Thinking of going to Logic Pro from Suite

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

28 Jan 2021

hurricane wrote:
28 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
28 Jan 2021
I only use Logic when I have to. I can't get along with the fact that tracks don't auto-label to the file, patch, or plugin name. Just stuff like "Inst 1". Very bizarre that they still haven't fixed that. It totally kills my workflow to have to sit there and label every single track... Something so basic in Reason, I didn't know was such a unique and special feature.
Hey - I never really paid attention to this, but I noticed that this isn't happening in the very latest version of Logic (10.6.1). Without checking any hidden track header boxes, the default behavior names each track by the preset or name of audio file. I just tried it with 4 very different synths and a loop:

autoname.png
Awesome! I did request it lol. I imagine many others did as well. Good to know! I haven't updated macOS yet...

sirmcp

31 Jan 2021

Just got the entry level M1 Mac mini and loaded up Logic Pro and I love it. I’ve been sticking to the internal devices and loops, it is so fun to use. I haven’t tracked live bands in it so I don’t have much experience with live audio but it seems to have all the tools in place for that also. And if you use an iOS device Logic Remote is great. And with idam all audio and midi is piped into logic with the usb connection. It just works great. However Reason is also loaded on the Mac because I love Reason but haven’t used it since I started learning Logic. But if I need it in Logic it’s available.

Billy+

31 Jan 2021

sirmcp wrote:
31 Jan 2021
Just got the entry level M1 Mac mini and loaded up Logic Pro and I love it. I’ve been sticking to the internal devices and loops, it is so fun to use. I haven’t tracked live bands in it so I don’t have much experience with live audio but it seems to have all the tools in place for that also. And if you use an iOS device Logic Remote is great. And with idam all audio and midi is piped into logic with the usb connection. It just works great. However Reason is also loaded on the Mac because I love Reason but haven’t used it since I started learning Logic. But if I need it in Logic it’s available.
I take it you're running the native version of Logic, how well does RRP work as there isn't a native build yet so I'm wondering how it all works together M1 Logic with Rosetta RRP.

sirmcp

31 Jan 2021

I haven’t tried it and yes it is the Native version but I can give it a try when I get home this evening. I have have run Komplete devices to test Logic and they run fine.

gritz

31 Jan 2021

I’ve used reason since reason 2 and have been attempted to convert to logic out of curiosity more than anything but question is if I had both reason and logic on my MacBook Pro surely it would struggle ? If I had both would there be any benefits ?

Who uses both and has it enhanced your musical experience ?

I am truly intrigued by your answers

Billy+

31 Jan 2021

Yeah I'm looking at Logic as a Mac user it seems the logical choice, but if I'm honest about the situation I would rather continue using just Reason however I'm not getting the workflow enhancement I'm looking for and it's in Logic and as I'm thinking the next Reason upgrade may not bringing what I want I might as well bite the bullet and spend £200 on Logic.

I fairly certain that I'm going for M1 hardware in the future as it looks promising and I'm guessing we won't see anything worth looking at in Reason for a good few months it gives me time to save a few extra buck before making a final decision. I was saving for a new audio interface and Reason upgraded so I can just pool it if needs be.

sirmcp

31 Jan 2021

In Native Mode the Reason Rack is loading without a gui, but I have the same problem with Model 15 from Moog and iOS apps don't load properly or at all, not major problem for me just an inconvenience.

tronam

01 Feb 2021

sirmcp wrote:
31 Jan 2021
In Native Mode the Reason Rack is loading without a gui, but I have the same problem with Model 15 from Moog and iOS apps don't load properly or at all, not major problem for me just an inconvenience.
Is this when trying to load the RRP on one of the new M1 Macs? It loads fairly well as a VST in DAWs like Ableton Live, but as an AU in Logic I've had the same blank window usually followed by a hardware exception error. I was able to get this to work by first loading Logic itself under Rosetta, successfully loading the RRP once, then reverting back. it's still fairly glitchy and unreliable though. Maybe RS can at least release an interim patch that helps R11 run better under Rosetta until they can launch R12 for proper support.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

Heater

01 Feb 2021

It takes a while to transition. I’ve been on Logic for a while (wished I’d started years ago) but I’m still a lot faster on Reason. Years of muscle memory.

But Logic is a far better DAW. One of the great things is all the updates are free.

sirmcp

01 Feb 2021

Yes it is an M1 and I’m not jumping through hoops to make it work. I’ve got other stuff that works but I have been using the stock devices in Logic and I’m happy.

sprinkles__

01 Feb 2021

Logic is an excellent piece of software. It has it's quirks, like anything, but i think it's pretty fast to use once you know the basics. I like Logic 9 so stuck with that, but X looks fantastic and i'd buy it if it didn't mean i had to upgrade my OS. The keyboard shortcuts can be fully reconfigured, so if you want to make things work like Reason that can be done pretty well. It also has the environment, which is a patching/routing system a little like Reason/Maxmsp though not nearly as fun to use...

• Information