Akai LPD8 disappointment

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Whirlwind

10 Jun 2020

Hi guys

I thought for the price I was getting a steal but with absolutely no pad sensitivity its getting returned.

Im looking at other drum pads at the moment and the one that seems t come closest in that price range is the Arturia Beatstep.

The main thing for me is pad sensitivity as I really like to get in the grove of the drums.
Can anyone recommend some other pads with good sensitivity around that price, or even had experience with the Arturia?

Thanks guys

DaveyG

10 Jun 2020

I've used Arturia, Novation, Native Instruments and Akai pads and the Akai ones win for me!
What do you mean by "no pad sensitivity"?

Whirlwind

10 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
10 Jun 2020
I've used Arturia, Novation, Native Instruments and Akai pads and the Akai ones win for me!
ah ok thanks

the lpd8. it has no sensitivity meaning it doesn't matter how hard or how soft you press the pads, there's no real/significant change in velocity.

NDKay

10 Jun 2020

there is also the m-audio Trigger Finger Pro, who has touch sensitivity pads. It is discontinued but it should work for for that matter. Maybe you can get a used one for a good price.

Only thing is, the build in Sequencer has some sync problems with reason ( dont know if reason only). I remember something like missing the first or the last step in a loop. And also some things with reasons "precount".
To get it down short : a loop your working on the sequencer ( of the TFP itself) will get out of sync with the reason sync.

BUT if you will use reasons sequencer that should not be a problem at all.

Maybe there is someone who compared the sensitivity of the pads from the TFP ones with the "akai" ones because thats the only (dedicated) pad trigger i had, so i cant say they are better or worse than others. Just there is "another" Option ! ;-)
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

DaveyG

10 Jun 2020

Whirlwind wrote:
10 Jun 2020
DaveyG wrote:
10 Jun 2020
ah ok thanks

the lpd8. it has no sensitivity meaning it doesn't matter how hard or how soft you press the pads, there's no real/significant change in velocity.
That's what's confusing me. The LPD8 pads are velocity sensitive. They respond really well to different levels of being hit. What were you driving with it when you tried it?

Whirlwind

10 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
10 Jun 2020
Whirlwind wrote:
10 Jun 2020

ah ok thanks

That's what's confusing me. The LPD8 pads are velocity sensitive. They respond really well to different levels of being hit. What were you driving with it when you tried it?
interesting.

so I plugged it in via usb and am using it with Kong. it is impossible to hit them softly or even slightly more hard, just doesn't trigger.

ill give it another go if anyone has any suggestions...

Jackjackdaw

10 Jun 2020

Have you checked the velocity settings in Kong?

rgdaniel

10 Jun 2020

Whirlwind wrote:
10 Jun 2020
I thought for the price I was getting a steal but with absolutely no pad sensitivity its getting returned.
I had the same problem with my LPD8, but I found this 3-part tutorial, took the LPD8 apart as indicated, made the mods, and it works MUCH better now. Not for the faint of heart, and YMMV of course, but I'm not at all skilled in taking apart hardware -- it was a big deal for me to add memory to my PC, for example -- but I had no problem with this. Hope it helps. (Links to pt.2 and 3 in the YouTube description)

Whirlwind

10 Jun 2020

rgdaniel wrote:
10 Jun 2020
Whirlwind wrote:
10 Jun 2020
I had the same problem with my LPD8, but I found this 3-part tutorial, took the LPD8 apart as indicated, made the mods, and it works MUCH better now. Not for the faint of heart, and YMMV of course, but I'm not at all skilled in taking apart hardware -- it was a big deal for me to add memory to my PC, for example -- but I had no problem with this. Hope it helps. (Links to pt.2 and 3 in the YouTube description)

thanks dude thats defo a way to do it.

tbh though that much effort for this price, I just gonna send it back and go for the Arturia and see how that differs. if there's not much then I may have to go up in price but we'll see.

DaveyG

10 Jun 2020

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, it doesn't need any hardware mods. It should just work. Try pointing it at a synth or piano or something that definitely responds to velocity.

Whirlwind

10 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
10 Jun 2020
At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, it doesn't need any hardware mods. It should just work. Try pointing it at a synth or piano or something that definitely responds to velocity.
yeh tried all that, same result.

Im looking at the step up - the MPD range. Apparently better response and velocity

Im now down to these two:
Arturia MiniLab MK2 - yes more keys but could be useful for tweaking samples
Akai MPD 218 - just don't want the same result as the LPD8 but I doubt it will be

Any other contenders? Im holding myself back from an impulse buy here hahah

freddykr

10 Jun 2020

A warning about Akai MPDs (I have the MPD226) they suffer from "ghost triggering" and I have read allot about it, it doesn't look like Akai is doing anything about it.
I'm loading the player RE UTL Modifier to filter out anything below 40, you should be able to do the same with something like MIDIOX.

Skimrok

10 Jun 2020

LPD8 does have sensitivity , unless you don't have it on a good surface? the only thing I noticed is the shape can bounce a bit due to the weight is light,
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Skimrok

10 Jun 2020

mpd218 pads are thicker in depth and feel good , I do prefer the mpd218 over the LPD8 because the unit is bigger and more pads to strike with kong, just makes it easier without the bank A and B in use, also its all about the surface the units are on good none vibration surface no issues I've found on my journey
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

guitfnky

10 Jun 2020

whatever you do, avoid Novation. absolutely abysmal pads.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Whirlwind

10 Jun 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
10 Jun 2020
I actually missed this post, no I haven’t, would this make a difference? If so how would I change these?

I’m very close to buying the Arturia Beatstep. It seems perfect for what I need. Good sensitivity, can tweak the sounds quite a bit and also has a step sequencer if needed.

Agh I’m so confused. I don’t know what I want anymore hahaha

NDKay

10 Jun 2020

this is a case of : GAS ! HAHA

edit: first try to get the lpd working with kong, what do you do, if the arturia has the same "problem" ?! ;-)
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

Whirlwind

11 Jun 2020

NDKay wrote:
10 Jun 2020
this is a case of : GAS ! HAHA

edit: first try to get the lpd working with kong, what do you do, if the arturia has the same "problem" ?! ;-)
Tried relentlessly, just not happening.

Gonna try the Arturia.

Thankfully can send them back if not what I want.

Jackjackdaw

11 Jun 2020

Whirlwind wrote:
10 Jun 2020
Jackjackdaw wrote:
10 Jun 2020
I actually missed this post, no I haven’t, would this make a difference? If so how would I change these?

I’m very close to buying the Arturia Beatstep. It seems perfect for what I need. Good sensitivity, can tweak the sounds quite a bit and also has a step sequencer if needed.

Agh I’m so confused. I don’t know what I want anymore hahaha
In the NN Nano device there is a section of knobs that control what velocity modulates. There is a volume knob in there that effectively adjusts the sensitivty.

• Information