Behringer exploring putting guitar pedal effects in Eurorack format

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2545
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 25 Sep 2020

man, this would be cool. could plop this thing into my control room and put away all the pedals and cables I’ve got hanging around. 🤩


User avatar
Re8et
Posts: 840
Joined: 14 Nov 2016

Post 01 Oct 2020

fb link? Got malware block on link.

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 1370
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 01 Oct 2020

The lack of foot switches to turn on / off individual units is jarring. No thanks.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2545
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 01 Oct 2020

MannequinRaces wrote: ↑
01 Oct 2020
The lack of foot switches to turn on / off individual units is jarring. No thanks.
yeah, that’s a good point. I don’t think it’ll end up appealing to guitarists who are looking for a live solution, without a way to remotely turn stuff on and off. it would be pretty awesome for me though, because I don’t need to worry about my live setup—it would just augment my studio setup, because I could insert it into my effects loop, and also have the option of putting my synths through it.

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 1370
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 01 Oct 2020

guitfnky wrote: ↑
01 Oct 2020
MannequinRaces wrote: ↑
01 Oct 2020
The lack of foot switches to turn on / off individual units is jarring. No thanks.
yeah, that’s a good point. I don’t think it’ll end up appealing to guitarists who are looking for a live solution, without a way to remotely turn stuff on and off. it would be pretty awesome for me though, because I don’t need to worry about my live setup—it would just augment my studio setup, because I could insert it into my effects loop, and also have the option of putting my synths through it.
All you need for that is a reamp box. I use the one made by Radial to output stuff from Reason through my effects chain and record the results back into Reason. Might be something to look into. There are more and more guitar pedal builders putting out euro rack effects so it seems to be quite the trend these days.

MatteoMercatale
Posts: 1
Joined: 13 Oct 2020

Post 14 Oct 2020

MannequinRaces wrote: ↑
01 Oct 2020
All you need for that is a reamp box. I use the one made by Radial to output stuff from Reason through my effects chain and record the results back into Reason. Might be something to look into. There are more and more guitar pedal builders putting out euro rack effects so it seems to be quite the trend these days.
Agreed! i also used the same radial one

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 811
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 14 Oct 2020

I like the idea of super-low-cost Eurorack effects, but these are so bare-bones that they lose most of the reason you'd want them modular in the first place. If all they have is an input and an output, there's no real difference from just hooking up actual pedals at the end of your signal path.

$29 is an unheard-of price point for Eurorack, but how much more would it cost to have a few more inputs, like jacks for rate and depth on the vibrato unit, or distortion amount on heavy metal?

Also, the aping of the Boss visual style is too unimaginative. Copy the colors, maybe, because people recognize them, but at least change up the typography.
The Iron Law of Reason forums: All topics eventually turn into feature request threads; the only difference is how many posts it takes.

Looking for UI design? DM me for a portfolio.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2545
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 15 Oct 2020

fieldframe wrote: ↑
14 Oct 2020
I like the idea of super-low-cost Eurorack effects, but these are so bare-bones that they lose most of the reason you'd want them modular in the first place. If all they have is an input and an output, there's no real difference from just hooking up actual pedals at the end of your signal path.

$29 is an unheard-of price point for Eurorack, but how much more would it cost to have a few more inputs, like jacks for rate and depth on the vibrato unit, or distortion amount on heavy metal?

Also, the aping of the Boss visual style is too unimaginative. Copy the colors, maybe, because people recognize them, but at least change up the typography.
I assume the visual style thing is just a mock up, but I guess we’ll see. I wouldn’t mind if it looked like that, personally—it’s low-effort, sure, but still looks sharp.

for my purposes (a guitar grunt with little familiarity with Eurorack), the rack format/footprint is what’s appealing—I have little need for all that cross modulating and whoozydoowhatchajiggering. :lol: plug in one side, patch them in the order I want, tweak some knobs, get the sound I want out the other. of course if they can keep the cost down, the more options, the merrier!

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 8820
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 15 Oct 2020

I can see the appeal, but only if the issues already mentioned are addressed. CV control is the main issue, including hardware bypass. Even just adding a bypass jack you can use a floor controller to interact.
And that's an area that's lacking in Eurorack in general IMO, external control. I could imagine a modular floor controller that includes volume/wha pedals, sustain pedals, foot switches, etc. which would be super useful for many Eurorack users. And if you can provide some simple visual feedback on the pedal board, such as OLED displays to label the on/off buttons and assign the pedals (with wifi and apps to setup the hardware) you could have a potentially very useful device IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2545
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 15 Oct 2020

I may be in the minority of guitarists, but personally I’d have almost no need whatsoever for any sort of external control for something like this. to me, this is aimed as a studio tool, and since I can record parts in sections, the ability to switch stuff on and off on the fly is superfluous.

already have more than enough flexibility with my live setup, to the extent that I’d never even consider something like this in its place.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests