Audio / Hardware Configuration (PC, Laptop, Balance interface)

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Proboscis

28 Oct 2020

This is a topic for folks with some electronics comprehension (of which I don''t have much !)

The short form scenario is this:

I have a PC connected to my Audio Interface (Propellerhead Balance) via USB, which drives a pair of 8" active speakers.

I would like to keep this in place, and connect the audio out of a laptop into one of the interface's inputs (delivered by the headphone jack)

The long form conversation I would like to have is about impedance matching.

This is what I know about the input specs on the Balance (from an archived B & H Photo product page)

Microphone: 2.2 kohm
Line in: 20 kohm
Instrument: 1Mohm
Instrument (pad on): 100 kohm

As for the output of the laptop, there is no impedance information on Dell's specification page for my model, an Inspiron 7590. It states only this:

Ports & Connectors: Audio > One headset (headphone and microphone combo) port

I'm going to assume the plug/jack is TRRS, rather than TRS

And I'm not sure of the window of maximum output (say, volume) from the laptop. I would probably want the input to handle 100% out on the laptop's soundcard volume)

Any thoughts, corrections, opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.

jam-s

29 Oct 2020

Headphone outputs of consumer electronic (like laptops) usually have line level outputs for 3.5mm TR(R)S plugs. So line in would be the best choice.

• Information