PreSonus Sphere is next level Allihoopa?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Goriila Texas

12 Jul 2020

PreSonus will show Reason Studios how is done or fail too?

DaveyG

13 Jul 2020

Sphere is interesting but I don't like subs. This one has a particularly stupid feature where it has to connect to the licence server every three days. If it can't connect, it locks you out of the program(s) until it can. Ouch!

NDKay

13 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
13 Jul 2020
Sphere is interesting but I don't like subs. This one has a particularly stupid feature where it has to connect to the licence server every three days. If it can't connect, it locks you out of the program(s) until it can. Ouch!
Mhhmm... i getcha.
When you use reason with online registration your computer needs to connect to the servers everytime you open reason.
Just to put it in Comparison. ;-)

Like already mentioned i think that the "Subscription-Option" is just the start and it will change. Not tomorrow, but after some time they will go all in Subscription.

I´m not a fan of Subs either. :cry:

Many Companys saw what happend to adobe and others and dont go the "only-Subscription" route. By allowing both ways they try to keep users in their eco-system (and give them time to , lets say, "accept" it ;-) ), but when the time is "right" they will go "only-Sub"!
AND they will sell this to us like the best hot cake EVER ! ( Like Presonus already did with the Video and telling "at the end there is a much bigger and better NEW Product".) And i REALLY hope i´m wrong !
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

Kalm

13 Jul 2020

NDKay wrote:
13 Jul 2020
DaveyG wrote:
13 Jul 2020
Mhhmm... i getcha.
When you use reason with online registration your computer needs to connect to the servers everytime you open reason.

Like already mentioned i think that the "Subscription-Option" is just the start and it will change. Not tomorrow, but after some time they will go all in Subscription.

I´m not a fan of Subs either. :cry:

Many Companys saw what happend to adobe and others and dont go the "only-Subscription" route. By allowing both ways they try to keep users in their eco-system (and give them time to , lets say, "accept" it ;-) ), but when the time is "right" they will go "only-Sub"!
AND they will sell this to us like the best hot cake EVER ! ( Like Presonus already did with the Video and telling "at the end there is a much bigger and better NEW Product".) And i REALLY hope i´m wrong !
I hope not, but no DAW has actually taken "the plunge" just yet. I think its cause of how much backlash they would receive. PT is the closest to this only cause the perpetual license is still higher than most people budget. I honestly think Ableton could get away with it with their FULL version since they price it at $899.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

DaveyG

13 Jul 2020

NDKay wrote:
13 Jul 2020
Mhhmm... i getcha.
Yeah, but you have the option of authorising a computer with Reason so it will work forever offline (at least until you trial something).
Studio One 5 works offline if you buy it outright but the licence that comes with Sphere is online only. Three days without a connection and it will not work, even if you have paid for a full year of subs. There are a couple of people who went for Sphere without realising the online requirement and are now making a fuss! To be fair to them, it's not really mentioned anywhere on the product page or in the requirements other than "connection required for authorisation". It says nothing about authorisation every three days!

It's fine if you are happy with that it's just that I don't think many people know about it before they buy.

NDKay

13 Jul 2020

Kalm wrote:
13 Jul 2020
I hope not, but no DAW has actually taken "the plunge" just yet. I think its cause of how much backlash they would receive. PT is the closest to this only cause the perpetual license is still higher than most people budget. I honestly think Ableton could get away with it with their FULL version since they price it at $899.
Yeah, the backlash !

Maybe the "right point" is not thaaat near. Lets talk again in two years, after behringer shows us what they have ( btw:for free). On the other side they could also go with an "optional" Subscription plan. Again... i hope i´m wrong too, but i cant help.

Iirc cakewalk had a subscription plan, no ? but i dont remember it beeing "only" though.
DaveyG wrote:
13 Jul 2020
Yeah, but you have the option of authorising a computer with Reason so it will work forever offline (at least until you trial something).
Studio One 5 works offline if you buy it outright but the licence that comes with Sphere is online only. Three days without a connection and it will not work, even if you have paid for a full year of subs. There are a couple of people who went for Sphere without realising the online requirement and are now making a fuss! To be fair to them, it's not really mentioned anywhere on the product page or in the requirements other than "connection required for authorisation". It says nothing about authorisation every three days!

It's fine if you are happy with that it's just that I don't think many people know about it before they buy.
Hey hey hey , that was just to put it in comparison. ( I even wrote that above ;-) )
Not offering a offline license is really kinda :crazy:

btw, i´m not using studio one. Just curious about that presentation and the "features". "Tried" some other daws but there was "no reason" to stay there, maybe it will change next time with the RRP, but i dont think that will be thaaat near too. :lol:
edit: thats not completely correct, lives session view and jamming with some pads is really great! Really wish RS would integrate something like that. (not that i´m the first :roll: )

I wonder how the collab thing will work out. Props Alihoopa had been there for some years.( what i did not use too :lol: )
Last edited by NDKay on 13 Jul 2020, edited 1 time in total.
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

DaveyG

13 Jul 2020

NDKay wrote:
13 Jul 2020

I wonder how the collab thing will work out. Props Alihoopa had been there for some years.( what i did not use too :lol: )
The collab thing is a bit vague at present but it sounds to be only via audio stems, so nothing magical or particularly interactive. Maybe the offering will improve. One thing Presonus are top notch at is including a huge amount of improvements and extra functionality in their point releases.

Time will tell. I predict that the three day thing will turn into a "week or two" thing.

QVprod

13 Jul 2020

The average person's computer is likely connected to the internet daily, so the 3 day thing is pretty much a non issue unless you plan on recording in the desert. Even if you're traveling, there are so many places with free wifi

• Information