Nektar T4 Encoder sensitivity? (Solved)

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2020

I've been in on the Global settings and tried all the different curves for the encoder knobs on my T4 but I'm just not getting it. When I turn the encoder knob slowly 180 degrees I get up to maybe 30% but when I turn it quickly the same amount I get it up to 75 %. I've tried fast, slow, standard settings. Some of them I actually have to turn the knob 2 revolutions to get the full range. What am I missing. I do not like these endless encoders.

Edit: Ok...linear step seems to be working 0-100% stepped. Why though do I need to turn the knobs so much? It's hardly possible to do a full sweep with just one turn and I've got long fingers.
Last edited by MrFigg on 27 Oct 2020, edited 2 times in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2020

I'll try and reword this as my previous question may have been confusing...
I'm using Nektar T4 to control devices in Reason. I've looked at the Encoder curves in the Global Menu and am not really sure what's going on. Slow, Standard and Fast. Seems the incremental change is governed by how fast I turn the encoder. When I turn the encoders slowly, say 180 degree,s I get up to maybe 25% on the parameter I'm controlling. If I turn quickly I get up to maybe 75%. So...I set the curve to linear and that makes it work like turning a "normal" knob. But...No matter how much I twist my thumb and forefinger on the encoder I can't get a full sweep from 0-100%. That is to say, I need to turn the knob around 360 degrees to get the full range which means twisting it and then moving my fingers back and twisting it again. Is there any way I can alter this behaviour so I can get the full linear curve from 0-100% with just one turn? Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2020

Here's what Nektar said...in case anybody ever wonders.

"Unlike potentiometers, encoders typically have 24 steps per turn. So to cover the entire range of 128 values in a single turn, values need to be skipped. When using the Fast curve more values are skipped, the faster you turn the encoder. The Standard and Slow curves skip fewer values when turning the encoder quickly. The Linear Step setting results in a fixed number of values being skipped, no matter how quickly you turn an encoder.

With the Linear Step setting you should just about be able to get through the full range of values in a single 360 degree turn. "

I'm too old for this new tech.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information