Migrated back to Windows after 13 years on Mac OS.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Whoopdee

24 Feb 2021

My 2013 Macbook Pro wasn't keeping up with all the plugins I wanted to load in Reason so I was in the market for a new computer and started looking at the M1 chips like the fool I am.

Then a friend turned me onto a cheaper alternative:

Bought a 10 year old Thinkpad w530 quadcore. Installed 1vyrain to unlock the BIOS, overclocked it and now I can load 10x+ the amount of plugins as I could on my $$$$ macbook pro. It runs cooler with fresh paste and is completely serviceable.

Best,

Giuseppe

https://1vyra.in/

BRIGGS

24 Feb 2021

Whoopdee wrote:
24 Feb 2021
My 2013 Macbook Pro wasn't keeping up with all the plugins I wanted to load in Reason so I was in the market for a new computer and started looking at the M1 chips like the fool I am.

Then a friend turned me onto a cheaper alternative:

Bought a 10 year old Thinkpad w530 quadcore. Installed 1vyrain to unlock the BIOS, overclocked it and now I can load 10x+ the amount of plugins as I could on my $$$$ macbook pro. It runs cooler with fresh paste and is completely serviceable.

Best,

Giuseppe

https://1vyra.in/
Nice!

I mainly run a thinkpad T420 that I paid $150 for....I put a Samsung SSD in it.

I love it! :puf_smile:
r11s

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2021

You found the light :)

rcbuse
RE Developer

25 Feb 2021

Same here. I burned though 3 macbook pros that didn't seem to ever make it past the 3 year mark.. bloated batteries, dead display chips, busted keyboards.. all just went to shit even after helping them limp along with replacement parts. Not to mention they killed off the 17" versions.. The two dells I had previous to switching to the macbooks still worked just fine, albeit terribly slow by todays standards. I went and picked up a new dell with a nice display. Windows 10 is a bit of a mess, but I've been getting it sorted.

Heater

25 Feb 2021

I’d go down that route too but Logic doesn’t run on a windows machine.

I’m thinking about getting a MacBook Air with the M1 chip.

ortxedys

25 Feb 2021

:clap: Im glad im not the only one. For the same price you can buy a half working Mac. You can get a very powerful, flexible, windows desktop/laptop. I like Logic and have 2 Macs. But im genuinely past the hype of it. Don't see myself going back, due to Windows backward compatibility. Which is something people dont praise enough.

O1B

28 Feb 2021

Loving my MBP 13" M1! :puf_smile:

Seems like I'll have this for a while. (3 Years is Quite Enough... :thumbup: )

but, let's not start... well....

...FYI... https://gizbuyerguide.com/do-macbooks-r ... r-and-why/

Do Macs or PCS last longer?
While the life expectancy of a Macbook versus a PC cannot be determined perfectly, MacBooks tend to last longer than PCs. This is because Apple ensures that Mac systems are optimized to work together, making MacBooks run more smoothly for the duration of their lifetime.
MBP-X.jpg
MBP-X.jpg (26.12 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
hmmm..... https://gizbuyerguide.com/do-macbooks-r ... r-and-why/
Why MacBooks Last So Long
MacBooks tend to last so long because Apple takes the time and effort to make a high-quality product. This can be broken down into a few reasons:

Apple controls every aspect of a MacBook’s production to ensure that all components of their product fit together and work together smoothly.
MacBook systems are constantly updated.
Antivirus protection is built into the operating system.
Apple products have brand-recognized technicians who specialize caring for their product.

Heater wrote:
25 Feb 2021
I’d go down that route too but Logic doesn’t run on a windows machine.

I’m thinking about getting a MacBook Air with the M1 chip.

jam-s

28 Feb 2021

O1B wrote:
28 Feb 2021
hmmm..... https://gizbuyerguide.com/do-macbooks-r ... r-and-why/
Why MacBooks Last So Long
MacBooks tend to last so long because Apple takes the time and effort to make a high-quality product. This can be broken down into a few reasons:

Apple controls every aspect of a MacBook’s production to ensure that all components of their product fit together and work together smoothly.
MacBook systems are constantly updated.
Antivirus protection is built into the operating system.
Apple products have brand-recognized technicians who specialize caring for their product.
Louis Rossmann tends to disagree.

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Feb 2021

I recently assembled a new desktop PC for $500 (i3-10gen, 32GB RAM, SSD+HDD1TB). The former one lasted 10 years and just grew too old. The three displays still doing well so I saved on that (to the benefits of desktops over laptops).

guitfnky

28 Feb 2021

PCs last just as long as Macs, as long as you use decent parts and don’t put it together using power tools or something. the OS and stability are no longer serious concerns on PC, so as long as you do your homework and either put it together yourself with good components, or buy pre-built from a reputable computer company (maybe don’t get something off-shelf at Best Buy or Wal-Mart), you should have a computer that lasts just as long, or longer than a Mac (you can spend some of that savings on more powerful hardware).

they’re both good platforms with their own pros and cons. anyone still peddling the tired old “mAcS aRe BeTtEr” argument in 2021 should come out of their caves for some fresh air. :lol:
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

gullum

04 Mar 2021

I've been thinking of getting a windows next time but so far my iMac 21 late 2012 has no problem with anything I do in Reason (I don't use VSTat all) so not in a hurry to change. But might very well be windows next

tronam

04 Mar 2021

I've switched back and forth several times over the years and I actually like the current version of Windows 10 just fine. I'm on macOS currently because I got tired of being a system building computer nerd, but I may switch back again someday if the price/performance tradeoff is wildly out of balance when I eventually need to upgrade. If I can find a PC laptop that runs as quietly (i.e. zero noise), cool and performant as the new M1 or future Mx, I might consider it.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

bitley

05 Mar 2021

Very surprising conclusions here (only read the first few posts, sorry for that) but I am sitting here with a Macbook from 2012 that I just bought, and I think it will serve me very well indeed. Most of all problematic situations that can occur with Reason are related to the soundcard settings really so if you have a Surface computer with great soundcard & drivers of course it will work but no chance that it will outperform a Mac in quantities. Chances are they will perform equally if they've got similar specs but my experience tells me that a Mac will offer better performance in nearly all cases. I've only had real ("Mac-like") success on Windows machines when using internally installed semi pro soundcards (Motu) or Firewire interfaces.

EdGrip

06 Mar 2021

The 17" workstation-class Dell I bought (used and refurbished) in 2015, for MacBook money, is still bopping along as if it were new (touch wood!)
It's still a fast laptop by laptop standards today, but a 4-core Haswell era processor can't carry very many U-He Repros at once.

I think if you buy proper workstation-level PCs (or are very well educated at choosing components for a self-build), and avoid gaming stuff, you'll be fine for years.

My understanding of the problem with the lifespan of Macs, assuming the hardware is still fine, is that Apple unilaterally stop supporting hardware older than 7 or 8 years with OS updates, and gradually cripple old hanging-on OS versions. The body is willing but the mind no longer supports this product.

You can stick Windows on any old PC as long as it has the RAM.

When you consider the sheer number of ages and brands of systems that Windows has to be compatible with, from netbooks to point-of-sale systems, it's ridiculous that Apple are like "But sir, surely you don't expect us to make Mac OS compatible with our very own hardware from 8 years ago! Impossible! Madness!"

There seems to be a huge element of planned obselesce with Apple that is absent from PCs, which are in competition with all other PCs.

So although the M1 chips are fascinating and exciting, and the hardware always beautiful, for that reason I don't think I'll try the Mac side. Stuff like making a mouse with only one button annoys me. Mate, I like having more than one button on a mouse. It's not a design flaw of mice that needed fixing. I can open in new tab one-handed!

As long as everyone's happy with their computers most of the time, and the computers don't annoy us with nonsense too often, that's the main thing. But *buying* a 9 year old MacBook? Brave.

tronam

06 Mar 2021

It’s been a while since I’ve seen the old one-button mouse complaint, but I guess some misconceptions never die. I was using multi-button mice on the Mac in 1999. Even Apple’s own mice went 2-button in 2005 and MacBooks have been two-finger tap to right-click for many years. Most just use 3rd party though like Razer or Logitech for more flexible mousing.

VariableX

06 Mar 2021

ive allways bought and been very happy with Dell laptops.
when you look at the hardware in an Apple you can spec up similar hardware on a dell laptop for half the price.
the only downside is windows but you can run a virtual linix box or dual boot so only have to use windows for Reason 😀

tronam

06 Mar 2021

fretshot7 wrote:
06 Mar 2021
when you look at the hardware in an Apple you can spec up similar hardware on a dell laptop for half the price.
Oh really? Which model of Dell laptop can match the performance, 20 hours of battery life, color calibrated screen quality and zero noise of my $1300 MacBook Pro for $650?

I actually want to get another PC eventually, but I’m waiting for Intel’s stranglehold on the CPU market to continue loosening. Their high prices and lack of innovation over the past 5+ years has really held back the PC market. I want to see the next generation of AMD’s mobile chipsets.

Social Exodus

06 Mar 2021

Personally, I have a 2012 Sweetwater Creation Station i5 Ivy Bridge that still runs great. Even better, I just "upgraded" it not long ago with a 500gb SSD system drive and a 1tb SSD for my projects drive and 24gb of memory (total of 28gb) -- all for under $250. It's up and running before I pull my chair out and sit down now. Granted, the i5 could be a better processor but hey I've got a total of $1500 in the machine over 9 years ($166.00 per year) which IMHO can't be beat. It's also church mouse quiet.

When I got into all of this back then, the battle cry was "Use a Mac or be sorry" in music production circles I was following, but I honestly have had zero problems with the box in all this time and I even got Windows 10 for free (from Win 7). Pretty sure that PC's have closed the gap on Macs in terms of performance and longevity, but then I'm an IT pro and there are no Macs in my workplace ;)
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

VariableX

06 Mar 2021

tronam wrote:
06 Mar 2021
fretshot7 wrote:
06 Mar 2021
Oh really? Which model of Dell laptop can match the performance, 20 hours of battery life, color calibrated screen quality and zero noise of my $1300 MacBook Pro for $650?

I actually want to get another PC eventually, but I’m waiting for Intel’s stranglehold on the CPU market to continue loosening. Their high prices and lack of innovation over the past 5+ years has really held back the PC market. I want to see the next generation of AMD’s mobile chipsets.
oooh what can you do with your screen that i cant with mine? as for 20 hours battery life haha i dont walk about with my laptop in my pocket 😂😂😂😂
but keep believing mate 👍🏼

tronam

06 Mar 2021

fretshot7 wrote:
06 Mar 2021
tronam wrote:
06 Mar 2021

oooh what can you do with your screen that i cant with mine? as for 20 hours battery life haha i dont walk about with my laptop in my pocket 😂😂😂😂
Keep believing in what? This wasn't a discussion about creativity; Any wise person knows you can make music with anything. But, having full performance on battery power (which most high performance Windows laptops cannot do without being plugged in), being able to charge once every 2 or 3 days, and generating no noise whatsoever are practical and useful benefits in a compact, highly portable laptop.

VariableX

06 Mar 2021

tronam wrote:
06 Mar 2021
fretshot7 wrote:
06 Mar 2021

Keep believing in what? This wasn't a discussion about creativity; Any wise person knows you can make music with anything. But, having full performance on battery power (which most high performance Windows laptops cannot do without being plugged in), being able to charge once every 2 or 3 days, and generating no noise whatsoever are practical and useful benefits in a compact, highly portable laptop.
keep believing that you have a superior product. I believe you have a hardware equivalent of a medical placebo.

as long as you are happy and i am happy who cares hey, but please don't try to convince me anything would be better for me on an apple laptop, and i wont try to convince you i believe you wasted your money 👍🏼

tronam

06 Mar 2021

fretshot7 wrote:
06 Mar 2021
keep believing that you have a superior product. I believe you have a hardware equivalent of a medical placebo.

as long as you are happy and i am happy who cares hey, but please don't try to convince me anything would be better for me on an apple laptop, and i wont try to convince you i believe you wasted your money 👍🏼
As someone who has always maintained multiple systems over the years (I have a gaming PC as well) and work in IT, I have no die hard allegiance to any particular platform. I just don’t use Windows for music production these days, although I did for more than a decade and may do so again in the future. I just call it like I see it. Why bother participating in a computer hardware discussion if objective observations about practical features and benefits are written off as plecebo? What is this, homeopathy? Just stick to whatever enables your creativity and be happy. Let the computer nerds talk about specs and speeds.

VariableX

06 Mar 2021

tronam wrote:
06 Mar 2021
fretshot7 wrote:
06 Mar 2021

As someone who has always maintained multiple systems over the years (I have a gaming PC as well) and work in IT, I have no die hard allegiance to any particular platform. I just don’t use Windows for music production these days, although I did for more than a decade and may do so again in the future. I just call it like I see it. Why bother participating in a computer hardware discussion if objective observations about practical features and benefits are written off as plecebo? What is this, homeopathy? Just stick to whatever enables your creativity and be happy. Let the computer nerds talk about specs and speeds.
Sorry if i misunderstood the thread i thought it was a thread for us windows users to pat ourselves on the back for our shrewd choice 😀

However, you felt the need to question if my Dell was half the price of an equivalent Apple - it was. If this makes you upset or whatever i'm not apologising for this.

You also felt the need to talk up your hardware. Its different strokes for different folks, 20h battery - no use to me, sexy screen with a higher resolution - no use to me or for that matter Reason as it stands. Quieter operation, yeah maybe but i cant say i've ever thought about this so i guess its another non issue for me.

When i got my Dell, the Intel chip, memory, graphics card and ssd card were all issues to me and I got them at a spec of an apple twice the price.

• Information