Nektar Panorama P4: a new coat of paint!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Proboscis

Post 22 Jan 2021

Your Nektar mod is very Devo......

EnochLight

Post 22 Jan 2021

Proboscis wrote:
22 Jan 2021
Is that 'Devo' ?
I'm officially taking away your cool card. :lol:

That's Kraftwerk. :puf_bigsmile:
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

Proboscis

Post 22 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Jan 2021
Proboscis wrote:
22 Jan 2021
Is that 'Devo' ?
I'm officially taking away your cool card. :lol:

That's Kraftwerk. :puf_bigsmile:
Whoopsies. I always assumed they wore blue shirts. But what do I know, in that era I was enjoying British metal bands with long hair, tight pants and bullet shell encrusted belts. Way more Alpha-Male than those Krautvurx chaps

image_2021-01-23_015919.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EnochLight

Post 22 Jan 2021

Proboscis wrote:
22 Jan 2021
Way more Alpha-Male than those Krautvurx chaps

image_2021-01-23_015919.png

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Indeed. It's the tight pants, rhinestones, sparklies, and long hair that screams it loud and clear. :puf_bigsmile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

Post 24 Jan 2021

Soooooooooooo... I decided to disassemble my P4 and switch out the busted motorized fader potentiometer that Nektar tech support had sent me as a replacement. As mentioned on the first page of this thread, the one they sent me had a crappy wire solder point that broke.

IRRITATING. :roll:

So I picked up a cheap solder kit from Home Depot and decided to give soldering electronics a try. :cool: Easy peasy! Well, not terribly easy, but not terribly difficult either. I used silver solder as the 70/30 (tin/lead) gives off noxious lead fumes, and I already have a bad enough time remembering shit, so I figured I'd avoid the lead fumes. :lol:

So I disassembled things (again):

This is what the potentiometer *SHOULD* look like:

And this is what it ended up doing when I barely touched the wire:

This is the barely-on-there solder job that some lacky on the manufacturing line tried to pass off as acceptable:

...more below...

EnochLight

Post 24 Jan 2021

So I picked this up from Home Depot:

As well as a solder sucker thingy, as I didn't want to mess with a solder wick. Cleaned off the old contact and dressed it up with some flux.

That tiny-ass wire is about .8 mm in diameter! I wear glasses, and really wish I had a giant magnifying glass in addition. :lol: Anyway, I used a wire stripper and cut a clean end, and twisted the little-ass wires around. Then I soldered the wire back on to the potentiometer solenoid. It's not my best work for sure (the wire insulation melted/burned a little - oops!) but it worked!

And now I have a 100% functional mechanical fader back on my Panorama P4, as well as a new key bed (on top of that fancy ass red pots/fader paint job I did earlier). :puf_bigsmile: I will say that I don't notice a difference between the original key bed and this replacement that I was sent a year and 1/2 ago, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But at least everything works and I'm done with my Nektar Panorama P4 "refresh" project. Should hopefully be good for another 5-8 years. Woohoo!

Despondo

Post 15 Feb 2021

Nice to see your project all done! My new keybed arrived last week, so I went to my storage locker to retrieve my long, skinny phillip's head screwdriver (forgot how deep and narrow some of those holes are to get to the screws!) and swapped it out today. Keybed feels a little better than the previous two (original and 2016 replacement) and had a ferrite ring around the connector cable. Not sure why the older ones didn't have one, but maybe the 2nd gen ones do? Anyway, I will probably tackle the knobs next.

EnochLight

Post 15 Feb 2021

Despondo wrote:
15 Feb 2021
Anyway, I will probably tackle the knobs next.
If you clean/strip them and end up painting them, I highly recommend this (color choice YMMV). It bonded really well with the plastic and there was no need for a separate clear coat:

Despondo

Post 16 Feb 2021

EnochLight wrote:
15 Feb 2021

If you clean/strip them and end up painting them, I highly recommend this (color choice YMMV). It bonded really well with the plastic and there was no need for a separate clear coat:

Duly noted. Thanks!

• Information