Behringer TD 3 and Reason

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Takuan3612

04 Jul 2020

Has anyone succesfully synced TD-3 to Reason. I can't seem to figure it out. I have tried midi and changing the preferences in the midi mode. Any help would be appreciated.

TheDragonborg

05 Jul 2020

You might need to play with the MIDI sync delay compensation setting.

DaveyG

05 Jul 2020

You need to send MIDI clock out of Reason and set the TD 3 to receive it.
Go to : Edit->Preferences-> Sync and set the output to your TD 3 port

If the TD-3 is anything like the other Behringers it will have an "Auto" mode where it will free run if there is no midi clock but lock to one if there is. Otherwise set it to "External"

You can also try sending the clock the other way but that means Reason will not play unless there is a clock and I've had mixed results with getting Reason to track MIDI clock in the past.

EdGrip

05 Jul 2020

This has me wondering how a DAW would even follow a clock.
A MIDI device only has to trigger events at 32nd, or 16th notes. A DAW has to trigger events down to a sample resolution.
So if an external MIDI device is sending clock (just looked, apparently 96 pulses per note), how does the DAW use those pulses to move through all its intra-pulse events? Does it take an average of the last X pulses to set its tempo? How does it make up gains or losses of time to stay in sync?

DaveyG

05 Jul 2020

EdGrip wrote:
05 Jul 2020
This has me wondering how a DAW would even follow a clock.
A MIDI device only has to trigger events at 32nd, or 16th notes. A DAW has to trigger events down to a sample resolution.
So if an external MIDI device is sending clock (just looked, apparently 96 pulses per note), how does the DAW use those pulses to move through all its intra-pulse events? Does it take an average of the last X pulses to set its tempo? How does it make up gains or losses of time to stay in sync?
Yeah, it averages basically. When syncing to an external clock it's always good to have a bar or two before the music starts to let the clocks get into sync. But it's almost always better to make the DAW the clock master. In fact, quite a few DAWs cannot sync to external clock.

• Information