Reason + Ryzen 7 3700x ?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Boombastix
Competition Winner

11 Jun 2020

Anyone using a Ryzen 7 3700x with Reason?

Can we talk about single thread performance testing using monster synths like Diva, VK-2, or eXpanse?

Any feedback is appreciated before I buy components for a new build.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

zoidkirb

11 Jun 2020

I've got a 3600. I've not done any performance testing like that but I will have a look at how many instances of eXpanse unison chord pad like sounds in high quality mode i can run, and report back later.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

11 Jun 2020

zoidkirb wrote:
11 Jun 2020
I've got a 3600. I've not done any performance testing like that but I will have a look at how many instances of eXpanse unison chord pad like sounds in high quality mode i can run, and report back later.
Excellent, please use my attached song file.
My i7 is a bit slow for the most DSP heavy synths. On single core setting I got to 3 1/4 bar (10 notes), then the DSP meter hit red.
I would like to get a feel for how many notes the same patch can play on my i7 vs a new AMD.

For single core testing.
Set PREFERENCES to single core (un-tick "Use Multi-Core…"). My result: 3 1/4 bar (10 notes)

For multi-core testing.
Set PREFERENCES to multicore (check "Use Multi-Core…"). My result: 3 1/2 bar (11 notes)

Appreciate it.
Expanse CPU test.zip
(240.41 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

zoidkirb

11 Jun 2020

Ok just a quick test. Multi-core on, i could play the whole thing at 44khz, 128 buffer, with the meter getting up around 90% towards the end. To play back without hitting red at 96khz i had to up the buffer to 512.

With multi-core off i could could manage was 5.3.1 (44khz, 128 or 1024 buffer didn't seem to make a difference)
Things to note: I've got my power settings to "best performance" but that's about as far as I've delved into settings. I've not overclocked at all, although I've read anyway there is not that much headroom on these chips, and as always it always comes down to the individual chip you recieved.

Just for a laugh, I also tried 44khz, 512 buffer, and multi off, hyper threading off, and managed bar 5.4.1

Audio interface is a first generation Focusrite Scarlet 2i4.

I'm overall happy with the 3600. Cubase has seem much bigger improvements for me over Reason. But In my personal, real world projects I rarely hit performance walls. My general plan from the start was to start with the 3600, and after a few years upgrade to something higher up in the next gen, keeping the same mobo, ie in theory something like a 4900x

Boombastix
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2020

Thanks for that, very reassuring. Just reading benchmarks feels like fumbling a bit in the dark, a real world test like this is so valuable.
Seems the 3700x will be a great upgrade then without getting into silly cost territory.

Yeah, upgrading Intel CPU is a bit annoying when they change sockets so frequently and force a MoBo change too. Another AMD advantage then.

NDKay

12 Jun 2020

This is also very interesting for me.
I also thought about some (bit older) 2600X or 2700X, because of the 3000 line ( not mentioning the 4000 on the way) there are sales with the older ones.
And with socket AM4 you can still upgrade in 2 or 3 years - even to a (maybe then greatly cheaper) 3950X.
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

zoidkirb

12 Jun 2020

Boombastix wrote:
12 Jun 2020
Thanks for that, very reassuring. Just reading benchmarks feels like fumbling a bit in the dark, a real world test like this is so valuable.
Seems the 3700x will be a great upgrade then without getting into silly cost territory.

Yeah, upgrading Intel CPU is a bit annoying when they change sockets so frequently and force a MoBo change too. Another AMD advantage then.
Yes I struggled to find meaningful data too. Eventually I made a bit of a leap of faith, knowing that because I bought a midrange chip the cost was low enough and there will be good upgrade paths later even a few years on.

• Information