Advice wanted for new mobile hardware setup

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Zac

02 Jul 2020

NDKay wrote:
02 Jul 2020
Zac wrote:
02 Jul 2020
Didn't look like many are getting returned so I ordered one at £297. Coming tomorrow hopefully 🤞
Congrats, too!

For me it doesnt look that inspring........not that i could or would say anything bad about it. Just a "taste" thing i guess.

But maybe tell us a bit how it is going for you :cool:
I will. I'm bound to post a link in the music to the 1st decent tune I make with it, won't be able to resist :P

NDKay

02 Jul 2020

Do you have decided on a "cheap" mixer yet ?

Weeks ago i´ve just searched for fun and found a (at least interesting) one.
With Reverb and "Repeat"(i really dont know if this is a delay) for under 30 Bugs.

( no affiliate)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000167 ... 2e0eRTNMNl
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

Zac

02 Jul 2020

NDKay wrote:
02 Jul 2020
Do you have decided on a "cheap" mixer yet ?

Weeks ago i´ve just searched for fun and found a (at least interesting) one.
With Reverb and "Repeat"(i really dont know if this is a delay) for under 30 Bugs.

( no affiliate)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000167 ... 2e0eRTNMNl
I'm in the UK, and I found this one, very similar to the one you found but no fx. I won't be needing one yet though.
https://www.instruments4music.co.uk/mix ... gITbPD_BwE

NDKay

02 Jul 2020

Zac wrote:
02 Jul 2020
I'm in the UK, and I found this one, very similar to the one you found but no fx. I won't be needing one yet though.
https://www.instruments4music.co.uk/mix ... gITbPD_BwE
looks neat. ..... and again, i would not take one with "2 Masterknobs", each for left and right. :lol:

i just fell in love with the "WITCH" ( upper right of the device ) :lol:

DaveyG

02 Jul 2020

I use a passive mixer for some stuff. Cheap and zero power but you do lose a small amount of signal level:

https://myvolts.co.uk/product/48807/myV ... aster_Red)

And I use a magical thing called a TC-Helicon Blender. Just over 100 quid gets you 6 stereo inputs that can be independently mixed to 4 stereo outputs as a standalone unit and it has the "add-on" feature of being a 12 in/2 out USB audio interface for PC, Mac and iPad. Yes, 12 simultaneous recording channels (or 6 stereo ones). Everything is on stereo mini jack which is a PITA for guitars and mics but spot on for small synths with headphone outputs:

https://www.tc-helicon.com/tchelicon/pr ... Code=P0CPR

I dunno how I managed without it (although I turn off the built-in compressor..)

NDKay

02 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
02 Jul 2020

And I use a magical thing called a TC-Helicon Blender. Just over 100 quid gets you 6 stereo inputs that can be independently mixed to 4 stereo outputs as a standalone unit and it has the "add-on" feature of being a 12 in/2 out USB audio interface for PC, Mac and iPad. Yes, 12 simultaneous recording channels (or 6 stereo ones). Everything is on stereo mini jack which is a PITA for guitars and mics but spot on for small synths with headphone outputs:

https://www.tc-helicon.com/tchelicon/pr ... Code=P0CPR

I dunno how I managed without it (although I turn off the built-in compressor..)
damn that looks good..... but is not exactly "cheap" anymore. And dont my eyes blurr me but are these all "small" jacks ?

DaveyG

03 Jul 2020

NDKay wrote:
02 Jul 2020
damn that looks good..... but is not exactly "cheap" anymore. And dont my eyes blurr me but are these all "small" jacks ?
Yeah. all mini jacks and all stereo. It's really is aimed at people who have a bunch of mini-synths and a phone or tablet to mix together so small "headphone jacks" make sense. There is nothing stopping you using adapters to 1/4 inch plugs or even splitting out the stereo channels to get 12 mono inputs (although there is no balance/pan so mono pairs get the same gain). The box is just one of the problem solvers that is handy to have around. You can use it as a sub-mixer, as an audio interface or as a headphone distribution amp. Or all three at the same time.

It pairs really well with the iPad. A while back a friend brought over a couple of Volcas and a drum machine and we jammed for an evening. The blender let me record the stereo mix plus each individual instrument at the same time, which was pretty cool. The quality of the music was, erm, variable but that was more to do with alcohol and talent rather than hardware.

NDKay

03 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
03 Jul 2020
NDKay wrote:
02 Jul 2020
Yeah. all mini jacks and all stereo. It's really is aimed at people who have a bunch of mini-synths and a phone or tablet to mix together so small "headphone jacks" make sense. There is nothing stopping you using adapters to 1/4 inch plugs or even splitting out the stereo channels to get 12 mono inputs (although there is no balance/pan so mono pairs get the same gain). The box is just one of the problem solvers that is handy to have around. You can use it as a sub-mixer, as an audio interface or as a headphone distribution amp. Or all three at the same time.

It pairs really well with the iPad. A while back a friend brought over a couple of Volcas and a drum machine and we jammed for an evening. The blender let me record the stereo mix plus each individual instrument at the same time, which was pretty cool. The quality of the music was, erm, variable but that was more to do with alcohol and talent rather than hardware.
The volcas came into my mind thinking of the "mini-synth-setup" . It seems its more capable that korgs own volcamixer for that matter, even more when you jam with others ( 4 Headphone jacks :puf_wink: ).
But i really dont have that much minijack devices and using adapters for (nearly) everything feels kind of "inefficient" to me. AND adapters would "rise" the "cheap ""mark"" even more.

DaveyG

03 Jul 2020

NDKay wrote:
03 Jul 2020

The volcas came into my mind thinking of the "mini-synth-setup" . It seems its more capable that korgs own volcamixer for that matter, even more when you jam with others ( 4 Headphone jacks :puf_wink: ).
But i really dont have that much minijack devices and using adapters for (nearly) everything feels kind of "inefficient" to me. AND adapters would "rise" the "cheap ""mark"" even more.
You certainly wouldn't want to plug loads of 1/4 inch adapters directly into it. Something would probably just give under the strain. I do use an adapter cable with my guitar amp Pre-out. Cable is 2x 1/4 inch mono jacks to 1/8 inch stereo. I just short out the spare plug to stop noise pickup.

That witch mixer is certainly cheap, and it has a witch. Bonus. Sometimes those really cheap mixers can be a bit noisy but definitely worth trying at that price. Somewhere I have a Behringer MX400 mixer which i seem to recall was quite low noise and very cheap. A no-frills unbalanced 4 in, 1out mono mixer. Depends what you want really. No witch reverb though...
NDKay wrote:
03 Jul 2020

and what about the "circuit 2" ? ;-)
I'm carefully dodging that question for now. :wink:

NDKay

03 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
03 Jul 2020
NDKay wrote:
03 Jul 2020

and what about the "circuit 2" ? ;-)
I'm carefully dodging that question for now. :wink:
:lol: :lol:
DaveyG wrote:
03 Jul 2020

That witch mixer is certainly cheap, and it has a witch. Bonus. Sometimes those really cheap mixers can be a bit noisy but definitely worth trying at that price. Somewhere I have a Behringer MX400 mixer which i seem to recall was quite low noise and very cheap. A no-frills unbalanced 4 in, 1out mono mixer. Depends what you want really. No witch reverb though...
The "noise-factor" is the point of "holding me back".
I could not find a Video-Review of that device to "get to know it". And thinking of the internet and if someting is cheap and good, "normally" it´s faster on youtube than you could blink.
But on the other side, the "cheap-good=video" is not a "rule" and the device is below 30 bugs. *hesitating"
(I cant ditch the "environmental" factor out of my head, too)

NDKay

03 Jul 2020

update:
looks like somebody did a video in april. But it is no comparison video by any means. :(

does not sound that good tbh.
(but looking at every FX knob at "full" :? .... doesn´t that sound bad most of the time ?)

DaveyG

04 Jul 2020

NDKay wrote:
03 Jul 2020
(but looking at every FX knob at "full"
Probably a guitarist - turns everything to 11. :lol:

• Information