Which CPU would you chose?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Le Boeuf

Post 10 Nov 2020

Simple question demands hard answers I guess :)

I’m building a new pc and I can’t figure out which cpu to buy to utilize the best performance in reason.

What would you chose and why?

I10900k - 10 Cores, 20 Threads @3.7GHz, Comet Lake. Turbo up to 5.2ghz

Or

Ryzen 5900 - 12 Cores, 24 Threads @3.7GHz, Zen3.Turbo up to 4.8 ghz

Or would you chose something
Else in that price range + - 300$

Is the Turboboost more important than the extra 2 cores in Ryzen?

Thanks!

Loque

Post 10 Nov 2020

I would take the Ryzen. It has bigger cache, better and smaller architecture and currently in some situations the better single core performance, which is more important than the number of cores.

Keep in mind, that such CPUs use a lot of energy which costs money, but keeps you warm in the winter and warms nicely the earth too. AFAIK Intel needs more energy.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

Le Boeuf

Post 11 Nov 2020

Thank you, and yeah I read some good reviews of that CPU too, but also people mentioning that it is worse at lower latency compared to intels latest CPU’s, which is okay for me, I believe as I only play midi key’s occasionally and is more focused on sound design/structure.
Should still be better latency than my i6800k 😅
Loque wrote:
10 Nov 2020
I would take the Ryzen. It has bigger cache, better and smaller architecture and currently in some situations the better single core performance, which is more important than the number of cores.

Keep in mind, that such CPUs use a lot of energy which costs money, but keeps you warm in the winter and warms nicely the earth too. AFAIK Intel needs more energy.

Billy

Post 11 Nov 2020

I would go with single core performance, never really understood the boost function, it's either a 3Ghz processor or 4Ghz I guess its more about power saving and I've always turned that off! Look at the cache go for biggest single core speed with largest cache and don't skimp on the RAM also consider SSD and rather than 1 big go for two smaller.
:ignition: :reason: :refill: :re: :rebirth: :PUF_figure: :nektar: :mac: :EiEPro: :Alesis Mk2:

Le Boeuf

Post 12 Nov 2020

Thanks again guys!

Went with this beauty, pretty stoked :-)

Asus B550M-Plus TUF Gaming bundkort
AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900X Processor (Tray)
Corsair H100x 240mm Vandkøling
Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
Asus GeForce® GT 1030 2GB GDDR5
Vision X2 Black Silent (Lydisoleret)
Corsair TX650M 650W 80+ Gold (Semi modulær)

antic604

Post 18 Nov 2020

Ryzen.
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

friday

Post 25 Nov 2020

As I can remember it right, in earlier days there was a issue with the FPU and AMD CPU's, and Reason seems to use the FPU a lot?
Something like that the AMD CPU's did not have one FPU per core and thus fewer FPU than the Intel CPU's .
Is this argument no longer relevant today?
Last edited by friday on 26 Nov 2020, edited 1 time in total.

aeox

Post 25 Nov 2020

For my next build, I'll be looking for high single core performance but also 16 true cores. I'll have to be mindful of other nuances of processors as well, which I'm not familiar with but will learn about when the time comes to upgrade.

I've experienced having 16c/32 threads with very low single core performance for almost 4 years before getting a laptop with 6c/12t (turning off hyper threading for 6 cores seems to work the best from my experiments). It was a struggle sound designing on the 32 thread machine because I'd run out of single core power in a processing chain (in cases where I don't want to bounce to audio, which was usually never) Mind you, this was an old 32 thread system from 2011, so the newest stuff is much higher single core performance. But hey, I could have almost endless amounts of these "maxed out" processing chains if I wanted to. :D

Guess I didn't realize how important single core performance was at the time, but it forced me to achieve desirable results with extremely CPU efficient devices. No regrets!

Hope your new system treats you well.

dezma

Post 29 Nov 2020

I also ordered the 5900 (or should I say on the waiting list). I would not see any reason to choose the 10900, it's simply inferior as far as I can see. AMD is typical around 30% faster, has lower power consumption and equal gaming performance.

• Information