impacting the DAW(don't know if any other DAWs does that).
Reaper has that as well, and additional modes of running VSTs as stable as possible.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

• Information