New PC Build - ideas and thoughts please....

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
bigbadjon303

14 Dec 2020

Hi All,

So its that time of year when I've got a Christmas bonus coming. I built this system 10 years ago and even though it works still fairly well with Reason 11, it has become really slow - instead of reformatting, I'm going to take the plunge and build a new one.

So, the case I've got is a really nice ATXm Thermal Take Armor A30...so this limits what MB I can use.

Budget is around £5-600.

From a CPU point of view I'm thinking of going AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (cooling via a Noctua NH-L12S).
Motherbaord MSI B450M Motor, with 16 GB of G Skill or Corsair 16 GB 3200 CL16.
1TB SSD, PSU (No idea).
I'll have to get a GPU, but nothing powerful as just use this PC for Music, surfing and streaming from YouTube on a 55 inch TV.
I also need an External USB audio device to input my Behringer Pro 1.

I'll be running Windows 10.

Am I missing anything, going in the right direction? I've not built a PC for the last 10 years, so I've been out of the whole components scene. I do like this case, but it maybe better to get a different one (the A30 is great as I have very limited - this has worked a treat).

Thanks
Jon.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2020

bigbadjon303 wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Hi All,

So its that time of year when I've got a Christmas bonus coming. I built this system 10 years ago and even though it works still fairly well with Reason 11, it has become really slow - instead of reformatting, I'm going to take the plunge and build a new one.

So, the case I've got is a really nice ATXm Thermal Take Armor A30...so this limits what MB I can use.

Budget is around £5-600.

From a CPU point of view I'm thinking of going AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (cooling via a Noctua NH-L12S).
Motherbaord MSI B450M Motor, with 16 GB of G Skill or Corsair 16 GB 3200 CL16.
1TB SSD, PSU (No idea).
I'll have to get a GPU, but nothing powerful as just use this PC for Music, surfing and streaming from YouTube on a 55 inch TV.
I also need an External USB audio device to input my Behringer Pro 1.

I'll be running Windows 10.

Am I missing anything, going in the right direction? I've not built a PC for the last 10 years, so I've been out of the whole components scene. I do like this case, but it maybe better to get a different one (the A30 is great as I have very limited - this has worked a treat).

Thanks
Jon.
Loads of USB ports, enough HDMI/ VGA ports for as many screens as you want...and no flashing, coloured lights on motherboard, mouse, chassi or keyboard.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bigbadjon303

14 Dec 2020

Thanks for that MrFigg - no flashing light on this build!! I'm trying to focus the most of my money on the CPU.

littlejam

15 Dec 2020

hello,

happy holidays

i would get a gpu that allows you to connect 3 monitors
that way you can have each of reason's 3 racks on separate screens
mixer / rack / timeline

i would get multiple ssd's: 1 for os and apps / 1 for refills / 1 for samples

i would get a more than adequate powersupply

best of luck with the build

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

Boombastix
Competition Winner

15 Dec 2020

With the budget, I think you got that list to 100%, or 99%. You can save a little with a less pricey cooler, but not a big issue. Sure a Ryzen 7 is better, but a budget is a budget.

I have Ryzen 9 with a B450 MoBo, and 3200MHz RAM. I will upgrade the stock cooler as it spins up and is noisy, I prefer very silent.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information