Moving to Reaper from Reason

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EdGrip

Post 03 Jun 2021

(all DAWs sound the same)

guitfnky

Post 03 Jun 2021

electricthing wrote: ↑
02 Jun 2021
Nowadays when somebody expresses their preference for the sound of one Daw they are not that automatically attacked by the 'null gang' as it used to be.
that's because this is not a thing. the fact that you've gone so far as to coin a derisive term for people who use scientific methods to debunk such fictions is telling. it's an implicit acknowledgment that someone has gone to lengths to come up with a definitive, factual answer which you've then consciously decided to ignore, because, IDK, feelings? 🤷‍♂️

Proboscis

Post 03 Jun 2021

EnochLight wrote: ↑
25 May 2021

never felt compelled to actually buy a full license

(pro tip: you can use it for free forever, as the "free trial" nag screen is easy to wait out).
The nag screen that opens with the first sentence, in caps:

REAPER IS NOT FREE

Not sure how you are comfortable advocating piracy on a public forum, but I'm sure you'll have a well composed response in justification of ripping off a developer.

and is it a 'pro tip' ? Seems like a hack tip.
08 Mar 2021
And while they do sell perpetual licenses, you can keep using it forever for free if you just click past the nag screen. :thumbup:
The internet time machine noticed that you've supported this type of nefarious activity previously. At least you're consistent.

It's almost certain that in March, the nag screen also stated:

REAPER IS NOT FREE

EdGrip

Post 03 Jun 2021

I personally love the sarcastic tone of the "Still Evaluating" button, and the look Reaper gives me when I click it.

"Been evaluating for 1,788 days. But you're still evaluating, yeah? Still just getting a feel for it, aye mate?"

EnochLight

Post 03 Jun 2021

Proboscis wrote: ↑
03 Jun 2021
25 May 2021

never felt compelled to actually buy a full license

(pro tip: you can use it for free forever, as the "free trial" nag screen is easy to wait out).
The nag screen that opens with the first sentence, in caps:

REAPER IS NOT FREE

Not sure how you are comfortable advocating piracy on a public forum, but I'm sure you'll have a well composed response in justification of ripping off a developer.

and is it a 'pro tip' ? Seems like a hack tip.
08 Mar 2021
And while they do sell perpetual licenses, you can keep using it forever for free if you just click past the nag screen. :thumbup:
The internet time machine noticed that you've supported this type of nefarious activity previously. At least you're consistent.

It's almost certain that in March, the nag screen also stated:

REAPER IS NOT FREE
That’s adorable. Look, if Cockos wanted to, they’d lock it down very easily after a set “demo” period. They don’t. It can be used - forever - by simply clicking past the nag screen. Stop conflating piracy with what they are doing and what I clearly pointed out - which is common knowledge. If you have a problem, take it up with Cockos.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

jjrh

Post 03 Jun 2021

I think the point is Cockos doesn't take the extra step to lock you down because that's annoying, and futile. It's also recognition that folks might not spend all their time evaluating the second they install.

Everyone else requires you sign up, give your email away, etc only to give you a very restricted demo. It's a nice change when a company doesn't do that so I think if you find the software useful and use it frequently why not pay for it? The price is more than reasonable - even for hobbyist.

orthodox
RE Developer

Post 03 Jun 2021

Use Cakewalk - it's free for real:

Active Reason+ subscriber with (hopefully) early R12 access
Reason 11 Suite gathering dust on the shelf

sdst

Post 03 Jun 2021

08 Mar 2021
* raises hand * :lol:
I have never felt inspired in Reaper, not in the least - it's just a convoluted mess to me.
yes very convoluted, until you learn to use it. :lol:

EnochLight

Post 03 Jun 2021

jjrh wrote: ↑
03 Jun 2021
I think the point is Cockos doesn't take the extra step to lock you down because that's annoying, and futile. It's also recognition that folks might not spend all their time evaluating the second they install.
Or folks might spend their time actually pirating the software, which would be: cracking the protection protocol and sharing it on torrents, downloading and using said cracked software, or selling it cracked. I just wanted to be clear: clicking past a manufacture created nag screen indefinitely is NOT that. Proboscis and anyone else is welcome to disagree. :thumbup:
sdst wrote: ↑
03 Jun 2021
Admittedly, one can easily say that about Reason as well, apparently! :lol:
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

jjrh

Post 03 Jun 2021

03 Jun 2021
Or folks might spend their time actually pirating the software, which would be: cracking the protection protocol and sharing it on torrents, downloading and using said cracked software, or selling it cracked. I just wanted to be clear: clicking past a manufacture created nag screen indefinitely is NOT that. Proboscis and anyone else is welcome to disagree. :thumbup:
If you actually use the software and like it, I think it's unfair and arguably unethical to just click by, but it's certainly not what I would personally call piracy.

sdst wrote: ↑
03 Jun 2021
08 Mar 2021
* raises hand * :lol:
I have never felt inspired in Reaper, not in the least - it's just a convoluted mess to me.
The thing that drives me nuts is while you can dock windows to the TCP you can't have a second window that lets you do that. So with two monitors i'm endlessly moving all the floating windows around. What I really want is a second window to put program stuff like the marker list, action list, media browser, etc. Ideally have tabs so I can easily switch between different views.

I was looking last night and there are hotkeys to make flipping between windows much faster but it's going to take some getting used to and i'm not sure it's really going to solve window positioning.

jam-s

Post 03 Jun 2021

03 Jun 2021
03 Jun 2021
Technically if you're using the software after the free trial period has expired you're using the software without a valid license and thus you are pirating it by definition.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

sdst

Post 03 Jun 2021

03 Jun 2021

The thing that drives me nuts is while you can dock windows to the TCP you can't have a second window that lets you do that. So with two monitors i'm endlessly moving all the floating windows around. What I really want is a second window to put program stuff like the marker list, action list, media browser, etc. Ideally have tabs so I can easily switch between different views.

I was looking last night and there are hotkeys to make flipping between windows much faster but it's going to take some getting used to and i'm not sure it's really going to solve window positioning.
I don't use two monitors

but check this,

you can save the position of everything and put shortcuts

Menu/ View/ Screensets/Layouts

EdGrip

Post 03 Jun 2021

I feel fine about clicking by because I only ever use Reaper as a 1-track YouTube-grabbing tape machine that loads up instantly. Having said that, I do intend to buy the license at some point because I like what they're doing.

EnochLight

Post 03 Jun 2021

jam-s wrote: ↑
03 Jun 2021
Technically if you're using the software after the free trial period has expired you're using the software without a valid license and thus you are pirating it by definition.
Counterpoint...

jam-s

Post 03 Jun 2021

03 Jun 2021
03 Jun 2021
Counterpoint...

How about "NO!"?
Reaper EULA wrote:
END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT For REAPER®

IMPORTANT: This REAPER® ("Software") End User License Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or, if purchased for an entity, an entity) and Cockos Incorporated ("Cockos"). READ IT CAREFULLY BEFORE COMPLETING THE INSTALLATION PROCESS AND USING THIS SOFTWARE. It provides a license to use this software and contains warranty and liability disclaimers. BY DOWNLOADING OR INSTALLING THE SOFTWARE YOU ARE INDICATING YOUR FULL AND VOLUNTARY ASSENT TO THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. If you do not agree to all of the following terms, do not download or install the software or discontinue use immediately and destroy all copies on your computer.

1. License Grants and Purchase:
1.1 Trial Period License. You may download and use the Software for free for sixty (60) days after installation ("Trial Period"). During the Trial Period, Cockos grants you a limited, non-exclusive and non-transferable license to copy and use the Software for evaluation purposes only. The evaluation copy of the Software is fully functional.
1.2 License After Trial Period. If you continue to use this Software after the Trial Period, you are required to purchase a license. The license fee varies according to your use, as follows:
a) A commercial license currently is $225.00 USD.
b) The following users are granted permission to purchase a discounted license for $60 USD:
i) You are an individual, using REAPER® only for personal and non-commercial uses.
ii) You are either an individual or business, using REAPER® for a commercial purpose, and your annual gross revenue derived from commercial activity does not exceed $20,000 USD.
iii) You are an educational or other non-profit organization.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

avasopht

Post 03 Jun 2021

Reaper kinda sounds like the Linux of the DAWs
---

guitfnky

Post 03 Jun 2021

I can’t believe there are people arguing that using paid software without paying for it isn’t piracy.

just because someone leaves the doors unlocked and their keys in the ignition doesn’t mean it’s not theft if you drive their car away—even if you put it back.

EnochLight

Post 03 Jun 2021

03 Jun 2021
How about "NO!"?
guitfnky wrote: ↑
03 Jun 2021
just because someone leaves the doors unlocked and their keys in the ignition doesn’t mean it’s not theft if you drive their car away—even if you put it back.
It would be awesome if Cockos made cars their primary business. Maybe you're onto something?! :clap: :lol:

• Information