Presonus release Studio One 5 and new Atom SQ controller

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
DaveyG

07 Jul 2020

Official announcement later today but one of the retailers has gone off early:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/pr ... -our-times

S1 V5 is in one of the pics.

gdm41

07 Jul 2020

nice find, i am stoked. But the pricing is quite high. If it is bundled with the S5 update, i am fine but 250$ alone for the controller is too much.
Start lending-> http://www.kiva.org

gullum

07 Jul 2020

That Atom SQ looks like something that would be nice for editing videos with but I have a problem seeing it being practical for music editing.

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 Jul 2020

I'm wondering how the functionality and workflow compares to Ableton Push.

EdGrip

07 Jul 2020

It's obviously not on the same planet as Push 2 in terms of functionality - even besides the fact there's no non-linear launching functionality in Studio One. AS FAR AS WE KNOW. ;)

Skimrok

07 Jul 2020

impressive
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

EdGrip

07 Jul 2020

So there's no clip launcher, but there's a "Show View" where you can... Make some controls really plain and clear? Unsure.

DaveyG

07 Jul 2020

It's a headline feature but I'm not entirely sure what the Show View does for you. The next few days will see a bunch of videos and articles about it. Maybe it's the best feature ever. Or maybe it's just some big controls.

They are boasting 60 to 70 new features in V5. I'll spend a bit of time to go through them and decide if it is worth it to me. Something Presonus are really great at is introducing new stuff in subsequent, free, point releases so I may hold off for one of those before I upgrade.

QVprod

07 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
07 Jul 2020
It's a headline feature but I'm not entirely sure what the Show View does for you. The next few days will see a bunch of videos and articles about it. Maybe it's the best feature ever. Or maybe it's just some big controls.
It’s basically what Mainstage is to Logic. Customizable interface that can be set to your liking. Switch between songs and patches seamlessly. Ablton Live is the other big live app but lacks the customizable interface so most performers are mainly using it for backing tracks only aside from the people who produce with it. Mainstage has a huge community, so this’ll likely catch on as well as a cool alternative.

Kalm

07 Jul 2020

Yup, upgraded. No questions.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Boombastix
Competition Winner

07 Jul 2020

If you're like me, you may have a copy of Artist from a HW purchase. So Artist upgrade can be of interest, because:

Artist NEW: VST2/3, Rewire (host only). This used to be a $75 add-on, but now it is $50 (included in the upgrade).
You also get: Clip gain envelopes, Key Switching tracks, Aux Ch (for ext HW Synths).

Artist Missing vs Pro: Chord Track, Mixer Scenes, Pipeline XT (for ext HW FX), Score Editor, Scratch Pads, Show Page, Video.
Most other differences, IMO, can be taken care of with Midi Players and VSTs you probably already have.

S1 Pro crossgrade is >$200 bucks more than the Artist upgrade, and not that great bang for the buck if only Chord Track and Mixer Scenes has some real value to you.

I never got into S1 Artist due to the lack of VST, but now that may actually change.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

DaveyG

08 Jul 2020

Boombastix wrote:
07 Jul 2020
If you're like me, you may have a copy of Artist from a HW purchase. So Artist upgrade can be of interest, because:

Artist NEW: VST2/3, Rewire (host only). This used to be a $75 add-on, but now it is $50 (included in the upgrade).
You also get: Clip gain envelopes, Key Switching tracks, Aux Ch (for ext HW Synths).

Artist Missing vs Pro: Chord Track, Mixer Scenes, Pipeline XT (for ext HW FX), Score Editor, Scratch Pads, Show Page, Video.
Most other differences, IMO, can be taken care of with Midi Players and VSTs you probably already have.

S1 Pro crossgrade is >$200 bucks more than the Artist upgrade, and not that great bang for the buck if only Chord Track and Mixer Scenes has some real value to you.

I never got into S1 Artist due to the lack of VST, but now that may actually change.
Yeah, that "puts right" something that I always thought was a strange omission. Omitting VST from the free version is fine but for the "middle" version not to have it seemed odd. You could buy an add-on for Artist to add that stuff but it cost nearly as much as Artist itself!

DaveyG

08 Jul 2020

QVprod wrote:
07 Jul 2020
DaveyG wrote:
07 Jul 2020
It’s basically what Mainstage is to Logic. Customizable interface that can be set to your liking. Switch between songs and patches seamlessly. Ablton Live is the other big live app but lacks the customizable interface so most performers are mainly using it for backing tracks only aside from the people who produce with it. Mainstage has a huge community, so this’ll likely catch on as well as a cool alternative.
Yeah, I think I get it. I was hoping it would be more like Live's session view. I don't play live so a Mainstage clone is no use to me but I do make a lot of use of Live's session view for experimenting with arrangements and stuff.

jwd606

08 Jul 2020

The Studio One Artist version at £85 looks to be good if you have Reason 11 and fancy a new sequencer to work with.

EdGrip

08 Jul 2020

Good news about Artist and VST. Having a paid DAW - even an introduction one - that didn't allow VSTs was always bizarre.

guitfnky

08 Jul 2020

that video is awesome. lists a ton of new features, and reads like the sort of stuff we’ve all been asking for in the feature request threads. I really wish RS would take a page from them here and do videos like that in addition to their already great promo videos. some meat and potato stuff for the user base, to show new cool (but maybe less sexy) features.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information