Bitwig 3.3 Thoughts?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
hfw

30 Nov 2020

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forums. It’s a great place.

I use Reason (Suite 11) but i’m also a big fan of Bitwig. I find using the rack extension within Bitwig to be a powerful combination and good workflow.

I recently picked up 3.3 by way of an upgrade sale on jrr, got it for $108. I am really happy with the update, polymer sounds brilliant out the box and the added depth available by converting to grid works really well for sound design and education. The wavetable module is cool to have and I have been experimenting in the grid with it. I’ve yet to explore fully the other features as I’ve just been inspired to make tracks with polymer and wavetable, but I have been impressed with how snappy things are, it is a pleasure to work with.

Anyway, I’d love to hear others perspectives on the update. Have you been enjoying it?

I upgraded from 3.1.8 so I feel like I got value as the EQ+, saturater etc from 3.2 are new to me too 😀

All the best

polysix

14 Dec 2020

I used bitwig a lot last year. With push 1 I find a deep integration... But I go more and more back to reason itself.. It is for me more musical

PeZiK

14 Dec 2020

I went full on bitwig last year, mainly because of my hardware synths. I then discovered how deep and fun it was and I fell in love with it. I had bought Live earlier, but I couldn't find any spark of creativity there - we simply didn't match. Now Bitwig, Reason and my hardware synths are all in one convenient package and I couldn't be happier...best decision ever - for me at least. ;)

Billy+

14 Dec 2020

I got bitwig with my P6 controller but never did install it and I've just checked my account to see what version it was to see that it was 8 track, only my license doesn't cover me for the 3 installation any advice on how I get it working?

Loque

14 Dec 2020

That Poly Grid looks interesting.
Reason12, Win10

visheshl

14 Dec 2020

even i got bitwig with my nectar keyboard, i didn't like it. i like the workflow of ableton and reason rack plugin. bitwig looked daunting to me

polysix

15 Dec 2020

Loque wrote:
14 Dec 2020
That Poly Grid looks interesting.
Poly Grid is great stuff... but you must spend a lot of time to understand (i spok only for me as a not Modular Spezialist).
Bitwig do a great job with her system. I use both. Reason itself with the great Rack extensions and Bitwig for jaming with push 1 ...
But a song i do finish in Reason. I play a hour and the ideas comes alone...in Bitwig i lost from time to time in details. Bitwig do have a great Browser and the drag and drop is nice to have.
But i like both of theme a lot.
I hope that Reason brings drag and drop and scable Gui (we are all going older :puf_smile: ) in the future... and why not clips coming too?

bangaio

17 Dec 2020

I bought bitwig this month. I went for a used license at a good price with 7 months left to upgrade.

I have logic and used to use live and have been using reason since v1 so you can say I’m rather familiar with it.

So far....... despite having the dual sequencer I’ve hardly touched the session view at all. The arrangement sequencer is very slick. The ease with which you can manipulate audio is seriously impressive especially sliding it around and adding fades etc.

The browser is as good as people say and is a really good implementation, probably the best i have seen in any daw.

The stock synths are generally very good and have a great selection of patches to show what they do. The are complex though and lack the immediacy of reasons devices.

The modulation system is very very cool and very deep. So far I’ve scratched the surface of what it can do but essentially you have a stack of modulation devices that can modulate absolutely everything.

I’ve been more creative in it that I ever was in live already but....

It does just lack the fun, the musicality, the immediacy of reason. Perhaps this is because I know reason inside out but I’m sticking with it and it’s the first time I have enjoyed using the rack vst in another sequencer.

antic604

17 Dec 2020

Sorry to hijack, but I'm selling Bitwig 3.3 with one year of free updates (EUR200), so if anyone's interested PM me :)

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7520839&p=530896#p530896
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

MannequinRaces

17 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
17 Dec 2020
Sorry to hijack, but I'm selling Bitwig 3.3 with one year of free updates (EUR200), so if anyone's interested PM me :)

I thought you loved Bitwig? Do you have more than one license?

antic604

17 Dec 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
17 Dec 2020
antic604 wrote:
17 Dec 2020

Yes. No. :)
Music tech enthusiast.

MannequinRaces

17 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
17 Dec 2020
MannequinRaces wrote:
17 Dec 2020

Yes. No. :)
Then why the heck do you want to sell it? Please enlighten me! :)

antic604

17 Dec 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
17 Dec 2020
It's an awesome - although not perfect - DAW, but because all the modulation & modular stuff is so easy, intuitive & fast, I get lost for literally weeks tweaking & "perfecting" a bass line or synth patch, instead of progressing the actual music :crazy: On the other hand Studio One seems to be missing a lot of things I love in Bitwig.

So I just realized that Reason in a weird way is close to a perfect combination of strengths of Bitwig (modularity, generative / random stuff) and Studio One (linear workflow, comping, pitch editing, awesome mixer), but doesn't go as deep as either of them into their respective strong suits. I can create similarly complex patches in Reason, but because it quickly gets unwieldy and convoluted, I have to stop much sooner and move to other things. Because Reason doesn't have a clip launcher, I need to work on a linear timeline and actually progress the arrangement, even with Blocks or multitude of pattern sequencers. In this particular case Reason is like a proverbial "Jack of all trades, master of none", which somehow seems to be what works for me. And what I wrote 2 years ago is still very much relevant, too :)
Music tech enthusiast.

MannequinRaces

17 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
17 Dec 2020
MannequinRaces wrote:
17 Dec 2020
It's an awesome - although not perfect - DAW, but because all the modulation & modular stuff is so easy, intuitive & fast, I get lost for literally weeks tweaking & "perfecting" a bass line or synth patch, instead of progressing the actual music :crazy: On the other hand Studio One seems to be missing a lot of things I love in Bitwig.

So I just realized that Reason in a weird way is close to a perfect combination of strengths of Bitwig (modularity, generative / random stuff) and Studio One (linear workflow, comping, pitch editing, awesome mixer), but doesn't go as deep as either of them into their respective strong suits. I can create similarly complex patches in Reason, but because it quickly gets unwieldy and convoluted, I have to stop much sooner and move to other things. Because Reason doesn't have a clip launcher, I need to work on a linear timeline and actually progress the arrangement, even with Blocks or multitude of pattern sequencers. In this particular case Reason is like a proverbial "Jack of all trades, master of none", which somehow seems to be what works for me. And what I wrote 2 years ago is still very much relevant, too :)
Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to explain. I agree with what you wrote. Reason’s greatest strength is inspiring creativity and then not bogging the user down with menu diving and extraneous fluff. Is it perfect, heck no but it is pretty darn good.

Krell

18 Dec 2020

I agree with Antic, BW is an incredibly complex modular rabbit hole. For true techy-focused producers that may be inspiring but if you just want to put down what's in your head then not so much. You'll have a lot of fun in BW but probably never finish a song!
Reason 12 // Bitwig 4 // Live 11 // Logic Pro X // Fabfilter // Soundtoys // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

EdGrip

19 Dec 2020

I just realised that's why I went for Live over Bitwig. I wanted something to play with that was musical but NOT REASON because I just get bogged down in the rack, trying to build pointless intermodulating devices with CV, and not being musical. Don't get me wrong, I love getting bogged down in the rack making pointless intermodulating devices, it's just I wanted something NOT THAT to make me think differently. I think I realised that the Grid would be the Rack all over again.

visheshl

19 Dec 2020

EdGrip wrote:
19 Dec 2020
I just realised that's why I went for Live over Bitwig. I wanted something to play with that was musical but NOT REASON because I just get bogged down in the rack, trying to build pointless intermodulating devices with CV, and not being musical. Don't get me wrong, I love getting bogged down in the rack making pointless intermodulating devices, it's just I wanted something NOT THAT to make me think differently. I think I realised that the Grid would be the Rack all over again.
same.
having Reason plugin into ableton live works for me...as Daw its pretty awesome. and i can still have the reason rack to make complex patches if i want. also each instrument is in seperate reason rack instance so it doesn't get messy either. the only problem is you cannot modulate one instrument rack from another instrument rack. but im not missing this functionality too much.

madmacman

19 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
17 Dec 2020
Plot twist of the year. :D

And I must plead guilty: Two years ago I replied to your thread. But 6 months later I finally moved to Studio One.

Wobbleburger

19 Dec 2020

PeZiK wrote:
14 Dec 2020
I went full on bitwig last year, mainly because of my hardware synths. I then discovered how deep and fun it was and I fell in love with it. I had bought Live earlier, but I couldn't find any spark of creativity there - we simply didn't match. Now Bitwig, Reason and my hardware synths are all in one convenient package and I couldn't be happier...best decision ever - for me at least. ;)
This post got Bitwig 16-Track in my shopping cart. 79$ is reasonable. Should I shell out for the proper Studio version? I have the demo open and it seems confusing (a good thing).
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

Wobbleburger

20 Dec 2020

PeZiK wrote:
14 Dec 2020
This post got Bitwig 16-Track in my shopping cart. 79$ is reasonable. Should I shell out for the proper Studio version? I have the demo open and it seems confusing (a good thing).
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

• Information