Octatrack GAS Attack!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
OverneathTheSkyBridg

21 Dec 2020

Hey fellow Reasoners!

I've been gassing for an Octatrack Mk2 on an off for the past year at least. I've already got a Digitakt and really love the Elektron workflow, and I'm wondering if any Reasoners here use the Octatrack and want to chime in on their experience with it.

PhillipOrdonez

21 Dec 2020

Will watch this thread to see if there's any reason to want to get it 😂 thus far in happy with the digitakt. I've been more curious about the AR though 🤷‍♂️

Sterioevo

22 Dec 2020

Yes it continues to be a steep learning curve.
I am yet to really unlock its full potential but it keeps giving and I will not part with it.
Flexibility is the primary advantage in my experience.
Although in some respects there are similarities to the Digitakt, it is a completely different beast and is very versatile.
I also have a Digitone and analog heat mk 2 that I am slowly digesting...

OverneathTheSkyBridg

22 Dec 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
22 Dec 2020
Yes it continues to be a steep learning curve.
I am yet to really unlock its full potential but it keeps giving and I will not part with it.
Flexibility is the primary advantage in my experience.
Although in some respects there are similarities to the Digitakt, it is a completely different beast and is very versatile.
I also have a Digitone and analog heat mk 2 that I am slowly digesting...
I figure if I do get one I will continue to use the Digitakt for one shots and feed the Octatrack with synth stuff from Reason. I'm specifically interested in the live looping features and the slicing. Definitely seems like something you can work with on a standalone basis.

Sterioevo

23 Dec 2020

A few uses I have play d around with so far:
- sample player, similar to the digitakt (some of the new operating system updates makes things even closer)
- single cycle synth
- sequenced send effect unit
- compressor/limiter for other gear such as the analog heat
- sequenced backing track machine with effects
- cross fader mixer
- sampling/looping/playing with effects in the fly

The lack of Overbridge is a challenge as the only way to sync is via 5pin midi. With a few quirks I have found my device integrates well with other elektron gear.

Given that it is 8 tracks audio and 8 midi tracks it is a very capable sequencer - this can be a bit of a trap for further hardware synths though..

OverneathTheSkyBridg

25 Dec 2020

Ended up pullin the trigger! Looking forward when I get it...., 2020 has been shit and it's time to treat myself.

Sterioevo

25 Dec 2020

Well you picked a fantastic instrument! It can be roller coaster ride so hold on tight.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

06 Feb 2021

So to update, I overlooked a very important detail about the Octatrack: no MIDI over USB. Can't believe I missed that! No big deal though as I'm keeping my Digitakt which is more than capable enough, and can also relay MIDI from the OT into Reason instruments I want to control, which then get sampled into the OT. Overall this was a great purchase, with an admittedly steep learning curve.

• Information