Any Arturia Keylab MKII Reason users here?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
altron

16 Jul 2020

... if so, what's your verdict of using this keyboard controller together with Reason?

I've been looking for a good replacement of the Nektar Panorama P6 I'm currently using. While the P6 has relatively good Reason integration (still probably the best) I'm not too keen on the design and quality of it (white, shiny case, cheap plastic knobs and faders, cheap rubber buttons).

The black 61 keys Keylab MKII looks like what I've been waiting for...

Decent synth-action keys
Metal case
Good quality, tactile buttons (can you confirm this?)
Quality knobs and faders
Drum pads look good although they don't have a high priority for me.
Smaller and flatter then the P6.

But no official Reason integration which worries me a bit. So if you use this controller how is your opinion about manually integrating it with Reason instruments in particular?

Also, I don't really care about Arturia's software integration as I'm not a fan of their stuff.
Trap is where music goes to die.

Lov2sing

16 Jul 2020

I have the smallest version of key lab and it’s older and okay but I am looking at upgrading to the 88 note version. I like the design and that it has weighted keys. If you are going to get it then invest in their collection 7 software too. Their models of older synths are second to none IMO. The controls work okay in Reason but could be better. I kid you not that until Reason adapts a format that goes over any controller then no matter which one you get will not totally satisfy your every need. Yet this is one of the better units for Reason. Lastly my main controller is the old KORG 49. For some reason it works better than any other I tried and I have almost tried them all. In the end get something that fits your playing And music creating style. Good luck.
We make music for a reason

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Jul 2020

🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EdwardKiy

16 Jul 2020

turns out, you can replace the knobs and faders on the panorama with higher quality or even custom-built ones.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7516411&p=492717#p492717

or you could even print out a Darth Fader on a 3d printer at home.

https://www.stlfinder.com/model/darth-( ... er/776121/

altron

17 Jul 2020

@Lov2sing & MrFigg ... thanks a lot for the hints and link!

@EdwardKiy Nektar actually sent me a set of new knobs and faders for the P6 after mine have become very greasy over the years. Seems that the plastic doesn't last long in the humid summers over here. But in general, I'm not very happy with the quality of the P6. I'm looking for a master keyboard than can last a long time and is enjoyable to use. The Keylab seems to deliver something like that.
Trap is where music goes to die.

• Information