How to evaluate a CPU for DSP performance?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2020

I might upgrade my CPU+MoBo, BUT, how to evaluate a CPU Benchmark in smart way when it comes to real world DSP performance.

Case in point:
Intel Core i5-10600K @ 4.10GHz vs. AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X
(I know I could pick a more sensible comparison than the 3990X, but the question isn't really about these exact two CPUs, it is how to do a balanced comparison for DSP between any two CPUs)

Cost: $262 vs a whopping $3500
Single thread: 3035 vs. 2475 (Yes, the i5 is 22% faster in single thread)
Cores: 6 vs. 64
CPU Mark: 15250 vs. 80113 (How much value is this benchmark to understand DSP performance?)

Looking at the Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz you get two more cores (than i5), about the same single thread perf, but 30% higher CPU Mark (19688), and $410. 8 vs 6 cores is 30% more.
Intel Core i9-10900K @ 3.70GHz you get four more cores (than i5), single thread perf than is only +5%, but 56% higher CPU Mark (23925), and $1086. 10 vs 6 cores is 66% more.

So on the Intel side you don't get much more single thread perf for the money and adding cores is something like 15% extra per core, if you can utilize it, but at a cost per core that quickly goes high.

Assume a typical project of 6-8 synths with 2-3 FX added in a chain. Then another 6-8 audio tracks with 2-5 fx. 2-3 FX on the Master Bus. Just as an example.

Is there some hidden drawback of the i5 architecture that we need for DSP use?
How much of the added CPU Mark perf is actually usable for DSP?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

telecode101

10 Jun 2020

you might want to get out DAWBench and https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/cp ... nce-tested

I think to keep in mind, music apps aren't like gaming or video editing (unless that is what you are using your DAW computer when you are not making music). so you don't need gaming level performance. where things get ugly is when you have really large projects with a lot of tracks and a lot of VST's loaded per track. I think investment in a good mobo and lots of good RAM is probably better than CPU cores. (I may be wrong).

Boombastix
Competition Winner

11 Jun 2020

No MoBo wouldn't make much of a difference. I saw that RAM speed optimization could give 10%, but that's it (3200MHz is plenty, no gain over 3600).

CPU performance is king. But the trick is to evaluate single core speed vs multi core (as single speed drops as cores increase).

Just found out that core related virus vulnerabilities are many more for Intel than AMD. Hmmm.

Ryzen 7 3700x seems like a great one then. Saw at VI Control someone driving Diva to the max on a single core with no problem using the 3700x. And another guy running like 30x Massive X, that is plenty of CPU power then.

Cost is very reasonable too.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information