Seagull 'Merlin M4' Device, anyone ?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 822
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 11 Jun 2020

I was visiting a friend of mine recently, and he insisted on loaning me one of his instruments, of which I've never seen before.

The Merlin M4 is a very nicely made instrument, does not feel like some cheap, mass produced garbage. Made in Canada.

Sounds like a Dulcimer, but played in the position as one would play a guitar.

Excuse the dust. I'm note sure my friend played it too often :lol:


>
seagull_0001.jpg
seagull_0002.jpg
seagull_0003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 822
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 11 Jun 2020

Here's a 'first pick up' , and not quite knowing how it's tuned.


User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 4595
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 11 Jun 2020

Looks a bit like an Appalachian Dulcimer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
丰2ॐ

DaveyG
Posts: 431
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 11 Jun 2020

Proboscis wrote:
11 Jun 2020
Here's a 'first pick up' , and not quite knowing how it's tuned.

My review:

Interesting fret spacing and sounds better than a bloody ukulele. :thumbs_up:

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 822
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 11 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
11 Jun 2020
Looks a bit like an Appalachian Dulcimer
Yes, that's what I also concluded, from a search on the origin of the Merlin. Sweet Kentucky Twang !

I should make mention though, that the 'straight up' dulcimer is not either reminiscent of the Merlin nor the Appalachian.

The latter seems to be a 'hill-billy' southern American instrument.

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 822
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 11 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
11 Jun 2020
Interesting fret spacing and sounds better than a bloody ukulele. :thumbs_up:
Tuned as D, A, D(doubled).

The fret spacing is diatonic.

Not that this fact means shit to me. I'm no player :(

I do like the rustic vibe of the Merlin though. And plan to explore it a little bit more.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 4595
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 11 Jun 2020

Proboscis wrote:
11 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
11 Jun 2020
Looks a bit like an Appalachian Dulcimer
Yes, that's what I also concluded, from a search on the origin of the Merlin. Sweet Kentucky Twang !

I should make mention though, that the 'straight up' dulcimer is not either reminiscent of the Merlin nor the Appalachian.

The latter seems to be a 'hill-billy' southern American instrument.
Yep. Dulcimers are played with hammers in big greenhouse cafes by old men with berets and stubble who smell of tobacco.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 822
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 11 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
11 Jun 2020
Yep. Dulcimers are played with hammers in big greenhouse cafes by old men with berets and stubble who smell of tobacco.
Smoked or chewed ?

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 4595
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 11 Jun 2020

Proboscis wrote:
11 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
11 Jun 2020
Yep. Dulcimers are played with hammers in big greenhouse cafes by old men with berets and stubble who smell of tobacco.
Smoked or chewed ?
Smoked and hand rolled. They also have comfortable shoes and maybe no socks.
丰2ॐ

DaveyG
Posts: 431
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 11 Jun 2020

Proboscis wrote:
11 Jun 2020
DaveyG wrote:
11 Jun 2020
Interesting fret spacing and sounds better than a bloody ukulele. :thumbs_up:
Tuned as D, A, D(doubled).

The fret spacing is diatonic.

Not that this fact means shit to me. I'm no player :(

I do like the rustic vibe of the Merlin though. And plan to explore it a little bit more.
I was using one of my guitars to try to work out those frets. Diatonic makes sense and explains why the noises it made in your somewhat inexperienced hands did not sound too bad. You're holding a precursor to the modern MIDI keyboards and Reason Players where you can force them to be in one key!

You should definitely make a track or two with that. (You could call the first one "My Video Is Mirrored" :) )

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 822
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 11 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
11 Jun 2020
I was using one of my guitars to try to work out those frets. Diatonic makes sense and explains why the noises it made in your somewhat inexperienced hands did not sound too bad. You're holding a precursor to the modern MIDI keyboards and Reason Players where you can force them to be in one key!

You should definitely make a track or two with that. (You could call the first one "My Video Is Mirrored" :) )
Yes, very inexperienced hands.

As it turned out, that clip was done with D# A#m D# . And they were WAAAAAY sharp as well. Almost to the next semi

Weirdly, now Ive tuned it 'properly', I dont dig it as much :lol:

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 4595
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 11 Jun 2020

Proboscis wrote:
11 Jun 2020
DaveyG wrote:
11 Jun 2020
I was using one of my guitars to try to work out those frets. Diatonic makes sense and explains why the noises it made in your somewhat inexperienced hands did not sound too bad. You're holding a precursor to the modern MIDI keyboards and Reason Players where you can force them to be in one key!

You should definitely make a track or two with that. (You could call the first one "My Video Is Mirrored" :) )
Yes, very inexperienced hands.

As it turned out, that clip was done with D# A#m D# . And they were WAAAAAY sharp as well. Almost to the next semi

Weirdly, now Ive tuned it 'properly', I dont dig it as much :lol:
Tune all the strings to E and play Hawkwind songs.
丰2ॐ

DaveyG
Posts: 431
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 11 Jun 2020

Proboscis wrote:
11 Jun 2020
DaveyG wrote:
11 Jun 2020
I was using one of my guitars to try to work out those frets. Diatonic makes sense and explains why the noises it made in your somewhat inexperienced hands did not sound too bad. You're holding a precursor to the modern MIDI keyboards and Reason Players where you can force them to be in one key!

You should definitely make a track or two with that. (You could call the first one "My Video Is Mirrored" :) )
Yes, very inexperienced hands.

As it turned out, that clip was done with D# A#m D# . And they were WAAAAAY sharp as well. Almost to the next semi

Weirdly, now Ive tuned it 'properly', I dont dig it as much :lol:
It sounded pretty good as it was although it might make it trickier to add any backing tracks.

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 822
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 21 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
11 Jun 2020
Tune all the strings to E and play Hawkwind songs.
I don't enjoy a lot of Hawkwind....

But when I do............ it's this vibe

>

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 4595
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 21 Jun 2020

Proboscis wrote:
21 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
11 Jun 2020
Tune all the strings to E and play Hawkwind songs.
I don't enjoy a lot of Hawkwind....

But when I do............ it's this vibe

>
Thats the one.
丰2ॐ

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests